The line-out distorts on ihp-120
Apr 8, 2006 at 11:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

sango

100+ Head-Fier
I've heard that the lineout kicks in when the volume is cranked all the way up to 40, but the sound distorts and i think it shouldn't since it's a lineout?
I've only set the bass boost to 6 out of 24 so there shouldn't be any probbs with that?
I use the Stax 001 and PA2V2 amps from it. What can i do to get rid of the distortion??
/A

Apr 8, 2006 at 4:40 PM Post #2 of 6
I'm skeptical of the explanation that indicates the line out to be a true line out. The level from the line out jack is adjustable with the player's volume control (as you likely already know.) I'd be surprised if there's any way to have the volume be adjustable on a true line out.

If I were you, I'd have set the volume to about 2/3 of max and see if that helps. Perhaps it would be helpful to describe more specifically what you're hearing. Also, I'm not familiar with the Stax 001, but as I take a quick look here it appears as though it's actually supposed to be an amp and earspeakers. So you're amping that amp with a PA2V2 or ?

Apr 8, 2006 at 5:12 PM Post #3 of 6
Apr 11, 2006 at 11:53 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lsportline43
Xin confirmed that the H120 does have a true line out. You can check this out on his forum.

http://www.fixup.net/talk/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=791

Also you must have the equalizer off for the line out to work.

I stand corrected. It indeed is a true line out it seems. However, Dr. Xin makes no mention that the volume must be at max for it to "kick in." Instead, he explains that the volume control is done digitally so both lineout and headphone out are controlled at the same time by it.

I'm thinkin of getting one of these. Lsportline43, is there no output from the line out when the EQ is on? I wouldn't mind as long as the sound is as it should be unaltered. From what I've read about the thing I imagine it is. I'm a believer in keeping the sound un-EQ'd myself, and I think if people so concerned with high quality sound like it it shouldn't be a problem
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 11, 2006 at 4:29 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by sango
I've only set the bass boost to 6 out of 24 so there shouldn't be any probbs with that?
I use the Stax 001 and PA2V2 amps from it. What can i do to get rid of the distortion??
/A

The bass boost causes distortion. Try the output on Normal (none) EQ and see what you think. Give it a couple of days, then go back to the old setting for comparison.

Apr 11, 2006 at 5:25 PM Post #6 of 6
The iriver firmware actually scales back the bass boost as you raise the volume, but it does not scale it back to zero. Thus, if you have the player at full volume, with files that utilize the player's full dynamic range, you will push it into clipping by applying several decibels of bass boost.

There are a couple of things that you can do to prevent this:

1. Do not use the bass boost.

2. Back the volume down a few notches to compensate for the added gain imposed by the bass boost.

3. Use mp3gain to reduce the gain of your files so that the DAC has some headroom to work with when bass boost is applied.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back