The Little Dot MkIII (3) watts and performance with HD650, K702, HE-500 etc.
Apr 8, 2013 at 3:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

tals

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys!
*Please read latest post from me, down below*
So I am currently running an HRT Music Streamer II --> Little Dot Mk3 --> HD598, but I am considering upgrading my headphones to somewhat in the area of the *title*, or even the LCD-2 or the HiFiMAN HE-6 region.
Will the MK3 be able to drive the higher-end headphones like the LCD-2 and HE-6?
Untill what range of headphones can the MK3 still keep up?
Thanks!

Apr 9, 2013 at 9:06 AM Post #2 of 7
I have the MKIII and I can drive the K702 and the K240 Sextett. The Sextett is 600 ohms and they like lots of power. The LD drives with power to spare.

The 702s are 65 ohms and respond well also.

Apr 10, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #3 of 7
Quote:
I have the MKIII and I can drive the K702 and the K240 Sextett. The Sextett is 600 ohms and they like lots of power. The LD drives with power to spare.

The 702s are 65 ohms and respond well also.

Thank you!
So I understand, that the Mk3 won't have any problem powering high-end headphones with much effort?

Apr 10, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #4 of 7
I for one am not a huge fan of the K701/2 paired with affordable high-ish production volume OTL amps.  They always sound compressed and one dimensional to my ears.  Take a really well layered recording like, Dire straits  / Brothers in Arms... and it sounds almost like a single "plane" of music.  The ambient depth and space is squished together, smashed and compressed flat.  So its not really an issue of volume or overall amplitude of sound, its more about dynamics and the quality-depth of sound.  IMHO of course.

god I hope that makes sense....

I still want to try a LD MK3 though.  My amps are an earmax with Telefunken tubes and a DV337 with Tung-Sols, and I couple both with output transformers.  I almost cringe when I listen to my amps, knowing much the tubes cost, and how scare/rare they are getting.  So a more affordable alternative would be nice, and I have been eye-ing the MK3, transformer coupled of course.

Apr 15, 2013 at 7:02 PM Post #5 of 7
I am planning on getting the LCD-2.
They reccomend an amp with at least 1 watt of power.
Is this amp enough? I see it only outputs 350mW, which is a third of what they reccomend; but they do have a gain of X3, X5 and X10. So does that mean I can use the X10 and get 3.5 watts out of the little dot mk III?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back