The Lavry DA11: For your ears only
Oct 26, 2009 at 7:20 PM Post #121 of 191
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anders /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the answer about voltage but I also wonder about output impedance. Is it the same output impedance on the headphone output and the XLR outputs when configured as single-ended? And I assume that the impedance is different when using the rear outputs as balanced compared to SE.

The relevance of the output impedance is that it affects the frequency response of the headphone (if the headphone impedance is frequency dependent and that is common).

The output impedance of the real panel XLR's is 75 Ohm resistive (not inductive or capacitive), for each pin (pin 2 and pin 3).

You are correct to state that the impedance of the source, driving a signal into a non resistive load (headphone), does alter the flatness response. If a headphone were purely resistive load, then a resistive source will only cause attenuation, and the impact would be the same across the audible frequency range. But headphones are not a pure resistive load.

As a "rule of thumb", a lower load impedance and a higher headphone impedance tend to minimize the flatness response issue. Also, as a rule, a resistive source is better then inductive or capacitive.

The XLR outputs heave a limited current drive. They offer a lot of voltage. They are not meant to drive low impedance loads (they can drive 300 Ohms OK, but not much lower). The 75 Ohms is a pretty standard thing to do - the purpose is to enable driving long lines that end up looking like capacitive loads at audio frequencies. The series resistance "buffers" that capacitive load to prevent oscillations.

For a headphone output, the issue is not about oscillation prevention. The cables are not very long to start with, and different headphone introduce a very wide range of load impedances. Indeed, with a very low headphone impedance, a 75 ohms in series is not the way to go. Close to zero Ohms provides a near flat response...

Regards
Dan Lavry

Nov 19, 2009 at 6:05 PM Post #123 of 191
I've just recently heard about the DA11. It seems to fit in a very small niche of product I've been looking for: a dac with pre-amp with remote control and balanced outputs that I could use to drive an amp directly, preferably with balance control. I am not interested in the Benchmark HDR and initially would tend to classify the DA11 in the same league, but for different target group. I will refrain from doing that and try to get a hold of one. Can anybody tell me if I can listen to one here in Brazil?
I've been looking at the PS Audio PerfectWave DAC, the Audio Aero Prima DAC (discontinued; actually the DAC of the Capitole); the Cyrus XP DAC and a few others. Has anyone who knows the Lavry DA11 had experience with one of these that I just mentioned?
I would be very curious about knowing how it would compare to my North Star 192MkII DAC sonically. Has anybody here heard both?
Thanks a lot in advance
best regards
André

Dec 28, 2009 at 2:47 AM Post #125 of 191
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sieg9198 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Lavry,

I would like to know about the DA11's USB input method, is it asynchronous or adaptive??

I believe it is adaptive as it's my understanding the DA11 uses the CEntrace software, which is adaptive:
CEntrance -> DACport
"CEntrance USB technology powers products from Benchmark, Lavry, PS Audio, Belcanto, Empirical and many others ..."

Dec 31, 2009 at 11:42 AM Post #126 of 191
As long as you clean up the jitter correctly, adaptive and asynchronous perform the same way. Jitter needs to be cleaned up in either case.

Someone on the Internet has loaded up the term "adaptive" to mean "bad". That same person says that his USB implementation does not have jitter. Really?

CEntrance will be publishing a paper soon to debunk the myth about adaptive over asynchronous. Unfortunately, jitter is the fact of life. Like gravity. It needs to be managed one way or another. If you do it right, your DAC sounds right. The rest is just Marketing tactics to pursuade people to buy your product over competition...

Jan 20, 2010 at 1:24 PM Post #129 of 191
Will soon be demoing this admitedly fine unit at home with my HD600 - soon to be replaced by a pair of HD800. I have to say I was blown away by what I heard when the DA11 was used a preamp+DAC driving a pari of KEF reference monitors with Macintosh amps, so I'm really looking forward to test it further with my headphones and my Dynaudio MC15s.

Feb 6, 2010 at 4:03 AM Post #130 of 191
I'm currently trying to set up the best low level listening headphone rig that I can for work. Since I tend to get ear ringing easily after extended listening, high detail at low levels is very important to me. I currently have a Headroom Ultra Balanced amp driving a pair of Dennon AH-D5000s (7000s coming shortly) with the DA11 doing the D to A from either my work PC (USB) or my MacBook Pro (TosLink).

I was getting a bit disheartened as I turned down the amp and hearing the bass slip away. I was about to send it all back UNTIL I tried playing with the DA11's volume control. The detail remained, bass and all! Keeping the amp volume at a decent level and changing the DAC volume (with any ol' universal remote
biggrin.gif
) totally did the trick and I'm a rather happy camper.
beyersmile.png
Thanks for a great product Dave!

Feb 14, 2010 at 7:29 PM Post #131 of 191
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What are the dimensions of the DA11? I've done some searching and can't find this information.

The front of my DA10 is about 20cm x 4.5cm.

Edit: I found this in the DA10 manual.

Weight and Dimensions:
8” wide x 1.75” high x 10.75” deep (with space for front panel switches and rear panel
connectors), < 5lbs. (shipping weight 6 lbs)

Feb 22, 2010 at 2:31 AM Post #135 of 191
Quote:

Originally Posted by spahn_ranch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any recommendations on burn-in hours for the DA10/11 amp?

For your information, a DAC ins't an amp, and NO! a quality product from Lavry Engeneering works out of the box by it's specified precision! I really don't know why people always come out with such insulting questions. What did you expect, that it is a piece of Chinese junk!?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back