The Kiwi ears Quintet Thread:
Apr 15, 2024 at 12:02 PM Post #316 of 330
Love the colour combo :)

IMG_20240414_204622.jpg

May 24, 2024 at 3:21 PM Post #317 of 330
Even though I've owned the Quintet for over a couple of months, I have to say I feel like I am only really hearing them for the first time. I've suspected for a while that I wasn't getting the best seal and have tried a number of silicon tips. Especially in my left ear, my ear canal angle seems to result in a slight bend of the tip and bass loss.

Well, I finally got around to digging out some generic blue memory foam tips. The perfect seal resulted in a perfectly balanced stereo stage akin to wearing a good set of over-ears, massive improvement in bass depth detail and impact, and tamed highs (as a result of the rest of the spectrum being more balanced).

Having owned numerous IEMs before, I should have known that this can always be an issue.

TL;DR: Are your Quintets sounding a bit sharp and overexcited? Are they missing a bit of bass? You very well may not have an airtight seal.

These are perfect now. I'll just need to order a bag of these foam tips and figure out where I got them.

May 24, 2024 at 3:25 PM Post #318 of 330
Even though I've owned the Quintet for over a couple of months, I have to say I feel like I am only really hearing them for the first time. I've suspected for a while that I wasn't getting the best seal and have tried a number of silicon tips. Especially in my left ear, my ear canal angle seems to result in a slight bend of the tip and bass loss.

Well, I finally got around to digging out some generic blue memory foam tips. The perfect seal resulted in a perfectly balanced stereo stage akin to wearing a good set of over-ears, massive improvement in bass depth detail and impact, and tamed highs (as a result of the rest of the spectrum being more balanced).

Having owned numerous IEMs before, I should have known that this can always be an issue.

TL;DR: Are your Quintets sounding a bit sharp and overexcited? Are they missing a bit of bass? You very well may not have an airtight seal.

These are perfect now. I'll just need to order a bag of these foam tips and figure out where I got them.

That's what makes it breaks the sound of IEMs, and some are more difficult to get right than others. Good you found the right tip for you 👍 :)

May 24, 2024 at 5:15 PM Post #321 of 330
My yellow spinfits work fine

May 29, 2024 at 9:30 PM Post #323 of 330
I would like to ask somethings about the Quintet for those here that own it.
While, like many, I have quite a collection of IEM at the moment I didn't jump into the Quintet at the time of release, even though it had very big praises, because in my region it can be quite pricy and and already have a few more expensive sets but we all know that price doesn't relate entirely to quality, especially how fast Chi-Fi has been evolving.

So, my questions:
1. Do you think the Quintet holds up to its price point compared to current releases?
2. Could you compare its tuning to another IEM that sounds more or less like it?
3. My current favorite IEMs at the moment are the Moondrop Variations and the Truthear Nova but I do like different and unusual tunings, like the Moondrop SSR. Do you think this could be a nice side grade? (I listen to a lot of Pop, K-Pop, Game OSTs, Jazz, Lo-Fi).

May 29, 2024 at 9:41 PM Post #324 of 330
I would like to ask somethings about the Quintet for those here that own it.
While, like many, I have quite a collection of IEM at the moment I didn't jump into the Quintet at the time of release, even though it had very big praises, because in my region it can be quite pricy and and already have a few more expensive sets but we all know that price doesn't relate entirely to quality, especially how fast Chi-Fi has been evolving.

So, my questions:
1. Do you think the Quintet holds up to its price point compared to current releases?
2. Could you compare its tuning to another IEM that sounds more or less like it?
3. My current favorite IEMs at the moment are the Moondrop Variations and the Truthear Nova but I do like different and unusual tunings, like the Moondrop SSR. Do you think this could be a nice side grade? (I listen to a lot of Pop, K-Pop, Game OSTs, Jazz, Lo-Fi).
1. Yes.
2. I just got the Dusk, and I have a Himalaya, both over 300$, and the Quintet does a pretty good job of hanging with both. My Monarch is the only thing I own that feels like it's in a different league.
3. I try not to comment on IEMs I don't own, and I don't own the Nova, but I know it's pretty Harman shaped. The Quintet probably has less midbass and a slightly leaner midrange than the Nova. Some people think the Quintet sounds thin. I disagree. I think it's balanced pretty nicely.

Last edited:
May 30, 2024 at 11:06 AM Post #326 of 330
I let my boss borrow my Quintet about 2 months ago and I cant get it back from him!

May 30, 2024 at 11:37 AM Post #327 of 330
1. Yes.
2. I just got the Dusk, and I have a Himalaya, both over 300$, and the Quintet does a pretty good job of hanging with both. My Monarch is the only thing I own that feels like it's in a different league.
3. I try not to comment on IEMs I don't own, and I don't own the Nova, but I know it's pretty Harman shaped. The Quintet probably has less midbass and a slightly leaner midrange than the Nova. Some people think the Quintet sounds thin. I disagree. I think it's balanced pretty nicely.
Thanks for the quick response. I'm very close to take the plunge.

By the Dusk, you mean the new Dusk, right? Not the Blessing 2 Dusk.
I do own the Blessing 2 Dusk and if you do too, I'd love to know how the Quintet would compare to it, and about the new Dusk I did EQ the Moondrop May to the new Dusk, with the parameters shared by SuperReview, which he claimed to be a very close representation of it, so I could also benefit of a comparison of it, if you don't mind, of course.

May 30, 2024 at 12:53 PM Post #328 of 330

I do own the Blessing 2 Dusk and if you do too, I'd love to know how the Quintet would compare to it, and about the new Dusk I did EQ the Moondrop May to the new Dusk, with the parameters shared by SuperReview, which he claimed to be a very close representation of it, so I could also benefit of a comparison of it, if you don't mind, of course.
Yes new Dusk, which unfortunately is the only blessing derivative I've tried. In Analog its actually not that far off the Quintet. The DSP cable pushes it a little warmer.

Jun 1, 2024 at 10:13 AM Post #329 of 330

If you can wait for the Simgot Supermix 4 you'll have a more polished IEM with smoother uppermids/treble that performs better at a lower price (there are plenty of good youtube reviews on demo models). I personally felt like the uppermids of the quintet to sound a slightly artificial with a kind of plasticky timbre (different and palatable) but not something I really loved. The Blessing 2 dusk felt like 80% of an IEM with how little treble extension it had lol - so any newer IEM would be a welcome change.

Jun 1, 2024 at 12:08 PM Post #330 of 330
If you can wait for the Simgot Supermix 4 you'll have a more polished IEM with smoother uppermids/treble that performs better at a lower price (there are plenty of good youtube reviews on demo models). I personally felt like the uppermids of the quintet to sound a slightly artificial with a kind of plasticky timbre (different and palatable) but not something I really loved. The Blessing 2 dusk felt like 80% of an IEM with how little treble extension it had lol - so any newer IEM would be a welcome change.
I'll take this to heart because while I appreciate the Blessing 2 Dusk I agree something always felt off in it, for me. Not that it's bad but it did lack something. A feeling I would not have even with much cheaper sets.
While I do understand more stuff of the hobby than when I started, I must admit I can't pull me head around "treble extension". I'd love to know because I'm one of those people that really enjoys some treble sparkle and knowing more what it means could be the answer to a lot of stuff.

Just for some closure on the Quintet, I decided to grab the Blessing 3. With current sale at some sites I managed to get it for about $269 new. I even considered the Softears Studio 4 but I was afraid it might be too tame in the treble for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back