The Lives of Others - Great Movie - out on DVD today.
Aug 21, 2007 at 11:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

virometal

Headphoneus Supremus
There was already a related thread here.

However, I was hoping some others might have something to say about the film.

If you haven't seen it, the film is set in East Germany in the mid 80's and follows an East German Secret Policeman (Stasi) who volunteers to spy on a playwright. Shot in beautiful gray tones and methodically paced, the film is a fascinating character study of the moral conflict we all face in our duty to state and self.

I highly recommend it.

Anyone else have an opinion about this movie?

Aug 21, 2007 at 11:42 PM Post #2 of 4
I liked it, though less than most. I didn't necessarily buy the transformation myself, which of course everything pivots. Still it's relatively unexplored territory and that was interesting to watch (especially after being in Prague and Budapest - including the House of Terror Museum - a couple months earlier) and it certainly spurred lots of conversations outside the theater I saw it at. Nearly everyone I knows loves it.

Sad that Ulrich Muehe died a few weeks ago though.

Aug 22, 2007 at 7:19 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sad that Ulrich Muehe died a few weeks ago though.

That is sad; didn't know that.

Well, besides Mr. X up there, I located another person who didn't love it. Last night, I watch it with a friend. She found the movie too manipulative, and said *spoiler follows* the ending was dragged out. The final scene should of been where Dreymen realized his apartment had been tapped, according to her.

*more spoilers*

I enjoyed the last section where Dreymen becomes the investigator with Wiesler the subject. To me, it was a nice late flip of the dynamic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back