The Kiwi ears Quintet Thread:
Aug 26, 2023 at 3:20 PM Post #196 of 316
Hi!!
Could you compare you Quintet with the IE600
The Quintet is very good, at it's level, but the IE600 is at another level. Of course it depends on the overall system, and what you listen to/for in music . I've been listening to the Quintet solidly for a week, and also burning it in, so had not done any comparison, and was just enjoying it tremendously.
Your question made me curious, so I got the IE600 out and compared them. A caveat is that the Quintet is using it's stock cable, with 3.5mm plug, while the IE600 is using it's stock cable with 4.4mm plug, so the IE600 has the advantage of using the balanced 4.4mm output. From a WM1AM2 - > W4-EX (L&P dongle which I am burning in) -> IE600 / Quintet

For me, what the IE600 does is to make vocals, instruments more natural, and immersive. Listening to a singer, it can make you forget about technicalities, and just listen to the song/voice./music Instrument/music rhythm, flow pulls you in. You don't think of anything else, as the music just involves you. The IE600 can do this. The Quintet falls short.

The Quintet is very good, but cannot beat the IE600 in reproducing "music". I expect there would be some improvement to the Quintet if it was using a 4.4mm balanced cable, but don't think that would enable it to beat the IE600.

I would love for the Quintet to beat $kilobuck IEMs, and save a lot of money, but that is not true (yet).

Aug 27, 2023 at 12:52 AM Post #197 of 316
The Quintet is very good, at it's level, but the IE600 is at another level. Of course it depends on the overall system, and what you listen to/for in music . I've been listening to the Quintet solidly for a week, and also burning it in, so had not done any comparison, and was just enjoying it tremendously.
Your question made me curious, so I got the IE600 out and compared them. A caveat is that the Quintet is using it's stock cable, with 3.5mm plug, while the IE600 is using it's stock cable with 4.4mm plug, so the IE600 has the advantage of using the balanced 4.4mm output. From a WM1AM2 - > W4-EX (L&P dongle which I am burning in) -> IE600 / Quintet

For me, what the IE600 does is to make vocals, instruments more natural, and immersive. Listening to a singer, it can make you forget about technicalities, and just listen to the song/voice./music Instrument/music rhythm, flow pulls you in. You don't think of anything else, as the music just involves you. The IE600 can do this. The Quintet falls short.

The Quintet is very good, but cannot beat the IE600 in reproducing "music". I expect there would be some improvement to the Quintet if it was using a 4.4mm balanced cable, but don't think that would enable it to beat the IE600.

I would love for the Quintet to beat $kilobuck IEMs, and save a lot of money, but that is not true (yet).
What would you consider to be a good upgrade from the quintet in the next price tier up?

Aug 27, 2023 at 4:47 AM Post #198 of 316
What would you consider to be a good upgrade from the quintet in the next price tier up?
Difficult question to answer, as each person's experience is different. There is no easy way to decide that X is better than Y. Just in what musical character each person looks for, and that changing with time and experience, is a question I cannot answer, even for myself. There is no shortcut to replace personal experience, and make audio into an "easy" hobby, with a list of equipment for various requirements. Ask 10 people, and you will get 10 different lists. And many objections and disagreements.

One recent IEM that I like a lot is the Meze Advar, which may be an answer to your question. But bear in mind that it suits my preferences, and may or may not suit yours.

My own experience is that I have read, and followed a lot of recommendations. Many/most did not work out that well. I realized that I needed to understand clearly what I was looking for, before I could look for recommendations that would match my goals. And then I found that most reviews did not give much information in my area of interest. So the search continues.

A very important question to answer/understand, to guide what equipment to investigate: What do you look for in music?

One of my self imposed restrictions is that I will not chase the extreme TOTL market. For me, I think that would lead to overspending and continuously chasing for the next "best" thing. And in the end, leave me less happy, chasing equipment instead of enjoying music with affordable equipment. Plus I have already been down that path before.

Aug 27, 2023 at 4:58 AM Post #199 of 316
It is like a plate of food. Everyone at the party gets equal serving of food, but many like the potatoes the best. Some wait for the desert. Some of course like the meat. Whatever is of value depends on what you actually value. The only reason I feel the Quintet is popular is because it is well balanced and offers an expanded treble that is price-point leading if you’re into what it does.

The thing is there are hundreds of IEMs that are a nice upgrade but none of them are going to be exactly like the Quintet.

Start maybe at $300 to $400/$500 and try to itemize what you get. I mean sure many things can be improved upon, and I like to weigh it as more money at times gets you musical involvement and at times realism. Great answer so far. Again though it is going to be highly personal what you value. What have you heard that you like? Still when you double the cost you get 10% or 20% improvements at best.

I would almost suggest possible side grades, like the DUNU Vulkan, or the IMR BC 2023? Maybe the Hype 2 by Thieaudio, though I have not heard it yet, maybe in one or two days? The Penon Audio 10th Anniversary would be a great step upward, come to think about it? Really it’s funny as I never recommend stuff I haven’t heard but the Hype 2 is well regarded, also the DUNU SA6 MK2, which I also have not heard?

