The Lavry DA10 Amp
Apr 13, 2008 at 3:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

compuryan

1000+ Head-Fier
My current setup is
Lite DAC-AH CCA Mod > Eddie Current EC/SS > HD650

I am really thinking about selling my amp and DAC and buying a Lavry DA10. Would the amplifier on the Lavry (or the balanced output) be good enough to tide me over until I can afford a balanced amplifier?

Apr 14, 2008 at 8:33 PM Post #2 of 4
I use the lavry da10 with the K701s, and I have to say I'm really very unimpressed. My K701 are 'new' but have about 250-300 hours on them. Also, I recognize that the K701 are supposedly hard to drive, so I guess it depends on which phones you're planning on using. Finally, I'm comparing to my reference rig (von schweikert speakers w/ a bel canto 200.1 amp and blue circle tubed preamp), and the lavry da10 driving the k701s is fine in the way an ipod is fine to play music, but in terms of awesome, breath-taking, soul stirring music.... well, it's pitiful at best. Of course, it may depend on which phones you're using, but thus was my experience. I'll add too, that in my opinion V-Moda Vibes out of a creative zen pap w/ compressed (192kb) audio sounds much better, so I'd venture to say its the phones/amp combo going on here.

Apr 14, 2008 at 9:48 PM Post #3 of 4
Just do a search on the HD650 and Lavry DA10 and see what comes up.

Some people think the HD650 is a little hard for the Lavry XLR outs to handle but people have used it for an interim solution like you are suggesting.

The Lavry Headamp is designed for low impedance headphones and the XLR output is better suited for the higher impedance headphones like the HD650. So you could be listening to them balanced at a lower end than what you would eventually be doing. Listening balanced you would not be using the Lavry Headamp as noted in the previous posts I am thinking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back