The Midsize Closed Can Shootout! FC7 vs K26p vs HD25sp
Oct 23, 2005 at 10:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Apothecary

Head-Fier
I know there are a lot of fans of all 3 of these models. To be fair, they all seem to be very good choices. Which one shines under the rigerous analysis of high spirited Head-Fiers?

Forget KSC35/75s.
Forget fullsize MRD-7506s and Beyer 250s.
Forget ultraportable IEMs.

Ipod/Nomad Driven
50 buck +- some price range.

Let the shootout Begin!

Oct 24, 2005 at 1:17 AM Post #5 of 20
The AKG k26p earcups swivel on a pencel lead thin piece of cheap
brittle plastic that will break sooner or later. Stupid design as far as
engineering reliability goes. Stupid choice of build materials. Mine lasted
3 weeks before they broke.

Oct 24, 2005 at 1:30 AM Post #6 of 20
i have heard the old k26p's sounded very good. i heard a new pair at gc a few days ago. all i heard was a lot of muddy bass. i couldn't stand them. try the px100 or px200. much better imho.

music_man.

Oct 24, 2005 at 1:51 AM Post #7 of 20
I kinda thought that nobody around here was a fan of the hd25sp...

hd25-1, "yes" ... hd25sp, resounding "no" ... never heard 'em myself though.

I spent some time checking out the k26p...nice little 'phones, but to my ears, seriously rolled off in the highs...EQ did help a bit. Build & quirky headband adjustment thingy might be a deal-breaker for some.
For the price I think they're pretty damn nice phones in the portable/sealed category...but in fairness, there ain't much out there in this category that's worth shouting about.

Peace,

Graz

Oct 24, 2005 at 3:19 AM Post #8 of 20
Yeah, I got the K26P a month ago, and all I hear is really muddy bass and roll-off in the highs. For the price, I think it's a decent closed phone because it seals well and is a fun phone to listen to for bass-heavy music. But I really dislike the construction because of how inconvenient it is to put the headphones on, and the two little rubber feet that hold the phones to your head often pulls my hair. Most importantly, I can't wear them for more than 30 minutes at a time because of my large ears. The earcups sit directly over the cartiliges in my inner ear, so it begins to hurt after 30 minutes.

I haven't tried the the AT-FC7 or the HD25SP, but I certainly mean to sometimes in the future as I search for my perfect pair of closed, decent-sounding, comfortable, portablep phones.

Oct 24, 2005 at 3:25 AM Post #9 of 20
I have tried the FC-7 and the the hd-25-1.

The fc7 was too painful to wear for an extended time and sounded ok from what I remember, the hd-25-1 sounded ok, but was overpriced for the sound. It sounds really boxy to me.

No word on the k26, but that may be next on my hit list, just in time for winter.

I too am looking for the ultimate portable closed headphone.

Oct 24, 2005 at 10:19 AM Post #10 of 20
so far the k26p's are great for my needs--i'm not one to be able to tell the subtle differences in audio so i won't comment on how well it responds to different frequencies. for hiphop, rock, and trance music, they're a nice cheap solution for me on-the-go.

that being said, they haven't broke YET
tongue.gif

Oct 24, 2005 at 2:31 PM Post #11 of 20
The HD25-SP is severely underrated here. If it didn't share its name with a headphone retailing for twice the price -- that is, if it were taken on its own merits instead of instantly compared with its sibling -- it would have a much better rep.

The HD25-SP is a pretty neutral, good all-around headphone. It is on the dark side of neutral, but still more neutral-ish than not. An amplifier brightens it up and improves it overall, but it still can be driven perfectly well from a soundcard or a portable player.

If you are looking for something that will maximize bass slam, this isn't it (that's the HD25's job). But if you like tonal balance, it's very good. I've enjoyed it with everything from classical / solo piano / solo flute to jazz and rock.

The isolation is pretty good -- second only to HD280 IMO. Comfort is not great: it tends to be snug, and the headband is not well padded. Ergonomics for portable use could be a lot better too: 3-meter cord and straight plug.

