The MMA thread (Affliction, UFC, DREAM, Strikeforce, etc.)
Feb 22, 2009 at 9:35 AM Post #77 of 1,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by DestradoImpulse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anybody else think the Koscheck stoppage was premature?

The refs tonight seem to err on the side of caution and he just paid for it. :-\

I think the call was premature. But if Paulo managed to score couple more blows after Koscheck went down then it would be reasonable to stop it.

If you noticed after all the fights. The fighters that were getting knocked down took couple blows on the floor before the referee came to stop the fight. They didn't let a Koscheck incident happen again. But I think they deserve a rematch.

Feb 22, 2009 at 1:36 PM Post #78 of 1,080
yeah maybe a bit premature on the stoppage, but nice uppercut followed by a head walloping slap/hook heehehe...man Kos's head touched his shoulder I think.

What about Demian Maia huh? WOW! Sonnen ain't no joke but Maia made him look easy. Fantastic performance!!

Feb 22, 2009 at 3:46 PM Post #79 of 1,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by DestradoImpulse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anybody else think the Koscheck stoppage was premature?

The refs tonight seem to err on the side of caution and he just paid for it. :-\

Terrible stoppage by Ref in Koscheck fight, just because a fighter is briefly stunned and falls to mat does not mean stop the fight, UFC needs to better screen/train refs so they all know what UFC rules are intended to do

Not saying that Koscheck would recover and win, but Ref has to be sure that down fighter is unable to continue defending himself........not make hasty assumptions

In Koschecks case after he hit mat he had arms raised ready to defend from attack when fight was called, defintely not knocked out, bad call

Feb 22, 2009 at 3:53 PM Post #80 of 1,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fido2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about Demian Maia huh? WOW! Sonnen ain't no joke but Maia made him look easy. Fantastic performance!!

That guy is like flypaper.......once you enter his world on the mat you are stuck just waiting to be subbed. Must make him stand-up and not engage on the ground.......perhaps Sonnen has learned that now

Feb 23, 2009 at 3:23 AM Post #81 of 1,080
I rarely have a fighter that I truly am a fan of but Maia has quickly turned into a favorite fighter of mine right beside Minotauro. When you see both of them fight, there's a sense of absolute, almost mythical belief in their BJJ that will lead them to victory.

In Maia's case, I haven't seen someone who has transitioned to MMA grappling so well in the past few years. There has been many grapplers who have been champions in Abu Dhabi and Mundials but few of them have made the transition better and so quickly to boot.

My guess is he'll get a title shot after a serious test in Marquardt since every other contender at 185 is tied up with another fights. Even then it'll be at least late 2009 until either of them get a title shot after Okami and the winner of Henderson/Bisping.

Feb 23, 2009 at 3:52 AM Post #83 of 1,080
Anderson Silva fight with Maia possibly later this year.......

Silva fights Thales Leites in april PPV UFC 97, next for Maia very likely Nate Marquardt. If both win we have a real contest that could draw huge PPV crowd.

Silva's only real possible weakness is his ground game where Maia can get a submission win..........but Silva is a lethal striker and Muay Thai kicker, Maia could easily get KO before taking down Silva, he is too one dimensional compared to Silva's skill set

Feb 23, 2009 at 5:12 AM Post #84 of 1,080
The stoppage in the Koscheck fight is hard to say. Clearly, he wasn't "out" but his eyes rolled and he did not know what was going on. If I was the ref, I would've probably let Paulo Thiago hit him a couple more times. It's not like Thiago is such a devastating striker that Josh's health might have been in danger. But if that was a heavyweight fight like a Junior dos Santos, as a ref you would want to err on the side of caution because letting a fight like that go on too long is asking for trouble. That tall Dutch fighter that dos Santos fought looked to be complaining a bit after, but he really should've been thanking the ref for saving his life.

Feb 23, 2009 at 1:41 PM Post #85 of 1,080
You can blame Paulo Thiago for not pouncing on Koscheck like other fighters typically do. He waited back a bit, which made the refs stoppage look premature. Had he pounced on him, Koscheck more than likely would not have been able to defend himself and the fight would have been stopped without question. I don't really have a problem with the stoppage, but the ref could have let it continue, given Thiago's slow reaction to the knockdown.

Maia's transition to the triangle was brilliant and the highlight of the card. Very dangerous guy.

Feb 27, 2009 at 9:17 PM Post #87 of 1,080
That match was pretty painful to watch since both guys are good on the ground but Diego would of tooled him nonetheless.

Koscheck wants to fight at UFC98 and even stated that he wants a top flight opponent; how could anyone not like the guy now? I'm not even a fan of his and would argue that the last stoppage was premature and he just asks that there be more leeway with him since he's one of the premiere WW fighters in the world.

Mar 13, 2009 at 6:45 PM Post #90 of 1,080
Penn Files complaint against St. Pierre

Anyone have any tissue for the sore loser.

Sorry homeboy was dominated in every way - it had nothing to do with Vaseline.

Before the fight BJ was saying he was going to kill St. P in the ring. That sounded a bit like something an amateur would say. Then he called St. P a quitter and then couldn't take it and quit himself.

Sorry but I have no more respect for the dude.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back