The "mod your Zhalou" Thread
Jun 1, 2006 at 2:48 PM Post #76 of 2,143
I am not using foobar so there is no way to upsample my source. I am using a squeezebox. The static comes from the speakers. somtimes it is barely noticeable, other times it makes me run to the set to turn it off. I tried changing the opamps back to the factory ones and the static remains. Crap.

Jun 1, 2006 at 2:53 PM Post #78 of 2,143
I had the exact same problem. Upsampling the output to 96khz solved it nicely. It's purely conjecture on my part, but I have the impression one should "match" the Zhaolu's internal sample rate. Does anyone know the way to change the Zhaolu 2.0's sample rate? I thought for the 1.3 version there was a jumper.

Jun 1, 2006 at 4:26 PM Post #79 of 2,143
Please don't take this as bashing, but that is a pretty major flaw. Not everyone is going to be using this with a computer.

Jun 1, 2006 at 4:40 PM Post #80 of 2,143
pmkap: It's not 100% clear, what did you swap the DY2000 for? Or i'm just too stupid to get it
confused.gif
biggrin.gif
Oh wait now i got it, OPA2107 in all 3 positions?
biggrin.gif
Too bad they're expensive here, almost 20$ per OPA.
And if i dont like them, i'm screwed
biggrin.gif
What do they cost in the USA?
btw is there any place that will ship OP amps of all kinds overseas? It's very hard to get them here.

EDIT: I just exchanged the LT1057 with the original OPA2604 and it's much better with speakers, gives a more life like soundstage. The LT1057 doesnt seem to be the best OPA to start with.
I didnt notice much of a change with headphones though.

@rest: Did anyone notice a sound change by disconnecting the headphone amp part?

Jun 1, 2006 at 4:42 PM Post #81 of 2,143
I think I had this clicking problem, or something similar anyways, when using a laptop with TBAAM plugged in to Zhaolu. TBAAM, as far as I know, also outputs only 48khz signal. There are no problems whatsoever when I use Zhaolu with my desktop (with AV710) - the sound is clean regardless of what sample rate I use, so I'm not sure if it is the sample rate that causes the problem. The difference between AV710 and TBAAM seems to be that AV710 keeps sending the signal even if there is no music playing, while TBAAM seems to be activated only during playback; and since Zhaolu switches to mute when it receives no digital signal I figured that the clicking had to do with this switching. Anyways, the problem with TBAAM was completely eliminated by using the gap killer DSP plugin in foobar.

Filip

Jun 1, 2006 at 4:46 PM Post #82 of 2,143
Quote:

Originally Posted by fwojciec
I think I had this clicking problem, or something similar anyways, when using a laptop with TBAAM plugged in to Zhaolu. TBAAM, as far as I know, also outputs only 48khz signal. There are no problems whatsoever when I use Zhaolu with my desktop (with AV710) - the sound is clean regardless of what sample rate I use, so I'm not sure if it is the sample rate that causes the problem. The difference between AV710 and TBAAM seems to be that AV710 keeps sending the signal even if there is no music playing, while TBAAM seems to be activated only during playback; and since Zhaolu switches to mute when it receives no digital signal I figured that the clicking had to do with this switching. Anyways, the problem with TBAAM was completely eliminated by using the gap killer DSP plugin in foobar.

Filip

That is interesting to note. It doesn't really make sense that one would need to adjust the output sample rate in order to get it working correctly.
Is there any way to disable the mute function? I will give the gap killer dsp a try later on and see if I can isolate the problem.

Jun 1, 2006 at 4:47 PM Post #83 of 2,143
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
Please don't take this as bashing, but that is a pretty major flaw. Not everyone is going to be using this with a computer.

As far as I know, the only people who have had this problem are the ones using it with a computer.

Jun 1, 2006 at 4:48 PM Post #84 of 2,143
Quote:

Originally Posted by bizkid
pmkap: It's not 100% clear, what did you swap the DY2000 for? Or i'm just too stupid to get it
confused.gif
biggrin.gif
Oh wait now i got it, OPA2107 in all 3 positions?
biggrin.gif
Too bad they're expensive here, almost 20$ per OPA.
And if i dont like them, i'm screwed
biggrin.gif
What do they cost in the USA?
btw is there any place that will ship OP amps of all kinds overseas? It's very hard to get them here.

@rest: Did anyone notice a sound change by disconnecting the headphone amp part?

I just bought 3xOPA2107 for $5,50 each on Ebay (they were the last ones this particular seller had, though). Other sellers had them for $7-8 each, if I remember correctly. I figured for the price I can afford to give in to my curiosity...

Filip

Jun 1, 2006 at 6:04 PM Post #86 of 2,143
Ok my problem may turn out NOT to be a problem with the Zhaolu directly. It seems the static occurs when 1 frame of the flac file is skipped. So it is a transcoding error. I am not exactly sure if it is the last frame or the first frame of the file.

A little background. The squeezbox transcodes flac on the fly in its firmware. I found that if instead of sending files in their flac format to the SB I transcode them to wav on the server first the static is gone. I intend to do more testing but this seems to have fixed my issue.

Jun 1, 2006 at 7:52 PM Post #87 of 2,143
Quote:

Originally Posted by CookieFactory
As far as I know, the only people who have had this problem are the ones using it with a computer.

Oh, I see... is anyone using this with a CD player that can comment?

Jun 1, 2006 at 10:06 PM Post #89 of 2,143
Quote:

Originally Posted by BeerCan
Ok my problem may turn out NOT to be a problem with the Zhaolu directly. It seems the static occurs when 1 frame of the flac file is skipped. So it is a transcoding error. I am not exactly sure if it is the last frame or the first frame of the file.

A little background. The squeezbox transcodes flac on the fly in its firmware. I found that if instead of sending files in their flac format to the SB I transcode them to wav on the server first the static is gone. I intend to do more testing but this seems to have fixed my issue.

Ok I may have spoken to soon. It seems my issue is back.

Jun 2, 2006 at 1:51 AM Post #90 of 2,143
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
Oh, I see... is anyone using this with a CD player that can comment?

I'll run it out of my cd player's optical and coax out tomorrow to test it.
Page 14 of the Zhaolu 2.0 ARRIVED!!! IMPRESSION INSIDE! also has some info on this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back