The Matrix element S Music Streamer with USB DAC Outputs - Now On Apos Audio
Apr 18, 2023 at 10:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16
Hi all,

Here's something really cool from Matrix we'd like to share with the community. Presenting the Matrix element S Music Streamer, a versatile device that brings high-quality audio streaming and seamless connectivity to your existing audio system. With features like the MA player, MA Remote App, USB DAC interface, and dual-frequency femtosecond clock, the Matrix element S ensures an exceptional listening experience. Its compatibility with various DACs and support for multiple streaming technologies make it the perfect addition to your existing audio setup.

Here's the link to the blog for more information: https://apos.audio/blogs/news/matrix-element-s-announcement

Matrix element S Music Streamer with USB DAC Outputs.jpg

Apos Audio Free Shipping, Lowest Price Guarantee, Apos 2nd Year Warranty and 45-Day Return Policy on all carried products. Check out Apos Ensembles, Apos Specials, and Apos Certified products. Stay updated on Apos Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/aposaudio https://www.instagram.com/aposaudio/ https://apos.audio/ contact@apos.audio
Apr 19, 2023 at 12:19 PM Post #2 of 16
That looks remarkably like the Aurender N200...

Apr 19, 2023 at 9:15 PM Post #3 of 16
That looks remarkably like the Aurender N200...
Indeed. Unless I missed something there is no way to play local music natively for example external thumb drive or external / internal SSD.

Apr 29, 2023 at 2:15 PM Post #4 of 16
Indeed. Unless I missed something there is no way to play local music natively for example external thumb drive or external / internal SSD.
That would be a deal-killer for many. Would this quote from the specs mean it actually does support storage playback?
  • The USB port works with devices which conform to the USB mass storage standard and supports FAT, FAT32, exFAT and NTFS file formats, but is not guaranteed to be compatible with all storage devices.

Apr 29, 2023 at 3:13 PM Post #5 of 16
That would be a deal-killer for many. Would this quote from the specs mean it actually does support storage playback?
  • The USB port works with devices which conform to the USB mass storage standard and supports FAT, FAT32, exFAT and NTFS file formats, but is not guaranteed to be compatible with all storage devices.
That would appear to be the case but the specs are so vague that I can't tell.

Update: The user manual is available online and the unit does indeed support external hard drives.

https://www.matrix-digi.com/pdf/element_S_Manual_EN.pdf

Last edited:
May 4, 2023 at 11:31 AM Post #6 of 16
This unit has more features than I actually need, but is there any way to tell if it would provide a meaningful upgrade in sound from a Bluesound Node 2i for wi-fi streaming (digital out to a DAC)?

May 4, 2023 at 12:01 PM Post #7 of 16
This unit has more features than I actually need, but is there any way to tell if it would provide a meaningful upgrade in sound from a Bluesound Node 2i for wi-fi streaming (digital out to a DAC)?
Highly dependent On the DAC you use with it as the DAC and preamp / amp, to me, make the difference in sound.

May 4, 2023 at 12:05 PM Post #8 of 16
Highly dependent On the DAC you use with it as the DAC and preamp / amp, to me, make the difference in sound.
That's the crux of my question - the Matrix S and the Node would both be flowing into the same DAC. Any way to predict which will sound better?

May 4, 2023 at 12:08 PM Post #9 of 16
That's the crux of my question - the Matrix S and the Node would both be flowing into the same DAC. Any way to predict which will sound better?
Hard to say. You may want to wait for reviews. But Matrix makes great products so the quality of the components and power isolation are superior to the node in my opinion.

May 15, 2023 at 12:06 AM Post #10 of 16
Hard to say. You may want to wait for reviews. But Matrix makes great products so the quality of the components and power isolation are superior to the node in my opinion.
I have the Element S. I am using it with Denafrips Venus II thru I2S connection. The main reason I purchased it was for the I2S connection.

The I2S connection is superior to USB with Denafrips. It is very clear, articulate, with good width and depth of soundstage. USB sounds slightly veiled in comparison and a little less detail.

It works the same as the other Element products and similar in size as the Element I2.

It is not yet Roon certified so am using primarily with Tidal Connect.

May 15, 2023 at 4:46 AM Post #11 of 16
May 15, 2023 at 5:01 AM Post #12 of 16
The I2S connection is superior to USB with Denafrips. It is very clear, articulate, with good width and depth of soundstage. USB sounds slightly veiled in comparison and a little less detail.
Are you comparing the I2s connection to the USB connection from the same device (Element S)?

My DAC (Audio GD R8HE Mk2) is of similar level and also provides the best sound via I2s. Currently I employ a USB connection from an LPS powered Mac Mini, then the signal goes through a DI20HE DDC and then via I2s to the DAC. I already have Roon installed on the Mac Mini and my main question is whether the Element S option will offer any improvement in SQ.

I auditioned a matrix device not so long ago, but it was a different story as it was an AIO element x with its own DS chips to convert the sound: In general I liked the sound a lot.. it had some sort of pleasant plasticity to it and provided organic juicy mids.. Is there any way you could compare the sound that you are getting now to what you had in your system without the element S?

Thanks

Last edited:
May 15, 2023 at 8:55 AM Post #13 of 16
The Element S is undergoing Roon certification but that process is not complete yet so Roon does not allow you to add it as an endpoint. You can use it with Roon thru Airplay etc.

I have compared to a Pi 2 Design Mercury 2 with its I2S connection and they sound very similar. Very difficult to say there is any difference.

I have also tried the Lumin U1 it was replacing thru a Denafrips Iris DDC to the Denafrips Venus II DAC and that sounds much better than the Element S direct into the Venus II with I2S with no DDC. With the DDC is more organic and 3D sounding.

So now I have a Denafrips GAIA on order and am thinking the Lumin U1 will feed that by USB in my main system and then I2S into the Venus II from the GAIA. The GAIA has better OXCO clock chips. I ultimately plan to use the Element S in a headphone system with a Pontus II and Woo Audio WA22.

As for just the Element S direct into a DAC by I2S versus USB I can tell you the Venus II USB in is not as good as the I2S with a few different streamers tried. But not sure hoe the Element S performs USB versus I2S on other DACs.

Jun 12, 2023 at 8:31 AM Post #14 of 16
I have the Element S. I am using it with Denafrips Venus II thru I2S connection. The main reason I purchased it was for the I2S connection.

It works the same as the other Element products and similar in size as the Element I2.

It is not yet Roon certified so am using primarily with Tidal Connect.
Hello,
I just purchased the Element s for the same reason you did. i also have a Venus 2 and want to use the I2s output of the Element. Was it an easy process getting the Element to connect with the Venus? Can you please let me know what you did to use the correct pin out desig.

Regards
Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back