I haven't heard the FC7. I have heard both the "early" and "later" runs of K26P's, and there's no question the HD25-SP beats the K26P that you can get now (whether it beats the early K26P depends on whether you prize bass over accuracy and neutrality). I also like HD25-SP a lot better than the PX200: there's nothing really wrong with the PX200, but I just find it a very uninvolving sound.

Another one to consider is the PXC250, which I've seen lately for $75 or so remanufactured (or refurbished, whatever). This active-noise-reduction version of the PX200 has a very pleasing sound when the ANR is turned on, and is a good deal more compact, portable, lightweight and comfortable than the HD25-SP.

Oct 24, 2005 at 2:52 PM Post #13 of 20
On the other hand, the HD-25-1 is terrific, and is now my main portable headphone. It does not look nearly as silly as most full size cans when wearing it around, it virtually indestructible, and sounds great.

Dec 15, 2005 at 8:55 PM Post #14 of 20
I've now acquired an FC7 in addition to the various cans I wrote about earlier in this thread. I've only had about an hour of listening time so these are preliminary impressions based on a brand-new unit with no burn-in, but I thought I'd go ahead and post in case this is of relevance to anyone's holiday shopping.

Overall impression: this is the headphone I'd recommend to someone who wants portability and isolation in a non-IEM headphone, without going up to the size or cost of the HD25.

I'll start with what I think is the key differentiator. The ATH-FC7 is the smallest non-IEM headphone that (IMO) provides a useful degree of isolation. On my ears the PX200 provides essentially zero isolation, and the K26P only a very little bit more. The ATH-FC7 provides genuine isolation -- a rung below what the HD25 and HD25-SP provide, but still very genuine and useful isolation.

Size-wise, this headphone has roughly identical earcup diameter to the HD25 and HD25-SP, but a much more slender profile. They just don't stick out, and the headband is inconspicuous as well. I would not be the least bit selfconscious about wearing the FC7 on a bus, on a campus, etc. (FWIW mine are the metallic grey, and I'm pleased with the color.)

I would rate them as more comfortable than the HD25 and HD25-SP. Less than the lightweights like K26P and PX200, but that's to be expected.

Sound, unamped from 4G iPod: good, but I wouldn't say it's a wow. The sound is not exactly "muddy" but it probably does qualify as "silty." Notes are less distinct and spacious than I'd like, and overall it doesn't really shine. (To be fair, this is pretty much how I feel about just about anything unamped these days, so take my impressions with that in mind.) It is a little on the bassy side, but not overly so.

Comparatively, I enjoyed them more than PX200, but less than I would PX100 or KSC35. They're roughly a tie with my first-batch K26P (depending on how much you value the K26P's extra bassiness), and far ahead of the later-batch K26P that I tried. They are left far, far behind by the HD25 (unless you find the latter too bassy), and are somewhat less clear than the HD25-SP.

Sound, amped really picks up. Clarity problems are gone, and the bass acquires real presence and authority without becoming overbearing. Well done! I spent about an hour doing housework with the iPod in shuffle mode and a Porta Corda II clipped to my belt, and on track after track of many different genres and artists I was surprised and impressed by the quality of these little headphones when given a little juice.

I'm not ready to give amped comparisons to the other headphones, but my first impression is that the FC7 more than holds its own.

For my last few minutes of listening I plugged the FC7 into my Gilmore Lite instead of the Porta Corda. The FC7's sound improved yet further, with still more clarity and still more bass authority.

Summary: this is a good headphone. It sounds decent to decent-plus unamped, sounds very good amped, isolates well, folds up small, doesn't make you a fashion victim, and leaves you with substantial change from a $100 bill. I don't know anything else that meets all those critera. Recommended.

Dec 15, 2005 at 9:06 PM Post #15 of 20
Thanks for the review, very informative!
Has anybody had a chance to try the Creative HQ-1700's
In theory they are the same as the Ath-FC7's, but has anybody actually head them?
Dom

EDIT: Nvm I did a forum search and found the answer
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back