The MMA thread (Affliction, UFC, DREAM, Strikeforce, etc.)
Aug 26, 2009 at 11:44 PM Post #121 of 1,080
I'd second those fights, but did you really think the bj, florian fight was unfair? Given BJ's previous fight, I thought it was even. I dint think that the old BJ would show up. But if that same BJ shows up against sanchez, well I guess that would be uneven aswell.

I hope someone beats Silva just to keep him interested in the sport rather than retiring undefeated.

Aug 27, 2009 at 12:41 AM Post #122 of 1,080
not really unfair, but just a bad match up. BJ definitely has much broader range of experience in fights. KenFlo hasn't really fought anyone that was really that good. Nothing against Kenny, but i just don't think he's quite on the same level as Penn yet. that fight only happened because he was the "next contender".

i also want to see someone beat Silva, but it's quite unlikely. Henderson came pretty close that one time, but that one mistake cost him. Silva is just too damn quick, accurate, and precise and the most versatile fighter to date.

Aug 27, 2009 at 2:22 AM Post #123 of 1,080
Hendo hardly got close to beating him, he only won the first round(in a 5 round fight), then got his butt subbed. :\

Aug 27, 2009 at 2:53 AM Post #124 of 1,080
yeah, that 1st round he managed to take Silva down and keep him there for quite a while. i haven't seen anyone else that actually managed to control Silva like Hendo did yet. but in the 2nd, Silva seemed to have "turned on" and destroyed him after an onslaught of unblocked punches and knees.

Aug 27, 2009 at 3:30 AM Post #125 of 1,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by SemiAudiophile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah, that 1st round he managed to take Silva down and keep him there for quite a while. i haven't seen anyone else that actually managed to control Silva like Hendo did yet. but in the 2nd, Silva seemed to have "turned on" and destroyed him after an onslaught of unblocked punches and knees.

Travis Lutter had a better shot than Hendo did. He managed to get mount on Silva at one point before he got owned.

Aug 27, 2009 at 3:53 AM Post #126 of 1,080
you're right, just saw that video. i still think Hendo had better control though even though he didn't get the mount. if that was Hendo on that mount, no way silva would have escaped that easily. that anderson silva looked a little sloppy though in the beginning, his stance was different, kinda like machida's. he seems to have improved his takedown defense a lot now.

Aug 31, 2009 at 3:38 PM Post #127 of 1,080
Wow, Maia... That was a sick punch by Nate.

I thought Minotauro was fantastic. He really put on a great show and was a completely different fighter than when he went up against Mir. Best fight of the night!

Sep 1, 2009 at 2:59 PM Post #128 of 1,080
Oh I am looking forward to Machida vs Shogun Rua at UFC 103 later this month. I just dont see anybody beating Lyoto right now, he's just too disciplined and elusive.

Also, Fedor fights this fall!
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Fedor > Lesnar every time.

Sep 1, 2009 at 3:07 PM Post #129 of 1,080
Shogun's going to get spanked imo. I like him a lot from his Pride days, but I don't see him as a good UFC fighter.

Sep 1, 2009 at 4:05 PM Post #130 of 1,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by ka-boom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh I am looking forward to Machida vs Shogun Rua at UFC 103 later this month. I just dont see anybody beating Lyoto right now, he's just too disciplined and elusive.

What...why shogun? i guess they didn't have anyone else in line. since rampage and rashad are scheduled to fight after TUF, you only have chuck, wanderlei that's available being that tito and thiago already fought him, forrest and jardine just fought and anderson won't fight him...i agree that shogun will be spanked.

Quote:

Also, Fedor fights this fall!
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

no waay! so they finally settled with a deal huh? where'd you hear about his btw? i'll definitely be waiting for this. i hope lesnar gets spanked too.
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 1, 2009 at 4:12 PM Post #131 of 1,080
UFC 102 was way better than the last two events.

Couture-Big Nog was great! Big Nog was awesome, and even though Randy lost, he's still one tough SOB at 46 years old. Great exchanges from both of them, but Big Nog just controlled the ground game.

Nate Marquardt. Are you f'in kidding me?! WOW. Maia's body did a flip after that punch. It was even better than the 7-second fight during the preliminary bouts.

It was disturbing to see Chris Leben twitching after getting choked out.

Nice to see Brandon Vera win, but it was a boring fight.

Re: Fedor - Who the heck is he going to fight if he isn't in the UFC?? A bunch of nobodys?

I really want to see Lyoto, Anderson Silva, GSP & Brock lose soon. Brock especially... POS...

Sep 1, 2009 at 5:06 PM Post #132 of 1,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by SemiAudiophile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
no waay! so they finally settled with a deal huh? where'd you hear about his btw? i'll definitely be waiting for this. i hope lesnar gets spanked too.
evil_smiley.gif

Maybe I wasn't clear. Fedor is fighting big Brett Rogers, not Brock. People like to pit Lesnar & Fedor in imaginary fights all the time, thus my "Fedor > Lesnar every time" quip.

Quote:

"Re: Fedor - Who the heck is he going to fight if he isn't in the UFC?? A bunch of nobodys?"

That's the problem he's always going to run into unless he joins UFC. This guy he's facing in the fall, undefeated Brett Rogers is no small task. But until Bruce Buffer calls his name in the cage - he's going to lack credibility in a lot of people's eyes.

In a dream scenario, I would take Machida & Fedor and throw them in the cage together like back in the early days of Pride and K1. Weight classes be damned!
biggrin.gif

Sep 1, 2009 at 7:34 PM Post #133 of 1,080
Quote:

That's the problem he's always going to run into unless he joins UFC. This guy he's facing in the fall, undefeated Brett Rogers is no small task. But until Bruce Buffer calls his name in the cage - he's going to lack credibility in a lot of people's eyes.

UFC Heavyweights are not really better for Fedor than Strikeforce. Lesnar? Too raw for MMA with no credible wins. Big Nog? Already lost to Fedor twice. Randy? Long past his prime.

Quote:

In a dream scenario, I would take Machida & Fedor and throw them in the cage together like back in the early days of Pride and K1. Weight classes be damned!
biggrin.gif

Machida is a better match for Mousasi, not Fedor. Same height, little difference in weight and both on a win streak. :)

Sep 1, 2009 at 7:43 PM Post #134 of 1,080
Not very interesting card on UFC 102 but the matches were mostly great. Much better than UFC 101.

Sep 3, 2009 at 3:21 AM Post #135 of 1,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by gevorg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
UFC Heavyweights are not really better for Fedor than Strikeforce. Lesnar? Too raw for MMA with no credible wins.

He smashed both Frank Mir and Randy Couture. Those are credible wins. I'm not a big fan of Brock, but to dismiss what he has accomplished in his short MMA career this far is absurd. He is a dangerous opponent for anyone, even Fedor. He has a size and strength advantage over anyone, and he moves very quick. He has the most lethal ground and pound in the game now. If he just gets to half guard, you are basically dead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back