The La's ... now that's a classic slice of brit-pop!
Jul 28, 2005 at 7:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Davey

Headphoneus Supremus
This is one of my all-time faves. I can remember many, many mornings getting ready for work with this brit-pop classic playing in the background. What a perfect feel good record to spin when you want to get your mind awake. Almost like a cup or two of some good java. Twelve first rate pop songs in a row without a single track that is even close to not good. Produced (in the end) by Steve Lillywhite and released in 1990 after many delays due to lead man Lee Mavers perfectionism, a perfectionism that led to many band changes and producer changes and re-recordings and ultimately to him disowning this brilliant album because it was not as perfect as he wanted. A true shame, because it is nearly perfect and one of the most satisfying and enjoyable albums I have ever heard. I think the single "There She Goes" was fairly successful, but the album didn't come out until a couple years later and so couldn't ride the coattails of the hit song. Many bands have since covered songs from this monumental album and Oasis kind of built a career around it, but this is the real deal.

Picked up the 2001 Polydor UK remaster for a super low price from a Canadian source when it came out, even though the original was nly about 10 years old - but there were also 5 bonus tracks which clinched the deal. A golden opportunity to hear one of my all-time faves, remastered and expanded, for less than the price you would pay for most used albums. And the sound quality is somewhat improved over my original without any negatives that I can hear. The vocals are clearer and there is more airiness around all the sounds which helps relieve the congestion of sounds in the middle on the original. Much more relaxed presentation. Not an audiophile recording by any means, and the results will of course depend on your system and listening preferences, but well worth it on my system and to my ears, and fortunately they only needed to add compression to a couple of the songs to jack up the volume since most of it was originally mastered at a very low level. It has a certain honest quality missing from many modern recordings, perhaps because it was done in analog (I'm pretty sure), and I'm a sucker for most things analog.

But I'm sure many of you know all that good stuff already. But do you know Shack? I've always loved their HMS Fable album that came out in the late 90s but never saw anything else available here in the US. So I'm listening to it again for the umpteenth time a few weeks ago and decided that I absolutely needed a copy of their 1995 Waterpistol. So tried to score one cheap on ebay but it got too high. Undeterred, I did score a real nice deal on the Animals That Swim retrospective called Faded Glamour, but kept looking for the Shack CD. And found a source in Canada for a good price, so ordered it along with the latest from that Aussie pop band the Lucksmiths (a story for another day). I've been listening to Waterpistol pretty much exclusively for the last week and it just has that same classic sound as The La's. Any of you know and love (or not) this Shack album? I can tell it's gonna be a favorite long into the future. Very nice ....

So what are some of you classic slices of that late 80s / early 90s brit-pop that still do it for you?

Jul 28, 2005 at 8:52 PM Post #2 of 30
Lee Mavers is now playing in the UK with John Powers as the Las. Let's hope they make a new record.

Jul 28, 2005 at 9:00 PM Post #3 of 30
Yep that's in my power trio of 80's dreamy popdom-

1)There She Goes by the La's
2)Streets of your Town by the Go-Betweens
3)I don't know why I Love You - The House of Love (technically 1990)

Jul 29, 2005 at 2:24 AM Post #4 of 30
Its always good to read your posts Davey. British pop always does it for me! I recently bought The Jam Collection (markl's recommendation) and I'm just plain hooked. It has a sing-a-long quality, lots of hooks, and plenty of rawk moments. The lyrics are as brilliant as any I've heard, and there's an everyman feel to the group - like Bruce Springsteen for the States. I get a boner listening to this stuff. Of course I'm open to any suggestions that catch this vibe.

Jul 29, 2005 at 3:04 PM Post #5 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by zoboomofo
Its always good to read your posts Davey .... I get a boner listening to this stuff.

Hey zoboo! There is such a thing as sharing too much, and knowing that you sit in the dark with a pair of Sonys clamped on your head, listening to brit-pop and sporting a big boner, is probably too much
wink.gif

But thanks for the reply. Glad you enjoy my long-winded and often silly posts.

Jul 31, 2005 at 2:15 AM Post #6 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davey
Hey zoboo! There is such a thing as sharing too much,,,sporting a big boner, is probably too much
wink.gif

To quote Ed Harkin from Anchorman,

Uh, of course how silly of me. I was just speaking in generalities.

I'll get to check out The Las at my mecca (Virgin Megastore) tonight while I'm in town for some fireworks action.

