The "mod your Zhalou" Thread
Apr 15, 2007 at 12:32 AM Post #1,697 of 2,143
Ok, the 56ohm resistors came in. And now the hum is still there, but only this time with statics
mad.gif

Apr 15, 2007 at 12:33 AM Post #1,698 of 2,143
Quote:

Originally Posted by deuginthesky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I put 2 1000pF caps in serie, what capacitance will I get ? Straight 470pF ?

You get half. 500pF

Apr 15, 2007 at 12:34 AM Post #1,699 of 2,143
Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicDawg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, the 56ohm resistors came in. And now the hum is still there, but only this time with statics
mad.gif

Can you post updated pictures?

Apr 15, 2007 at 1:09 AM Post #1,700 of 2,143
Quote:

Originally Posted by looser101 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you post updated pictures?

I will later, when I can borrow my friend's cam. Right now, only by routing my headphone directly to the balance output can I eliminate hums and statics.

Edit: The more I look into the matter, the more I think that it could be a ground loop problem,,..

Apr 15, 2007 at 4:48 AM Post #1,701 of 2,143
Quote:

Edit: The more I look into the matter, the more I think that it could be a ground loop problem,,..

Is your unit D2 or D2.5?
What's your amp setup?

Apr 15, 2007 at 5:00 AM Post #1,702 of 2,143
Quote:

I will later, when I can borrow my friend's cam. Right now, only by routing my headphone directly to the balance output can I eliminate hums and statics.

I don't think so, because the Zhaolu 2.5 is not earthed.

Apr 15, 2007 at 5:30 AM Post #1,703 of 2,143
Mine's 2.0A. Does going balance fix ground loop problem?

Ori: Do you mean us my amp balanced? They are single ended.

Apr 15, 2007 at 6:36 AM Post #1,704 of 2,143
Here is my latest setup. Please check out the layout:

Apr 15, 2007 at 7:18 AM Post #1,705 of 2,143
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think so, because the Zhaolu 2.5 is not earthed.

I earthed mine when I installed the Zapfilter.
There are plastic rings between the RCA's and the case so if there is a connection I am not 100% sure.

In my situation it made no difference. No hum before or after the earthing.
(230V euro installation with power all from one wall outlet, star topology)

Apr 15, 2007 at 11:21 AM Post #1,706 of 2,143
Quote:

Here is my latest setup. Please check out the layout:

I still think you really need to get that ribbon cable away from the magnetic field of the transformer. As a quick temporary check, just lift the cable up (in the air) as far away from the transformers as you can.

~Renato

Apr 15, 2007 at 2:34 PM Post #1,707 of 2,143
Quote:

Ori: Do you mean us my amp balanced? They are single ended.

Now I'll expand the question: what type of amp and headphones (or speakers) and would you describe the setup as very sensitive, i.e produces very loud levels with very little power?
Second question is regarding the balanced output connection to the amp(s). Which XLR pins do you connect to the single ended inputs?

Apr 15, 2007 at 5:38 PM Post #1,708 of 2,143
Which Zapfilter/Where do you guys order it?! I've been looking on the net for a good half hour and all that Google can come up with is LC Audio

ZAPfilter Mk2 including 115V Schottky Power Supply. Is that the one I'm looking for? LC Audio seems to be located in Europe too and I'm in the US. Is there a US distributor? I'm looking into updating my Zhaolu D2.5A
rs1smile.gif

Apr 15, 2007 at 5:39 PM Post #1,709 of 2,143
Quote:

Originally Posted by looser101 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I still think you really need to get that ribbon cable away from the magnetic field of the transformer. As a quick temporary check, just lift the cable up (in the air) as far away from the transformers as you can.

~Renato

I tried that before. It has no effect to the hum.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ori /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now I'll expand the question: what type of amp and headphones (or speakers) and would you describe the setup as very sensitive, i.e produces very loud levels with very little power?
Second question is regarding the balanced output connection to the amp(s). Which XLR pins do you connect to the single ended inputs?

Overall, I think the amp (Darkvoice 336i) is very sensitive, in terms of its power output. Also, I do not use the XLR from the DAC to connect to the amp. What I meant by bal connection to the headphones is to directly soldering the headphone cable to the XLR jacks of the DAC. And this also inspires me to think that a balanced source to single-end amp will still retain the benefit of noise rejection, no?

Btw, I found that with the original 100ohm and the 56ohm resistors, I get hum AND statics/pop and clicks. With the radioshack 47ohm ones I only get hum and free of statics. They are all rated at 5w, at any rates...

Apr 15, 2007 at 5:40 PM Post #1,710 of 2,143
Quote:

Originally Posted by El Condor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which Zapfilter/Where do you guys order it?! I've been looking on the net for a good half hour and all that Google can come up with is LC Audio

ZAPfilter Mk2 including 115V Schottky Power Supply. Is that the one I'm looking for? LC Audio seems to be located in Europe too and I'm in the US. Is there a US distributor? I'm looking into updating my Zhaolu D2.5A
rs1smile.gif

Try partsconnexion. They are from Canada, but they will ship to US.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back