The lowly phonograph--is there a decent all-in-one "record player"?
Sep 29, 2012 at 8:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

k2doggo

New Head-Fier
I know the technical reasons an old-school "phonograph"--i.e. a single box that contains turntable, amplification, and speakers--can't ever be as good as a setup that keeps the speakers' vibrations from deranging the performance of the turntable and the amp.

Yet here it is--my wife would like a vinyl source that would live in a single small box. And I'm shopping for such a device, either vintage or modern.

Has anybody ever quixotically manufactured an "all-in-one" wherein the turntable was at the level of, say, an inexpensive Pro-Ject or Music Hall, and the electronics and the  (obviously small) speakers were on the same level?

I'm tempted to drill holes in an antique wooden box, stick a Dynaco ST-35 in there, nail some Paradigm Atoms to the sides, and drop a red Rega on top. A boom-box. But is there a version I could just buy?

(I understand how she feels--I used to love to listen to my 78s on an RCA New Orthophonic, which was a blonde oak toy box with fabric front, and sounded warm beyond warm, since all that wood was resonating like crazy...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back