Jul 31, 2005 at 8:54 PM Post #7 of 30
wow... i've not heard The La's mentioned for a long time. their one and only album is a Brit-pop classic, chock full of hooks and melodies and pretty acoustic vibe. IMO "Timeless Melody" is just as infectiously catchy as "There She Goes." and speaking of which, i get really annoyed when people say they like the version that Sixpence None the Richer butchered, and i play them the original La's version, and they always say "i like the version with the girl singing better..." it drives me up the walls!

bassist turned vocalist/guitarist John Powers left The La's after the first album and tour because Lee Mavers took total control and did not allow anyone else to write when he can hardly write himself, so he formed the band Cast, who released an album called AllChange in 1995. it had a very similar feel to The La's, but with a bit more swagger and anthemic songs. the album had a handful of successful singles like "Sandstorm," "Walk Away," and "Finetime." unfortunatley the second album Mother Nature Calls wasn't as well received, and i lost interest in the band since they never released another album in the States besides AllChange.

another similar situation of failed genius is The Stone Roses' self titled debut. this is absolutely a quintessential Brit-Pop album, IMHO even more so than The La's. unfortunately, because of endless bickering with their record label and amongst the bandmembers themselves, the band self-disintegrated.

Aug 16, 2005 at 2:22 AM Post #10 of 30
Just for a little follow-up on this thread. I made the purchase, and I'm delighted at what I hear on The Las. It's right up my alley with the retro 60s Brit thing. The sound of the album is pretty timeless thank goodness. I'll have to say that Timeless Melody is my favorite tune off this cd - favorite of any song currently as well!

The sound off this album is like something off of the tv show Heartbeat - fun, but not too polished, original but very hooky. It's great morning music. Thanks for the recommendation!

Aug 16, 2005 at 2:37 AM Post #11 of 30
My brother gave me that album back in 1991, and I've been listening to it ever since. I still pick it up about 5-6 times a year. Good album...

Aug 16, 2005 at 6:58 AM Post #12 of 30
Sorry to sabotage the thread but you guys might know what I'm talking about more than if I were to post this on the headphone section. What cans sound the best to you guys with songs like the las timeless memory? If this song can sound really good and warm/rich on any headphone i need to get one cause i need a good britpop loving can that will sound great with bands like the las, suede and others with this type of sound recording.

Aug 17, 2005 at 3:13 AM Post #13 of 30
all aboard the crazy train:

Donunus, the best headphones for the job in my experience would be The Sony MDR-R10. They sounded marvelously sweet out of Trevornetwork's Dynahi / Benchmark DAC-1 combo. The sweet tone is a good match for jangly guitar music and vocals. I've got a cd-3000 that does the job nicely out of a tube amp.

back on track:

Bong, I'd like to see you on the Music Jeopardy game show sometime. You've always been able to fill those missing links in my music encyclopedia. I had no idea Cast had roots in The Las. And it was so nice of Six Pence... to let these boys sing their song
evil_smiley.gif

I'm excited to see the line-up of music coming to Vancouver. I'm mulling over the Kasabian show (with special hosts Oasis). Oasis would be good if they kept the set mostly pre-95. Otherwise us crazy Vancouverites might have to reacquaint those monkeys with Mr. Shoe
tongue.gif
<-shades of Morning Glory tour.

Sep 10, 2005 at 4:08 PM Post #14 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by zoboomofo
Bong, I'd like to see you on the Music Jeopardy game show sometime. You've always been able to fill those missing links in my music encyclopedia. I had no idea Cast had roots in The Las. And it was so nice of Six Pence... to let these boys sing their song
evil_smiley.gif

I'm excited to see the line-up of music coming to Vancouver. I'm mulling over the Kasabian show (with special hosts Oasis). Oasis would be good if they kept the set mostly pre-95. Otherwise us crazy Vancouverites might have to reacquaint those monkeys with Mr. Shoe
tongue.gif
<-shades of Morning Glory tour.

somehow i missed this post, but thanks so much for the compliment! a walking Britpop encyclopedia, that's me...
biggrin.gif

wow... how was Kasabian and Oasis? that must've been one hell of a good show. i really like Kasabian's debut (very Happy Mondays and Primal Scream-like) and Oasis' Dont Believe the Truth has been really growing on me... much better than Standing on the Shoulder...

Sep 11, 2005 at 12:18 PM Post #15 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davey
So what are some of you classic slices of that late 80s / early 90s brit-pop that still do it for you?

Britpop 1989-94 (best of the early years)

Stone Roses - s/t
Suede - s/t, Dogman Star
Ned's Atomic Dustbin - God Fodder
Oasis - Definitely Maybe
Mainc Street Preachers - 1st three albums
Verve - Storm in Heaven
Blur - Parlife (first three albums)
Pulp - His n Hers
Echobelly - Everybodies Got One

I am intentionally omitting any group associated with shoegaze so as not to confuse things.......

Not a huge fan of the La's sound, but Gallagher brothers of Oasis always list it as one of thier influences.

Btw I will offer counter to Marks finding that La's s/t was ground zero for Britpop.......I would say 1989 Stone Roses s/t was more influential to the movement, plus better album
k1000smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back