The MMA thread (Affliction, UFC, DREAM, Strikeforce, etc.)
Jan 31, 2009 at 9:30 PM Post #61 of 1,080
Penn by 3nd round TKO.
Machida by 2nd round TKO.
Jon Jones by unanimous decision.
Kim by unanimous decision.
Guida by unanimous decision. Possible FOTN.
Fitch by destruction.

Feb 1, 2009 at 2:11 PM Post #62 of 1,080
Wow! What happened to Penn? He was supposed to show GSP that he(Penn) was "god", at least according to the pre-fight hype trailer?
Machida seems like a modern day Bruce Lee to me. I was very impressed. This was what I was hoping to see. He seems to incorporate the best of all disciplines into a very nice whole. I thought the ruffian Sylva was gonna give him a good test but WOW. To me, that's what martial arts really should be. Don't think....FEEEEL...lol...I miss Bruce...he was awesome. WAAAAA...pkow pip pip pkow....

I like the little hellion Diaz brothers. They got real never quit game. Poor Nate just needs some strength training. He just wasn't strong enough to counter Guida who is a little bull. If Guida had better boxing he would be a force I think.

Oh well, the Monday morning QB has spoken!! LOL

Feb 6, 2009 at 4:08 AM Post #68 of 1,080
Both of them are training partners and have stated that they'll never fight each other.

These greasing allegations are getting ridiculous now with 6 fighters saying that GSP is a cheater and in some cases the whole camp greases. Talk about being sore losers... X_X

Feb 6, 2009 at 2:47 PM Post #69 of 1,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by DestradoImpulse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Both of them are training partners and have stated that they'll never fight each other.

These greasing allegations are getting ridiculous now with 6 fighters saying that GSP is a cheater and in some cases the whole camp greases. Talk about being sore losers... X_X

There is clear evidence that the cornerman had violated rules regarding this. If you don't think rubbing vasoline all over the torso of a fighter effects the fight as a whole, you're kidding yourself. Start adding sweat to it, and it becomes impossible to get a firm grip. That is unfair, illegal, and by athletic regulations, cheating. How would you describe it?

It shouldn't be overlooked and glossed over. The fight should be ruled an official no-contest, GSP should have his purse revoked and receive a warning, and the cornerman should be banned for good. This shouldn't be tolerated in any form. Fighters and cornerman know the rules, and know they are violating the rules. They need to held accountable.

Feb 6, 2009 at 8:35 PM Post #70 of 1,080
I don't think a little bit of vaseline on a body is a huge deal. Call it a competitve edge. Sort of like an "accidental" thumb in the eye. LOL wink wink

I mean it was only a small amount of vaseline if anything. It ain't like it was Astroglide or something...lmao

So then Penn was beaten by a small amount of vaseline? WOW

Feb 6, 2009 at 8:47 PM Post #71 of 1,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fido2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think a little bit of vaseline on a body is a huge deal. Call it a competitve edge. Sort of like an "accidental" thumb in the eye. LOL wink wink

I mean it was only a small amount of vaseline if anything. It ain't like it was Astroglide or something...lmao

So then Penn was beaten by a small amount of vaseline? WOW

No, Penn wasn't beaten by vaseline, but it still is a clear violation of the rules. Why have the rules at all if they aren't going to be followed?

Small amount or not, it does make a difference, and simply isn't fair.

Feb 7, 2009 at 2:20 AM Post #72 of 1,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by EyeAmEye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is clear evidence that the cornerman had violated rules regarding this. If you don't think rubbing vasoline all over the torso of a fighter effects the fight as a whole, you're kidding yourself. Start adding sweat to it, and it becomes impossible to get a firm grip. That is unfair, illegal, and by athletic regulations, cheating. How would you describe it?

It shouldn't be overlooked and glossed over. The fight should be ruled an official no-contest, GSP should have his purse revoked and receive a warning, and the cornerman should be banned for good. This shouldn't be tolerated in any form. Fighters and cornerman know the rules, and know they are violating the rules. They need to held accountable.

NSAC rules state that if it's an excessive amount then it's illegal. GSP's cornermen only rubbed it on his cheeks then rubbed his back with trace amounts left at best. With that said GSP didn't break any rules per se but we've already seen all of the allegations that are bordering on ridiculous right now and some chalk full of crap. IIRC a few fighters that are saying he has started greasing since the move over to Jackson's camp and yet their match happened well before that.

I'm saying this as a BJ Penn fan that he wouldn't have won the fight irregardless; GSP worked him throughly with the takedowns and grease or no grease wasn't going to stop him from that ridiculous control game/GNP. You got a guy who cuts from 185-190 who's physically gifted as one can be versus a guy who supposedly bulks up to make 155 much less 170. Pair that with BJ Penn who isn't as strong on the bottom as opposed to on top against a guy who uses the explosiveness of wrestling to compliment his BJJ and you get what happened last Saturday.

Feb 7, 2009 at 1:11 PM Post #73 of 1,080
Well said Destrado. It really wasn't a close fight at all. It's not like it went all five rounds and there was a split decision or something. Penn QUIT in the 4th. If Penn would have finished the fight he might have a better case IMO. I cannot say that I am a Penn fan however; Penn is a great fighter and a worthy champ in the 155 division. At 145-155 he is a machine. Maybe he should just give up on being king of the world.

Feb 14, 2009 at 1:47 PM Post #74 of 1,080
Boo-urns to Quebec for trying to pull a fast one on the UFC with this:

Rules Shift Jeopardizes UFC 97 in Montreal

Arbitrarily deciding to not allow knees or elbows, allowing a variation of a 10-count and worst of all telling the UFC to use a smaller cage; who the hell do they think they are? Their athletic commission looks painfully inept with these demands and I hope that it'll be cleared by then or else they might just pull the plug on any shows in Quebec for a while.

Feb 22, 2009 at 8:03 AM Post #75 of 1,080
Anybody else think the Koscheck stoppage was premature?

The refs tonight seem to err on the side of caution and he just paid for it. :-\

Users who are viewing this thread

Back