The LIST: Prog-Rock and Prog-Metal Bands-
Jan 2, 2006 at 1:40 AM Post #16 of 70
Also useful: at www.progarchives.com you can switch the index at the top to show the different prog genres. The subsequent pages give a detailed definition of the specific genre and some definitive albums to check out. And progarchives has the added bonus of streaming MP3's so you can sample some of the album/artist and see if you like it (btw I don't work for progarchives)
icon10.gif

Jan 2, 2006 at 1:45 AM Post #17 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Floodedstatue
kwitel - would it not have been an idea to list definitive album(s) with each band? Barring a few such as Opeth, Porcupine Tree and Tool, there are only certain albums worth getting by a particular band? Or are you just getting an idea for the artists to delve into before narrowing your search?

Unless ofcourse you have an endless stream of funds to buy every record by every band mentioned !!
icon10.gif

good point-I edited the post

Jan 2, 2006 at 1:55 AM Post #19 of 70
Quote:

Likewise. I'm sure this'll spark some arguments about what the definitive albums are by each artist, but what can you do !?
rolleyes.gif

you can sit back, listen and learn...i look forward to getting some good info out of this post. Alot of knowledgeable people round these parts.

Jan 2, 2006 at 2:03 AM Post #20 of 70
Quote:

Also useful: at www.progarchives.com you can switch the index at the top to show the different prog genres. The subsequent pages give a detailed definition of the specific genre and some definitive albums to check out. And progarchives has the added bonus of streaming MP3's so you can sample some of the album/artist and see if you like it (btw I don't work for progarchives)
icon10.gif

What?
Great site, but how come I cant find King Crimson?

Jan 2, 2006 at 2:06 AM Post #22 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by britishbane
1)Jethro Tull????

okayyy, thats all you got?
everyone keeps answering here like were looking for one definitive list!
I want ur favorites people!

Jan 2, 2006 at 2:16 AM Post #23 of 70
some prog rock bands i like:

Morte Macabre
Anglagard
Paatos
Landberk
Anekdoten
Goblin
Wobbler
White Willow
Popol Vuh
Gnidrolog
Comus
Gentle Giant
Genesis (70's)
King Crimson
Porcupine Tree
Riverside
Van der Graaf Generator
Caravan
Arzachel
Camel
Hallelujah
Steve Hackett
T2
Yes
Pink Floyd
Jethro Tull

Jan 2, 2006 at 2:20 AM Post #24 of 70
mm.. I'll put recommended albums in parentheses, and my favorites of the favorites in bold.

1) Classic PR:
Genesis (Selling England by the Pound)
King Crimson (Discipline)
Ozric Tentacles (Erpland)
IQ (Dark Matter)
Marillion (Misplaced Childhood)
Frank Zappa (uhhh.. take your pick)
Pink Floyd (Wish You Were Here)

..i don't listen to much old stuff, honestly.

2) Modern PR:
Riverside (Out of Myself)
Porcupine Tree (In Absentia)
Gordian Knot (Gordian Knot)
Freak Kitchen (Move)
Bubblemath (Such Fine Particles of the Universe)
Estradasphere (Buck Fever)
The Flower Kings (Space Revolver)
The Tangent (The Music That Died Alone)
Bumblefoot (Normal)
Upsilon Acrux (LST Pirates of Upsilon)

3) Classic PM:

i'm not really sure what's supposed to go here? classic progressive metal is sort of an ambiguous term. do you mean bands that are now defunct? off the top of my head..

Cynic (Focus)
Watchtower (Control and Resistance)
Lethargy (It's Hard To Write With A Little Hand)
Atheist (Unquestionable Presence)
Clockwork (Surface Tension)
Maudlin of the Well (Bath)

4) Modern PM:
Pain of Salvation (Entropia)
Aghora (Aghora)
Behold... the Arctopus (Nano-Nucleonic Cyborg Summoning)
Coprofago (Unorthodox Creative Criteria)
Planet X (Live from Oz)
Ayreon (Into the Electric Castle)
Frantic Bleep (The Sense Apparatus)
Opeth (Blackwater Park)
Meshuggah (Chaosphere)
Linear Sphere (Reality Dysfunction)

I've lost my touch for "prog" specifically, because much of today's "prog" isn't very progressive at all. So, you may find that some of the above artists aren't in the style of stale and predictable 'prog', but instead in the world of music that is actually progressive in that it pushes the boundaries of the artists's chosen genre and/or of music. Official "genres" jump around a bit, but the general theme remains forward-thinking metal with an abundance of avantgardness, atmosphere, and futurity (i dunno if that's the right word to use? lol).. just like you wanted.

