The Mercury Program
Dec 21, 2006 at 1:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

asmox

Headphoneus Supremus
So, I've been a fan of these guys for a while, and I don't think I recall ever seeing a thread come up in this forum about them.

Any other fans out there?

The music is comprised of mostly repetitive themes and looping, droning ambience, but it's also so much more than that. Ethereal guitars drenched in reverb and delay bring out addictive and soothing melodies that work to put you into a peaceful, almost trance-like state. The drumming is extremely understated - the rhythms change, the dynamics shift, and the beats transform, but they do it ever so slowly and with such subtlety that it all sounds like one extended, hypnotic trip. At the same time, the drums are very intricate and technically competent... listen to this stuff through headphones and you start to really notice the magic behind the kit. The bass playing isn't extravagant, but it provides a solid foundation and has it's exceptional moments here and there. Lastly, TMP make extensive use of the vibraphone... which serves to give the music a very light, airy, and somewhat dream-like sound.

It's also perfect travel music. Driving across the country? Put this in and watch the road disappear. The repetitive nature of the music combined with the gradual dynamic and tempo shifts, along with the "drifting" atmosphere of it all is simply perfect.

Long flight? Pop in some TMP and observe how quickly you drift off into a peaceful slumber.

I really can't say enough good things about this band. I'm listening to A Data Learn the Language right now, and I just got the urge to start this thread.

One of the more signifcant bands around today, I think.

Dec 21, 2006 at 7:11 PM Post #2 of 5
Sounds interesting.
Complex, layered and minimal-right up my alley.
Anything you could compare it to?

Dec 21, 2006 at 7:36 PM Post #3 of 5
Yeah they are a really great band. My favorite album of theirs is the split with maserati Confines of Heat. They are similar to the aforementioned maserati as well as mathy-er bands like Paul Newman.

Dec 21, 2006 at 10:13 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anything you could compare it to?

Nothing that I can think of, sorry.

I haven't explored this style of music very heavily, but even from what I have heard, nothing sounds quite like this. I haven't heard Maserati, though... and since TMP did a split with them, I'm guess they have a similar sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back