The London Underground
May 4, 2010 at 6:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Mato

100+ Head-Fier
What headphones/earphones do you use here? How well do they isolate?

It's pretty damn noisy.

May 4, 2010 at 7:23 PM Post #4 of 16
I use the tube to and from work every day - Northern and Central lines - and my E-Q7s with medium complys isolate really well. And sound brilliant too. Am a happy commuter.

May 4, 2010 at 8:48 PM Post #6 of 16
I don't think even the best closed back or noise cancelling full-sized headphones would work as well as many IEMs.

I've found (a few visits, but also taking into account other train stations etc.) that most IEMs are good enough, as long as you've got a good seal - the deeper the better.

When I had Westone UM1 and UM2, Shure black olives worked best (also my favourite tip), so you don't have to use tri-flange tips. After around 30% volume, I could hear next to no background noise.

I dread having to use the tube everyday (probably the year after next).

May 4, 2010 at 8:50 PM Post #7 of 16
I ride the DC Metro every day, which is a little less noisy than the tube, but not by much. I use a Klipsch X5 or Westone UM1. The X5 isolate very well but I have pretty bad pollen allergies so this time of year they're too uncomfortable. The UM1 don't isolate as well but are extremely comfortable so I can use them whenever my ears are tender from allergies.

I generally listen at an average level of 65-75dB. The X5 isolates 25-30dB with Comply tips. I can listen to all but the quietest music with them. Some noise leaks in, but I'm not doing critical listening on the subway.

The UM1 isolates 15-20dB with Shure olives. They're better than nothing but quiet passages tend to be drowned out by noise leaking in.

I've not found any full sized headphone that isolates even as well as the UM1 and the few that come close tend to be uncomfortable. At a recent meet, I did hear a closed headphone that isolates very well, Smeggy's Thurderpants. Unfortunately, one off custom headphones that require serious amperage. They isolate as well as my ear protection ear muffs.

May 4, 2010 at 9:10 PM Post #9 of 16
I have no metro experience, but on the plane I have it low enough so that I can hear the initial beep at least and take them off.

May 4, 2010 at 10:36 PM Post #10 of 16
The PA system in DC is so bad, you can't understand what they're saying half the time. With my UM1, I can hear that they're making an announcement. Sometimes with the X5 as well, but usually not if I'm reading.

May 5, 2010 at 12:07 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by aameerp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Who's missed an announcement due to IEMs/headphones?

almost all high populated city have faulty transit system. Like here in Toronto we have alot of delay during rush hour or board a different bus so I just walk when everyone else walks........ but never, ever fall asleep with your iem on
devil_face.gif

May 5, 2010 at 9:19 AM Post #12 of 16
I used to use Ety ER4Ps on the tube and found them excellent for blocking out the great unwashed.

I have Westone 3s now and while I've not given them an outing on the tube, I find that they isolate just as well.

I used the Etymotic triple flange tips and now use either modded triple flanges or Comply P-Series tips.

May 5, 2010 at 11:15 AM Post #14 of 16
agree with the comply P-series (longer tip). I use um3x with the comply P-series on the tube, and on flights, and they isolate extremely well, and are also quite comfortable.
They work with any westone iem, or other iems which fit T100 comply size

May 5, 2010 at 11:37 AM Post #15 of 16
I prefer the ATH-M50 on the tube to my IEMs because I can still discern a little ambient noise, I can't hear what an announcement is saying, but I can hear when one starts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back