The last song that's given you that spine-tingling feeling.
Sep 11, 2005 at 9:10 AM Post #136 of 149
The Dirty Fours - Breathless

"'Breathless' is nothing short of brilliant, with it’s gnarly bassline and peak time synths riding on top fantastic percussion. The kick and snare build with layers of tribal toms, snappy high hats and a squishy bubble sound set in a deep minimal groove. A shrilling sound washes over and drops the tune into a rich bassline, still riding the beat. The bass changes up and starts in with a new funky groove, while chords drop in creating a catchy hook that moves the song along. A surreal break explodes a moment later, as swirling synths play up the depth and a slight voice says "You're Breathless" and then leads back into a new break beat. Once the kick comes back in, a harder groove builds as the tune peaks in a subdued way, with delaying synths, fact acid sweeps, and a solid filthy groove."

Sep 11, 2005 at 7:44 PM Post #138 of 149
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davey
So, guess I need to add that one to the list, eh? Pretty solid all the way through? I hadn't heard of it until your mention in the other thread. Guess I don't follow the Pitchfork crowd much anymore and haven't been keeping up. Are they very well known outside of PFM?

Man, I really like this new Wilderness album. I do like every song. [though the first two songs are stand outs...] I have to say that I would really like to know your opinion. The Pitchfork review is right on in terms of the way that Wilderness sounds. The atonal, intermittently spoken/sung/wailed vocals are pretty wierd. My wife agreed with me that Wildeness sounds like The Edge joined The Cure and somebody forgot to tell Robert Smith so the drunken love child of David Byrne and Patti Smith stood in! [but it's amazing how quickly the vocals grew on me...] I don't know how well known they are. I know that they are from Baltimore, which is fairly close to me, and I had never heard of them until I read the Pitchfork review. Wilderness is going to be one of these bands that one either loves or hates and I definitely love their debut.

Sep 18, 2005 at 9:30 PM Post #140 of 149
I've had many tingling feelings lately but mostly in the genre of metal...

Nightrage - Circle of Pain
Nile - Lashed to the slave stick
Death by Stereo - Forget Regret
Devildriver - Pale Horse Apocalypse
Tool - Pu**** (especially the live version from salival)

And some folky music too:

Kaki King - Ingots
Israel Kamakawiwo'ole - Somewhere over the rainbow... which was played at my nanna's funeral and is very emotionally loaded for me now
John Mayer - Quiet

Lots of tingles going on with my schizophrenic musical taste
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 18, 2005 at 9:36 PM Post #141 of 149
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFiRE
Tool - Pu**** (especially the live version from salival)

I just picked up Salival at a used record store for $16, and the CD and DVD were in MINT, and I mean MINT condition
eek.gif

Sep 18, 2005 at 10:24 PM Post #142 of 149
Iron Maiden - Rime Of The Ancient Mariner

when i was listening to it in the dark laying in bed and i was caught off guard by the part of the song when all you hear is ship noise etc.

Sep 19, 2005 at 1:02 AM Post #146 of 149
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal
Man Doug, you ought to bottle all the buzz you get and sell it.

Porcupine Tree - Deadwing

Thank you head-fi!

Matt,
You're right! I wish that I could, I've gotten onto the motherlode of great music lately and I'm lovin' it!
biggrin.gif
cool.gif

This Nick Cave album is awesome...another recommendation by Davey...
PS. My favorite song on the album that you're listening to is "Halo"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back