The LaRocco Diablo....
Sep 11, 2008 at 3:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Lsportline43

500+ Head-Fier
Well I thought I'd start a discussion about this portable amp since I am going to get my hands on one VERY soon.

I don't know much about the LaRocco Diablo, other than the fact that it is made by LaRocco Audio and that speaks volumes in terms of sound quality and build quality. Other features I know about it include: it has bass contour feature (like its sibling the Pocket Reference II), volume knob, and panaromic knob. Not too sure if the panaromic knob will be of use to me. Also it runs off of an ipod mini battery.

A question that comes to mind when I think about LaRocco is: What happened to the company? Are they gone? I know the website is gone, but what does that mean? Any info that this?

A negative side of the amp is that it is glued shut. Don't know how one would service it, but I've seen pictures of it open. I'm guessing there is a way to get it open. I'm only worried about replacing the battery in 2-3 years.

Any other comments on the amp?

P.S. I think it is definitly one of the best looking portable amps out there!
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 11, 2008 at 3:39 PM Post #5 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by dazzer1975 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You definitely need to do some research on larocco audio if you think that name speaks volumes for quality.

I never heard bad things. I guess I do need to research more. Anyone have specific threads I should read regarding the LaRocco Diablo? I found some, but they don't seem to address the build quality/reliability of the unit.

Seems to be a lot of negative vibes towards the Diablo...

Sep 11, 2008 at 5:35 PM Post #6 of 25
Sep 16, 2008 at 2:00 AM Post #7 of 25
Just received mine!

gedc0053ew3.jpg

gedc0056za8.jpg

gedc0057cv5.jpg

The pictures didn't come out so great... I guess it was the lighting. I'll try and get some more up later.

Sep 16, 2008 at 2:18 AM Post #8 of 25
*Sigh*

I wish Ray Samuels would take a cue or two from the Diablo styling for his portables.

Sep 16, 2008 at 4:22 AM Post #9 of 25
Here's some more photos:

gedc0063io3.jpg

gedc0062at8.jpg

Sep 16, 2008 at 4:30 AM Post #10 of 25
Haven't received my VRAY prime interconnect yet, so I'm using a radio shack mini-to-mini. But so far the Diablo sounds good. Can't say it's great, but I'll definitely give it more time. This is my first separate portable amplifier.

P.S. I am running the Diablo with my iRiver H132CF to iBasso D1 via optical to Diablo via radio shack interconnect.

Sep 16, 2008 at 4:37 AM Post #11 of 25
I can't believe you just received a Diablo. Larocco audio owes me one (for over three years) and I can't get in touch with them. Their website is gone and the email I send is bounced back. I was thinking they folded up their tent and disappeared into the night.

Sep 16, 2008 at 4:40 AM Post #12 of 25
Dang; that Diablo would look sweet next to a Yotank.
smily_headphones1.gif

itankclassicsilver.jpg

Sep 16, 2008 at 4:46 AM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by mogata /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't believe you just received a Diablo. Larocco audio owes me one (for over three years) and I can't get in touch with them. Their website is gone and the email I send is bounced back. I was thinking they folded up their tent and disappeared into the night.

I didn't receive one from LaRocco. I actually bought one from a second owner. So I bought it off of someone on head-fi.org.

Did you still want one or did you just want your money back? Cause I'm going to wait to see how this amp changes with the Vray prime interconnect. If it doesn't then I really don't see the reason for keeping it.

I really do enjoy my iBasso D1's internal amplifier, but I thought it would get better with the LaRocco Diablo. Right now the Diablo sounds less detailed than the iBasso D1's amp. But that really could be because of the interconnect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back