The "Lo-Fi" Thread
Apr 1, 2009 at 12:03 AM Post #16 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by plonter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
in the black metal scene i would pick "arcturus".

Uh...nope.

Try:

Striborg

Zarach'Baal'Tharagh

Profanatica
beerchug.gif

Apr 1, 2009 at 7:08 PM Post #17 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Built to spill and Elliott smith definitely don't count. They are for the most part great quality big studio performances.

Oh, I dunno. Smith is often called the "master" or "king" of low-fi.

Apr 4, 2009 at 4:12 PM Post #19 of 25
Sebadoh - the best example of low-fi rock that I can think of
Lou Barlow - was in both Dinosaur Jr and Sebadoh, but has lots of good solo stuff

Apr 6, 2009 at 3:23 AM Post #20 of 25
Early Guided by Voices is the epitome of low-fi. Also, the Embarrassment. And who could forget Great Plains. Or Lftr Pllr (early incarnation of Hold Steady). And, Dead Moon.

Apr 7, 2009 at 3:28 AM Post #23 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by trains are bad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe I just don't understand this lo-fi thing, but Pavement's albums are very good sounding. Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain sounds very nice on vinyl.

I think the problem with Pavement in this kind of discussion is the division between their early and later work. Slanted & Enchanted is fairly lo-fi. Their early 7 and 10 inches are extremely so. cf "Recorder Grot," "Spizzle Trunk," and, my personal favorite, "Krell Vid-User." I wouldn't personally consider anything after S&E to be lo-fi, but it's all a matter of definition after all.

Apr 7, 2009 at 3:54 AM Post #25 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Built to spill and Elliott smith definitely don't count. They are for the most part great quality big studio performances.

Roman Candle and S/T?

Coincidentally, I just had Perfect From Now On going on the record player and accidentally put it on at 45 rpm initially. His voice is pretty darn funny that fast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back