The latest TOOL CD seems to be disappointing....
Jul 14, 2006 at 11:15 PM Post #16 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by alex_cs
undertow, aenima, lateralus, 10,000 days. are studio albums. where are the other three? opiate is an EP, salival is live, and ???

Opiate, Undertow, Aenima, Lateralus and 10,000 Days I count as studio albums. The other two, well....
wink.gif
cool.gif

Jul 14, 2006 at 11:39 PM Post #18 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scotty757
You might want to spend more than a quarter hour with an album that took half a decade to make before formulating an opinion.

LOL.
Well said Scotty.

Jul 15, 2006 at 12:45 AM Post #19 of 33
This is definitely not comparable to A Perfect Circle,IMO.I love the way Tool keeps evolving into something I might not have appreciated until I heard it.Great album,and Rosetta Stoned,Intension are becoming my favorite songs lately.Gary.

Jul 15, 2006 at 3:13 AM Post #20 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFF
Opiate, Undertow, Aenima, Lateralus and 10,000 Days I count as studio albums. The other two, well....
wink.gif
cool.gif

opiate is an EP

what else are you referring to? being coy about Tool is pretty geeky.

Jul 15, 2006 at 3:22 AM Post #21 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by alex_cs
opiate is an EP

what else are you referring to? being coy about Tool is pretty geeky.

Fine - Opiate is an EP and since I am a geek - I am not saying another word on the other albums.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 15, 2006 at 4:35 AM Post #22 of 33
I guess just a matter of taste. There are several tracks that I really like from 10000 days... but Undertow will always be quintessential Tool in my opinion.

Jul 15, 2006 at 5:14 PM Post #25 of 33
10,000 days sounds to me like classic tool, maybe a bit too much. i've listened to it maybe 6 times now, and i have to give credit to the band, they stick to their guns. at their best they sound like a really pissed-off rush, right down to the synth patches they use. but it's tool, so what's not to like, really? i especially like the song with the guy ranting about the x-files.

Jul 15, 2006 at 7:37 PM Post #26 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Naga
jambi is awesome imo

but i tend to agree that the recording is wayy to " Hot " and compressed - and it distorts often in vicarious
frown.gif

I think only Vicarious and Jambi are the only ones to really suffer from compression. The rest of the album is great, imo, especially considering the rest of the bands that are as big or bigger that release stuff that is much worse.

Jul 16, 2006 at 1:13 AM Post #28 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by golgi
I guess just a matter of taste. There are several tracks that I really like from 10000 days... but Undertow will always be quintessential Tool in my opinion.

finally! a like minded TOOL fan.
my sentiments exactly.
Undertow is the quintessential modern-progressive-metal album, period.

Jul 16, 2006 at 1:47 AM Post #29 of 33
It's interesting to hear people say that songs like Vicarious and The Pot are their favourites, because it's those songs, and the songs that are more 'conventional' Tool that I feel are the weaker points on the record.

Wings for Marie pt. 1 and 2, I really wish they'd build the album off those two tracks, and kept the tone of the album more similar to what they were doing there. Those tracks really embody the album for me, and more than that, they embody the true progression between lateralus and 10000 days, and I feel that everything else that sort of drifts from that guiding concept is less focused and less integrated with the whole of the album.

Songs like The Pot and Vicarious, ironically. I kind of think that they felt they needed to 'plop' a couple more conventional tool songs on the record, and came up with those more as singles. They sound like singles in comparison the rest of the record, which isn't really a negative necessarily, but again, to me they seem less focused lyrically. I'm not complaining that they put some more conventional tool songs on the album, I just haven't been as enamoured with their lyrics.

In terms of the album as a whole, personally, I don't feel it's as good as Aenima or Lateralus. I think part of it for me is that there is a less philosophically driven lyrical focus, and as a result, it feels less 'immediate' than some other tool, that is geared towards pushing you out of your comfort zones and is more 1st person. It feels less coherent and cohesive to me, atleast over the first half of the album, than Aenima or Lateralus.

Jul 16, 2006 at 4:26 AM Post #30 of 33
I've been fortunate enough to see these guys live a couple times now and regardless of which album is out at the time, they always put together a great show. So I'm really hoping they will put out a really great Live type of recording in the future. I have a fairly rare live recording of theirs from a show in holland but the audio quality is not the greatest.

I recently got a brand new Undertow on vinyl and I'm just itching to tear it open but I have no turntable to listen to it on yet
rolleyes.gif
Soon....very soon....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back