The local HiFi and some HE90s
Aug 18, 2010 at 5:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

cjpearson

Head-Fier

[size=medium]
...I went to the local yesterday to pick up some extra bits and pieces for my system. I got some nice cable shielding, and some tidbits for soldering my own RCA leads etc. While I was there, I met up with a friend of mine who I haven't seen in ages. He was getting his headphones serviced and had just picked them up. He was plonked down in the listening room, in front of a Quad set-up, with a rather large and stately looking valve amp on the top of the stack. He asked me to try them...Senn. Orpheus HE90. Aren't these just incredible? I didn't really know much about them until I went home and did some more research. Apparently he owns one of the only pairs in the country, if not Australasia. 

These are just amazing. I don't know if the post-listening/finding out how much they're worth and sitting in amazement in front of my computer euphoria was clouding my judgement of the sound, but I sure was impressed. I will try to get some photos up of the store as-well it's rather cool.

-Cam
[/size]

Aug 19, 2010 at 4:59 AM Post #3 of 5
Sweet! The HE90 sure is something special . . .

Aug 19, 2010 at 7:10 AM Post #5 of 5
Some electro static 988s. I know a little about these from my Piano playing days (my teacher was a Quad fanatic.) I'm not sure about the amp though, I wasn't allowed near it (they were fiddling with something which looked a lot like a massive power pack of some description.) the amp was a valve - so it's probably the ii-80. the only time i've seen 988s in NZ was in Tauranga, and they were set up for the drummer for ACDC (Phil Rudd) to demo - he lives there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back