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2023 at 4:11 PM Post #200 of 316
Hi all! Great input on the Quintet, I'm about to buy them soon.
My newbie question is: can they be used with any 2-pin 0.78mm balanced cable (I have the Letshuoer S12 one, specifically)?
For my main source I'd use the Ifi Go Blu, on the balanced end. Have anyone got insight on this pairing? I love the Blu, btw.
Thanks so much!

Aug 27, 2023 at 4:20 PM Post #201 of 316
Hi all! Great input on the Quintet, I'm about to buy them soon.
My newbie question is: can they be used with any 2-pin 0.78mm balanced cable (I have the Letshuoer S12 one, specifically)?
For my main source I'd use the Ifi Go Blu, on the balanced end. Have anyone got insight on this pairing? I love the Blu, btw.
Thanks so much!
That Cable should work fine

Aug 29, 2023 at 11:35 AM Post #202 of 316
Difficult question to answer, as each person's experience is different. There is no easy way to decide that X is better than Y. Just in what musical character each person looks for, and that changing with time and experience, is a question I cannot answer, even for myself. There is no shortcut to replace personal experience, and make audio into an "easy" hobby, with a list of equipment for various requirements. Ask 10 people, and you will get 10 different lists. And many objections and disagreements.

One recent IEM that I like a lot is the Meze Advar, which may be an answer to your question. But bear in mind that it suits my preferences, and may or may not suit yours.

My own experience is that I have read, and followed a lot of recommendations. Many/most did not work out that well. I realized that I needed to understand clearly what I was looking for, before I could look for recommendations that would match my goals. And then I found that most reviews did not give much information in my area of interest. So the search continues.

A very important question to answer/understand, to guide what equipment to investigate: What do you look for in music?

One of my self imposed restrictions is that I will not chase the extreme TOTL market. For me, I think that would lead to overspending and continuously chasing for the next "best" thing. And in the end, leave me less happy, chasing equipment instead of enjoying music with affordable equipment. Plus I have already been down that path before.
Thanks for the reply! My favorite local hifi store carries Meze products, so I'll check the Advar out next time I'm there.

I love my Quintets, but I guess what I'm looking for is a slightly more musical version of it with the same or better levels of technical ability. I recently bought the chu 2 on a whim since I had the original ones, and was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoy the sound of it. So I think I'm leaning towards a V- or W-shaped signature with great technicalities.

For context, here's my IEM journey so far, outlining my preferences: Chu OG -> Wan'er -> Hexa -> Quintet. I also own the Timeless OG, IE200, KZ PR2 and Chu 2, but these did not dislodge my favorites at the time of purchase.

Dongles and DAC/AMPs: BTR3K, BTR5, Topping DX1, Jcally JM80E
Sources: S23 Ultra, Macbook Air mostly playing Tidal and Spotify

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2023 at 11:46 AM Post #203 of 316
Thanks for the reply! My favorite local hifi store carries Meze products, so I'll check the Advar out next time I'm there.

I love my Quintets, but I guess what I'm looking for is a slightly more musical version of it with the same or better levels of technical ability. I recently bought the chu 2 on a whim since I had the original ones, and was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoy the sound of it. So I think I'm leaning towards a V- or W-shaped signature with great technicalities.
I just got the Thieaudio Hype2 in, some initial comparisons are that it’s smoother and offers bigger bass, the twin Sonion BAs put out a seamless midrange and treble. Not quite as treble sculpted as the Quintet, but I’m asking myself if I’m missing anything, and so far no? Slightly more natural than the Quintet, but thick sounding, thicker/warmer than the Quintet, it’s $299.00 so more money, and sounds like it to me, in these early stages of listening. Still not burned-in yet?

CB5DBD89-88C2-4245-8BC7-622DFF6FDBB5.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2023 at 11:54 AM Post #204 of 316
I just got the Thieaudio Hype2 in, some initial comparisons are that it’s smoother and offers bigger bass, the twin Sonion BA put out a seamless midrange and treble. Not quite as sculpted as the Quintet, but I’m asking myself if I’m missing anything, and so far no? Slightly more natural than the Quintet, but thick sounding, thicker/warmer than the Quintet, it’s $299.00 so more money, and sounds like it to me, in these early stages of listening. Still not burned-in yet?
The Hype2 seem very interesting to me - I'll be looking out for your updated impressions for sure!

Aug 29, 2023 at 12:00 PM Post #205 of 316
The Hype2 seem very interesting to me - I'll be looking out for your updated impressions for sure!
Well, I have posted more in comparison with the Quintet is the Discovery Thread. Don’t want to derail this thread with so much talk of another IEM, but so far it’s maybe some of the same, being they are both trying to be both balanced/warm and somewhat detailed?

More musical, you ask for? Maybe, I think it is, it doesn’t have all that top-end sculptor like the Quintet, but offers a style of oneness where the Quintet is more of maybe a mixture of tones. Here they are using 2 DDs, and 2 BAs. If anything it’s also a nice difference from the Quintet. Still for the money spent, the Quintet is special and very hard to beat!

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2023 at 3:24 PM Post #207 of 316

Another IEM to try is the Raptgo Hook X HBB. More of a sidegrade, though. A large 14.2 planar driver + PZT. I paired it with a Hansound Aegis cable, and it sounds sweet.

Sep 2, 2023 at 4:32 PM Post #210 of 316
Any comparison between quintet and blessing 3 ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back