There are many missing artists, but choices were limited
smily_headphones1.gif

edit: forgot to include one of the greatest bands ever :O

Jan 2, 2006 at 4:49 AM Post #25 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel
okayyy, thats all you got?
everyone keeps answering here like were looking for one definitive list!
I want ur favorites people!

I've got more. Most of them were already listed: KingCrimson, Yes, Pink Floyd, Genesis, etc. (Is ELP prog?)

Jan 2, 2006 at 6:08 AM Post #26 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by asmox
1) Classic PR:
Ozric Tentacles (Erpland)

You consider Ozric Tentacles to be old prog? I would definitely put them in the modern category. Anyway, I suppose I'm obligated to give a random list for myself: (album recommendations are in parentheses. I've heard multiple albums by almost all of these bands)

Classic Prog: (this list is pretty standard)
King Crimson(Larks' Tongues in Aspic, duh)
Yes(Close To The Edge)
Genesis(Selling England By The Pound)
Gentle Giant(Acquiring The Taste)
Jethro Tull(Minstrel In The Gallery)
ELP(Tarkus)
Frank Zappa(Joe's Garage)
Pink Floyd(Meddle)
Rush(Hemispheres)
Mike Oldfield(Tubular Bells... I guess this can almost be considered prog in some sense)

Modern Prog:
Uz Jsme Doma(Nemilovany Svet or anything else for that matter)
Tiamat(Wildhoney)
Porcupine Tree(Signify)
Ayreon(Into The Electric Castle)
Ozric Tentacles(Erpland)
Radiohead(Kid A)
Gordian Knot(Emergent)

Prog Metal:
Opeth(Morningrise)
Cynic(Focus)
Death(Human)
Atheist(Unquestionable Presence)
Symphony X(The Divine Wings of Tragedy)

Jan 2, 2006 at 6:59 AM Post #28 of 70
I wouldn't say that Chaosphere is necessarily Meshuggah's proggiest album. It's of the variety that would scare away the ordinary Porcupine Tree hippie types.

If I was going to suggest anything, it'd be their I EP. It's heavy too, don't get me wrong, but at least slows down a bit here and there to let people catch their breath.
biggrin.gif

Jan 2, 2006 at 7:35 AM Post #29 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by NaOH
I wouldn't say that Chaosphere is necessarily Meshuggah's proggiest album. It's of the variety that would scare away the ordinary Porcupine Tree hippie types.

If I was going to suggest anything, it'd be their I EP. It's heavy too, don't get me wrong, but at least slows down a bit here and there to let people catch their breath.
biggrin.gif

you know, although I have tremendous respect for Mashuggah and their android like accuracy, I just cant take too much of it.
Granted I only have Chaosphere, but from what ive heard-its just too brutal. I can listen to Pantera, Ministry and other heavy faves all day but I dont think I really know whats going on when im listening to Mashuggah.
Probably have to give it some more time.

Jan 2, 2006 at 8:20 AM Post #30 of 70
My favs.... you can categorize them as you see fit. Most of them pretty main stream.

Dreamtheater
LTE
Kings-X
Queensryche
Frank Zappa
Steve Morse
Marillion
Rush
Jethro Tull
BOC
Genesis
Yes
Steve Vai

Prog-metal
Maiden
Metallica
Yngwie

Do any of you get to track 8-9 on a Dreamtheater CD and have NO IDEA what CD youre listening to?.... I'm listening to Paradigm Shift (Live) as I type (millet => RS1) and have no idea which DT CD is in the player? LOL

DT rules!! I can listen to them all day all week on my Grados.

Garrett

Users who are viewing this thread

Back