The Mike Oldfield Thread.
Mar 18, 2008 at 12:38 PM Post #46 of 78
Funny story: I can remember (some time around 1978, I think) the music teacher at our school playing us the start of Tubular Bells with the preface that every sound on the album was produced on synthesizer.
eek.gif

My favourite single album has to be Incantations, but followed swiftly by Five Miles Out and Amarok. "The Lake" from Discovery is also brilliant, but it seems from this thread that that's a forgotten album now.

I think that Oldfield did more to popularise Minimalism than any other artist.

Mar 18, 2008 at 1:04 PM Post #47 of 78
I only have the 2003 Tubular Bells CD. To tell you the truth I bought it after I saw Duggeh with one in one of his many photos. Moreover it was on offer.

Anyway, I was plesently surprised. I hated the repeatative opening "riff" and I'm not a fan of "sfx", however as the CD progressed I loved it more and more. It's currently what I use to test out new audio equipment.

Cheers.

Mar 18, 2008 at 3:14 PM Post #48 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sordel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Funny story: I can remember (some time around 1978, I think) the music teacher at our school playing us the start of Tubular Bells with the preface that every sound on the album was produced on synthesizer.
eek.gif

My favourite single album has to be Incantations, but followed swiftly by Five Miles Out and Amarok. "The Lake" from Discovery is also brilliant, but it seems from this thread that that's a forgotten album now.

I think that Oldfield did more to popularise Minimalism than any other artist.

Incantations is the album that got me listening to Minimalism composers. It was also the first Oldfield album I bought on CD.

Mar 18, 2008 at 6:33 PM Post #49 of 78
My journey started from Songs of distant earth. I didn't have any other "syntheziser" music at all back then. I couldn't stop listening it. (Goosebumps!) Then I bought TBII and was very pleased. I liked TBIII too, but millenium bell was dissapoinment. Personally I like Tr3s Lunas but Light&Shade didn't impress me much, mostly because those vocal synths. I think those L&S songs would be pretty decent without those vocals.

WARNING: SPOILER AHEAD! Thoughts about Music of the Spheres

I'm maybe the only lawbreaker here but actually I have listened Music of the spheres. I have to say this; It's so darn good I don't know where to start because of my miserable english.... I cannot think anyone who possibly won't like it. It's same time back to oldfield's "roots" but same time very refreshing breeze. Almost all instruments have been replaced by real orchestra and Mike plays only classical guitar with very familiar sound. Only thing which maybe stirr someone a little is first song which have almost same melody as famous TB1 (exorcist theme) -only few notes difference!
smily_headphones1.gif
But most impressive thing is dynamics -very silent to like war sounding inside my head! IMHO, it's THE BEST and most different MO album of all time (I haven't heard those 70's albums after TB1). Talking about goosebumps.... brrrrhh!

Mar 20, 2008 at 6:35 PM Post #51 of 78
Music Of The Spheres is now out in the shops so its mandatory that all go and purchase it. No doubt in my mind that it's his best album since TSODE.

I'm just a little sad that I didn't manage to get one of the 200 signed copies from Play.

Mar 20, 2008 at 7:03 PM Post #52 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Music Of The Spheres is now out in the shops so its mandatory that all go and purchase it. No doubt in my mind that it's his best album since TSODE.

I'm just a little sad that I didn't manage to get one of the 200 signed copies from Play.

I envy you. US release isn't till the 25th, so I still have to wait until I can get my hands on physical media.

Mar 20, 2008 at 7:27 PM Post #53 of 78
Apparently Mike couldn't get rid of that TB1 burden which is "haunted" him through his career. Why? In my opinion first song doesn't belong in this album. I don't say it's bad song, but if listening whole album from song number two I notice the whole experience is flawless 40 minutes "symphonic" masterpiece.
First song is like a relic reminding "you are listening an album from the maker of legendary tubular bells".

All in all this record is hopefully just beginning of the new era in his music. I don't think many of his fans really want more tubular bells or TSODE/Tr3es Lunas/Light+Shade. Music of the Spheres is so good and unique, hopefully he decide to continue this. Real instruments really give proof he is hell of a composer.

Mar 21, 2008 at 12:07 AM Post #54 of 78
Hes revisited the main theme in so many albums though. I think that he and his fans recognise its not something that he is ever going to "escape". Like how Arthur C Clarke was always primarily associated with 2001, despite him having many better books. Same for Joeseph Heller with Catch-22.

I actually really like Harbinger, I think tis the best version of that TB intro note sequence out of all the various takes. I'm also loving that the album is getting so much radio time and media coverage and promotion compared to most things hes done for the last ten years.

Mar 21, 2008 at 12:03 PM Post #55 of 78
I really like the music of M.O., certainly not every album, but most of them. I also think the new one ist really great.

For all the guitar-lovers you should really give the album "guitars" a try which seem's to be not so famous, but is really great and enjoyable. If you are into more orchestral music and like the new album there is also an orchestral version of TB.

Apr 30, 2008 at 9:58 PM Post #58 of 78
Just picked up Music of the Spheres today.
It's a bit bloody good isn't it?
As a classical musician (french horn player) I would LOVE to get my teeth into this work, it's absolutely epic.

I am a big, big, BIG fan. I am ashamed to say that prior to today my Mike Oldfield experience started and ended with TB-1. I sense an expensive trip to the CD shop to fill in the gaping hole in my collection. Best to work along sequentially, or are there any particularly key recordings I should be plumping for first?

May 1, 2008 at 5:12 AM Post #59 of 78
I can really enjoy Mike Oldfield, but sometimes he simply gets too all treble for my taste, and I have to have a week as a total basshead just to recover.

May 1, 2008 at 5:19 AM Post #60 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by stewtheking /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just picked up Music of the Spheres today.

I heard that it was going to be available on memory card or USB stick in addition to CD. Anyone know if there is any substance to this rumour?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back