The MMA thread (Affliction, UFC, DREAM, Strikeforce, etc.)
Oct 2, 2012 at 11:05 AM Post #451 of 1,080
I believe UFC 153 main event was supposed to be Koch vs Aldo, then Koch got injured and then it was Edgar vs Aldo and Aldo got injured so they needed another main event. Silva stepped in but he said he won't do the weight so he will fight any light heavyweight except Jones. So yeah Bonnar fight doesn't make sense, but it's standin main event.

Silva would destroy Shogun.

Oct 2, 2012 at 3:44 PM Post #452 of 1,080
Quote:
I believe UFC 153 main event was supposed to be Koch vs Aldo, then Koch got injured and then it was Edgar vs Aldo and Aldo got injured so they needed another main event. Silva stepped in but he said he won't do the weight so he will fight any light heavyweight except Jones. So yeah Bonnar fight doesn't make sense, but it's standin main event.

Silva would destroy Shogun.

Silva would most probably win over Shogun (I hate the usage of the words "destroy", "kill", "rip a new one", and so on when it comes to MMA). It's rather baffling though, that Shogun was regarded as the next top dog after Wanderlei in Chute Boxe, and Anderson was sort of left out. I also believe that Anderson was rather pissed about that fact for a long time as I seem to recall him saying something about it in an interview years after he split from Chute Boxe. On the other hand, Shogun did what he did - and he was held, rightfully so, very high. Shogun was at the time one of the most talented LHWs there was.

Oct 8, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #453 of 1,080
I think Shogun would have a much better chance at beating Anderson Silva than Bonnar, though remembering the performances of both Bonnar and Shogun against Jones,
think Bonnar is abit more durable (which will be thoroughly tested by Silva hehe).

Oct 15, 2012 at 6:02 AM Post #456 of 1,080
Maybe we should use the spoiler tags.
Quote:

Fitch!  Bad ass!

Yep. I only feel sorry for him for not finishing Silva, since he has gotten all kinds of **** for not finishing fights.

Maia vs Story

This was an absolutely beautiful display of BJJ when done by a master at it. Rick didn't have much to put up against Maia here, which did come a bit as a surprise since Rick is a good wrestler. Maia just .. crushed him. As for the bleeding nose, did Maia break an artery in the nose with the choke or was Rick already bleeding? Some people bleed nose blood easily and a good choke may put enough pressure to make someone bleed. Anyone catch anything?

Fitch vs Silva

Great fight. I actually thought a few times that Fitch was going to get finished, and vice versa. The first rounds were a bit back and forth (although with Fitch dominating), but the third was a clear domination. I actually thought that Fitch was finally going to put his critics to sleep at the same time as he was going to put Silva to sleep - but Silva has apparently a great chin, a great heart and was lucky enough to be gnp:ed in the third, where Fitch probably was a bit tired as well.

Teixeira vs Maldonado

Wow, talk about a warriors heart. There are quite a few fighters that have good chins. The are fewer that have great chins. Then, every once in a while, there comes those fighters with granite chins. Hunto is definitely one of them, and Maldonado has to be one of them. Those kind of fighters are often dangerous despite losing for the most time against the very best. Still, he deserved my respect for that. Teixeira though - admittedly I haven't seen a lot of his fights, but man what a punishment he put on Fabio. Could he be the next star of Hackleman? Who knows, but I for one will be looking forward to find out.

Big Nog vs Herman

Herman always .. how do I put this nicely .. I just can't stand the man. I just can't. I wish so much, in every fight he is in, that he gets beat up. In my eyes, he's down with the Koschecks and Brownings of the world. Big Nog is one of my absolute favorites and in this fight I got to see what I was waiting for. It was a nice armbar too.

Silva vs Bonnar

Sure, Silva is spectacular. But I have to admit that I was getting a bit bored. I hate it when Silva tries to play and fool around with his opponents. I do understand that it's a mental game he's playing and a part of his strategy, still, the guy is talented enough to win these fights without fooling around. Also, I think it was pretty disrespectful. Oh well, I like the guy - I just wish he could stop fooling around.

All in all a good card though and I felt excited watching it.

Oct 17, 2012 at 1:55 PM Post #464 of 1,080
Silva is sick. No one can touch him. I'm afraid Jones would get his ass whipped too.

Jones Sonnet, now there's a match up I wanna see
tongue_smile.gif

Oct 17, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #465 of 1,080
The only reason Bones is fighting Sonnen is because Chaz is a shameless self-promoter looking for a big payday. I will be surprised if this fight is even competitive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back