The MMA thread (Affliction, UFC, DREAM, Strikeforce, etc.)
Oct 12, 2011 at 3:21 PM Post #227 of 1,080
Oct 12, 2011 at 3:38 PM Post #228 of 1,080
I think he has a good chance. Based on his style, If he can maneuver out of the way and just counter Jones attacks while finding an opening he might win. I don't' see a knockout or tko though...prob a 5 round bout with decision.

Oct 12, 2011 at 4:21 PM Post #229 of 1,080
I only see Machida being able to counter if Jones is the aggressor.  I don't think he will but thats just my opinion.  I think Jones would be smart to pick him apart from the out side and see how well he can do with that.  I don't see Machida trying to take this to the ground either because Jones seems pretty dominant as a wrestler.  Who will win?  I have gotten to the point that I don't care who wins anymore but I just want to see a good fight weather its a all out brawl, to a technical grappling match or stand up.  I don't want to see them test the waters for 5 rounds... I can see that happening with this fight...

Oct 12, 2011 at 5:38 PM Post #230 of 1,080

Quote:
Who will win?  I have gotten to the point that I don't care who wins anymore but I just want to see a good fight weather its a all out brawl, to a technical grappling match or stand up.  I don't want to see them test the waters for 5 rounds... I can see that happening with this fight...

I agree with you there. It doesn't really matter who wins, as long it's a good fight. I enjoy more technical fights that have good strategy involved, but brawls are always entertaining to watch too. I have a feeling their fight is gonna be a lot of testing the waters similar to Jones vs. Rampage one. I was kind of surprised that Jones wasn't more aggressive in that one. I think he just had a lot of respect for Rampage.

We all know that Machida ain't gonna be the aggressor. So Jon Jones is gonna have to step forward. With his reach, I don't think he's gonna have any trouble picking Machida apart, the question is how well is Machida gonna handle that and will he be able to step to the inside and strike and leap out quick enough.

Oct 12, 2011 at 6:34 PM Post #231 of 1,080
Haha I honestly don't think Machida can handle the reach and speed of Jones.  Jones is if anything just as fast as machida with IMO more arsenal than Machida.  I only say that because Machida has Muay Thai, Bjj, wrestling, karate and kick boxing but he seems to rely heavily on his karate and wrestling.  I have yet to see his bjj.  Jones on the other hand has shown that he can use all of the above.  I do hope to see a KO but meh.  We'll see.  lol

Quote:
I agree with you there. It doesn't really matter who wins, as long it's a good fight. I enjoy more technical fights that have good strategy involved, but brawls are always entertaining to watch too. I have a feeling their fight is gonna be a lot of testing the waters similar to Jones vs. Rampage one. I was kind of surprised that Jones wasn't more aggressive in that one. I think he just had a lot of respect for Rampage.

We all know that Machida ain't gonna be the aggressor. So Jon Jones is gonna have to step forward. With his reach, I don't think he's gonna have any trouble picking Machida apart, the question is how well is Machida gonna handle that and will he be able to step to the inside and strike and leap out quick enough.

Oct 29, 2011 at 11:55 PM Post #232 of 1,080
Sad day for BJ Penn. I really enjoyed how it started off in the 1st round. Nick clearly isn't on the same level as BJ's boxing and jiujitsu. I hate watching BJ getting battered like that, it was just painful to watch. Hopefully, he comes back now and then. It was great to finally see him do a takedown. He will be missed.
frown.gif

Those Stockton brothers have got to be the rudest fighters ever lol.  

Oct 30, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #234 of 1,080
Just watched it, and what a thing to say, "Can't go home looking like this" or something close.

Great fights this time around.

Nov 20, 2011 at 12:41 PM Post #236 of 1,080
Wow that Hendo vs. Shogun fight was not what I expected. Shogun looked a bit out of shape and was kind of winging it to me. Dan looked like he got better though through his last few fights. I'm glad that Dan won the decision, even though Shogun is still my favorite, since he did dominate the first few rounds of the fight especially when he caught Shogun early. I kind of wished that the ref stopped it there because the latter rounds were just ridiculous to watch. Great heart though by both men. At 40, he's looking better than Randy Couture. 

Wanderlei vs. Cung Le
I thought Wanderlei has lost his edge ever since having that surgery done to his face. But did he come back last night. Classic. Showed Cung Le his place. 

Nov 20, 2011 at 3:57 PM Post #237 of 1,080
That was the best UFC fight I've ever seen.  Rua got beat up so bad but hung in there the whole time, then the last two rounds were ultimately for naught.

And as a whole that was a good night of fights.  I wish Rick Story had a little more to offer Urijah Faber... I guess he actually is pretty good.  That lunging upper cut was pretty sweet.

Nov 20, 2011 at 4:22 PM Post #238 of 1,080
Yeah, well Dan Henderson was just being Dan Henderson, what he always does. I think if Shogun stuck to a game plan he would've won instead of going for the kill all the time. I know that's his style, but he's better when he's more technical like the shogun vs. machida fight. 

Dec 11, 2011 at 10:37 AM Post #239 of 1,080

UFC 140

Best card of the year, great fights.

Mark Hominick vs. Chan Sung Jung
I think this was my first time watching the "Korean Zombie" fight, but wow that was impressive. How embarrassing to come out guns blazing and get KO'd in your own hometown in just 7 seconds? 

Antonio Rogerio Nogueira vs. Tito Ortiz
This was rather typical Tito fight, but as soon as Antonio layed it on him with those body shots Tito was done. TKO by broken rib, that was awesome. 

Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira vs. Frank Mir
Wow. I'm really glad that there was this rematch. Frank Mir continues to improve and impress. Just when you think he was over, he pulls out this nasty kimura and submits Minotauro? Quite possibly the biggest upset ever. I think Frank is a great fighter and has good technique but he's still rather sloppy. Then again most of the heavyweights are and rely on their size and power. Looking forward to seeing more fights from Mir though. The Nogueira brothers boxing is way overrated IMO.

Jon Jones vs. Lyoto Machida
Great matchup stylistically. Pretty much happened the way I expected it to. What I like about Machida is that he's very disciplined. He will always stick to his technique, in control and will not just brawl with you. That said, I knew he was gonna come out with a game plan and he did very good the first round. Caught Jones really good and it seemed like he got him frustrated a bit. Then of course, Jones came back, took Machida down and that's all she wrote. Nasty standup guillotine  I found it kinda funny how Jon Jones was kinda mocking Machida with those taunts. To me Jon Jones is like a Stefan Struve or Tim Sylvia with more tricks and that he knows how to use his body as a advantage. Good fight. 

Dec 11, 2011 at 10:58 AM Post #240 of 1,080
I'm glad I'm not Big Nog right now cause that's got to be hurting.   

I like Ebersole.  That was a good fight too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back