The MMA thread (Affliction, UFC, DREAM, Strikeforce, etc.)
Aug 19, 2013 at 6:42 AM Post #602 of 1,080
The card itself was amazing. Very, very good fights all around. I didn't even complain about the Hall fight.

As for Overeem, I think it's a shame. He was basically killing Browne in every sense of the word, just like Carwin against Lesnar. Then he gassed and boom, he went down. How Browne succeeded to take that beating is beyond ridiculous. Browne is a tough, tough dude and I bet 90% of the HW division would've crumbled from that beating. Weathering that initial Overeem storm is just nothing to take lightly, he's probably the most dangerous offensive striker in the first round in all of MMA, except for maybe Manhoef. He just came back and (T)KO'd Overeem. I've gained lots of respect for that man. However, this was also one of those fights where I think the result isn't representative of who the better fighter is. No one believes that Serra really was a better fighter than GSP, right? Randleman was a better fighter than Cro Cop? 

Oh well, great card and great fights and again, my hat's off for Browne.

Aug 30, 2013 at 11:01 PM Post #604 of 1,080
Oh yeah! I meant to post the card:

UFC 164: Henderson vs. Pettis 2

MAIN CARD (Pay-per-view, 10 p.m. ET)
Benson Henderson vs. Anthony Pettis - for UFC lightweight title 
Josh Barnett vs. Frank Mir
Clay Guida vs. Chad Mendes
Ben Rothwell vs. Brandon Vera
Erik Koch vs. Dustin Poirier

PRELIMINARY CARD (FOX Sports 1, 8 p.m. ET)
Gleison Tibau vs. Jamie Varner
Tim Elliott vs. Louis Gaudinot
Pascal Krauss vs. Hyun Gyu Lim
Chico Camus vs. Kyung Ho Kang

PRELIMINARY CARD (Facebook, 6:30 p.m. ET)
Nikita Krylov vs. Soa Palelei
Ryan Couture vs. Al Iaquinta
Magnus Cedenblad vs. Jared Hamman

I've got Henderson, Barnett, Mendes, Vera, and Koch in the Main.  :)

Sep 1, 2013 at 11:11 PM Post #607 of 1,080
Rothwell surprised me, he was really slow and uncoordinated at first.. Then suddenly, BAM, a big knee and Vera is down!
This is why I love this sport. :D

Sep 1, 2013 at 11:28 PM Post #608 of 1,080
Sorry I meant Rothwell, not Rockwell.  Yeah it was great when he turned it up to 11.

As if he said, enough of this already, let's go!

Sep 8, 2013 at 4:45 AM Post #609 of 1,080
Since this is an MMA thread, I wonder who will be able to beat Jon Jones at 205 pounds.  My guess is it could be Alexander Gustafsson, Jon's next opponent at UFC 165, or Glover Teixeira, I think that's how to spell his last name.

Sep 10, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #610 of 1,080
  Since this is an MMA thread, I wonder who will be able to beat Jon Jones at 205 pounds.  My guess is it could be Alexander Gustafsson, Jon's next opponent at UFC 165, or Glover Teixeira, I think that's how to spell his last name.

On the paper, Cormier, if he can make weight.... His stand up looks so crisp and tight you wouldnt know he started training MMA only for a few yrs... and THAT wrestling, but submission wise Jon Jones seems ten notches above Cormier IMO, Cormier seems unwilling to trade BJJ against BJJ/submission wizards blacks like Mir / Barnett... 

but of course this only looks good on the paper, if I were a betting man, definitely Jon Jones. you dont know how Cormier will react cutting so much weight to face Bones....

On a side note, IMHO Gustafsson can beat Jon Jones if he stays standing, his boxing IMO is much crispier than Jones but Jones utilizes more weapons... but I dont think Jon Jones can utilizes effectively much of his fanciful **** with Gus, because they are both of similar reach... this might not be a popular opinion but I do think that having similar reach can neutralize the stand up quite a bit... just like how Nick Diaz can bully Robbie Lawler/Gomi but cant get his **** going against Condit, just like how Semmi Schilt can bully almost all his opponents but cant get his **** going against quite a giant like Hong Man Choi....

but if it goes on the grappling wise, Jones has superior wrestling and has shown much more capable submission than Gus...

If I were a betting man, it would be Jones Jones Jones Jones Jones.... I am a Fedor fan and dislike Jones quite a bit, but it seems inevitable Jones would be the best p4p of ALL time...

but again this is MMA, you know that a big left hook from Glover can end it all, and you can hope for it :)

Sep 11, 2013 at 11:15 AM Post #611 of 1,080
On the paper, Cormier, if he can make weight.... His stand up looks so crisp and tight you wouldnt know he started training MMA only for a few yrs... and THAT wrestling, but submission wise Jon Jones seems ten notches above Cormier IMO, Cormier seems unwilling to trade BJJ against BJJ/submission wizards blacks like Mir / Barnett... 

but of course this only looks good on the paper, if I were a betting man, definitely Jon Jones. you dont know how Cormier will react cutting so much weight to face Bones....

On a side note, IMHO Gustafsson can beat Jon Jones if he stays standing, his boxing IMO is much crispier than Jones but Jones utilizes more weapons... but I dont think Jon Jones can utilizes effectively much of his fanciful **** with Gus, because they are both of similar reach... this might not be a popular opinion but I do think that having similar reach can neutralize the stand up quite a bit... just like how Nick Diaz can bully Robbie Lawler/Gomi but cant get his **** going against Condit, just like how Semmi Schilt can bully almost all his opponents but cant get his **** going against quite a giant like Hong Man Choi....

but if it goes on the grappling wise, Jones has superior wrestling and has shown much more capable submission than Gus...

If I were a betting man, it would be Jones Jones Jones Jones Jones.... I am a Fedor fan and dislike Jones quite a bit, but it seems inevitable Jones would be the best p4p of ALL time...

but again this is MMA, you know that a big left hook from Glover can end it all, and you can hope for it :)

Sep 17, 2013 at 3:22 PM Post #615 of 1,080
My prediction is that Mayweather is going to win 
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back