The King of Budget Neutrality - KRK KNS 8400s
May 14, 2012 at 12:49 AM Post #16 of 24
Quote:

Definitely agree on the isolation. I also have a roommate, and the isolation is pretty good. It's also not fatiguing, so I can wear them for a long time without my head hurting from the music.
I've been trying awhile to get the K501s, but not much luck.

Between the Q701 and K701/K702 series, which one would you say are closer to the 8400s in terms of sound quality? Also, just out of curiosity, how does the bass quantity in 8400s match up to the Q701 or K70x series?

I would say the KRK KNS-8400 is closer to the Q701. It's not as thin sounding (with a good amp/dac) as the K702 is and has more engaging and more forward mids than the K702. The mids on the K702 were kind of lean to me, unlike the warmer Q701.

They actually have quite a few similarities to the Q701. I didn't do any major A/B comparisons and when I did it was mostly in Skyrim the game. I'd be perfectly happy with the Q701 or the KNS-8400 for gaming.

Specific sounds in Skyrim actually sound fuller, like they had more weight to them. Stuff like the wind, low rumbling sounds in caves and even the horses snorting. I think the KNS-8400 at times feels like it has more detail than the Q701. At least it's easier to spot. Often it sounds a bit clearer too, but both are crystal clear to me. The 8400 makes Skyrim feels almost lifelike.

I actually think if someone was looking for a closed headphone similar to a Q701, the KNS-8400 might do the trick. Sounds crazy I know considering most think it's the K550(!). I've heard people say the SRH-940 sounds like a closed K702 and I'm just not hearing it. To me that's more like a weird mix of the HD-600 and K702. Actually maybe the 598 and K702. Bizzare I know.

I would say the Q701 actually  has more mid-bass. The KRK KNS-8400 has more forward/present sub-bass. Some may think i'm full of it, but I noticed this with a lot of music. The KNS-8400 can pick up some sub-bass that my HD-600, 598 and Q701 have trouble with. The DJ100 has better sub-bass though IMO. It's hard to say which is the most accurate when it comes to the sub-bass.

I actually can't think of any other headphones that the 8400 is the more similar to. I don't think it's the K550 or DT-880 at all.

May 14, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #17 of 24
Thanks. I definitely agree with the headband part. There's such a big gap, but it's not too big of a deal since I don't wear it out, but I wish they did conform to my head a lot better.
Quote:
Great post on a great headphone. I sold these and repurchased them just recently because I realized how much I missed them and what a great find they were. Truly amazing at the price (even though the headband is ugly - wish it conformed to the head). I also appreciate live music and these truly do live concert recordings justice.
Recently I've been wondering how they compare to Sennheiser HD380s. Anyone have any input on that?

Quote:

I would say the KRK KNS-8400 is closer to the Q701. It's not as thin sounding (with a good amp/dac) as the K702 is and has more engaging and more forward mids than the K702. The mids on the K702 were kind of lean to me, unlike the warmer Q701.

They actually have quite a few similarities to the Q701. I didn't do any major A/B comparisons and when I did it was mostly in Skyrim the game. I'd be perfectly happy with the Q701 or the KNS-8400 for gaming.

Specific sounds in Skyrim actually sound fuller, like they had more weight to them. Stuff like the wind, low rumbling sounds in caves and even the horses snorting. I think the KNS-8400 at times feels like it has more detail than the Q701. At least it's easier to spot. Often it sounds a bit clearer too, but both are crystal clear to me. The 8400 makes Skyrim feels almost lifelike.

I actually think if someone was looking for a closed headphone similar to a Q701, the KNS-8400 might do the trick. Sounds crazy I know considering most think it's the K550(!). I've heard people say the SRH-940 sounds like a closed K702 and I'm just not hearing it. To me that's more like a weird mix of the HD-600 and K702. Actually maybe the 598 and K702. Bizzare I know.

I would say the Q701 actually  has more mid-bass. The KRK KNS-8400 has more forward/present sub-bass. Some may think i'm full of it, but I noticed this with a lot of music. The KNS-8400 can pick up some sub-bass that my HD-600, 598 and Q701 have trouble with. The DJ100 has better sub-bass though IMO. It's hard to say which is the most accurate when it comes to the sub-bass.

I actually can't think of any other headphones that the 8400 is the more similar to. I don't think it's the K550 or DT-880 at all.

Thanks for the response! I think I'll get a chance to audition the K701 soon, but I also want to definitely hear the Q701 before I make a decision. They're just harder to find among people I know.

Aug 28, 2012 at 2:23 AM Post #18 of 24
After reading your excellent review as a classical music lover and vocalist I purchased the KNS 8400. I totally agree with your review. It is neutral, very detailed and has excellent sound stage from low to high frequencies even right out of the box without "burn-in'. The biggest surprise to me is that it does surpass my Senn. HD-600 in almost every aspect of sound quality. The treble is so beautiful and clear. I am completely puzzled at some comments of treble being harsh. It works most beautifully with my Anedio D2 DAC. The sound quality of this can is not that far from that of my Adam A7X active monitors and subwoofer 8.

Aug 28, 2012 at 6:10 AM Post #19 of 24
Quote:

Again, these are everything that I heard and is in my OWN experiences and opinions, so I'm not claiming that this is 100% true, but I feel that I have a stronger grasp of music then the average person.

The verdict : 

I was worried before purchasing the 8400s because people were complaining about harsh treble and lack of bass, but THEY LIE! (bold claim, I know. Ha.) I don't want to go into too much details, but I feel like the 8400s produce them exactly as they do, and that's what I wanted. Also, as everyone else said about these, the details and separation, the accuracy of the soundstage is all there. I tried to find flaws in it, but I could not.

I liked the 8400's very much.
Never found the treble to be harsh.

But did find the bass lacking.
It it wasn't, I would have kept them and recommended them highly.

As it is, I think it's a product that will meet with strong opinions
one way or the other.

Quote:
Nice review. I'm always been a fan of these since getting them. I've owned 3 pairs! Some will prefer the 6400 over the 8400, but lately i've been suggesting the 8400. The 8400 seems to get everything right for me. I don't view the 6400 as a downgrade, just another flavor for those that like a slightly different signature.

I'll admit that I said that my first pair was bass light and had harsh treble. I think it's possible I got a lemon because the latest pair isn't even close to being bass light. It has even better sub-bass than even my Q701 and HD-600. The 6400 may be better for some with specific music. The 8400 would be better with say acoustic music or classical etc. I wonder how with the 8400 I get an impression of a large soundstage than the 6400? Very strange.

Interesting -

I wonder if the bass has been tweaked (in an unannounced move) a by KRK.

Another post indicated a second purchase of the 8400's and enjoying them
much more the second time...

Aug 28, 2012 at 6:45 AM Post #20 of 24
that headband...not the best if you are one with thin or almost no hair, after an hour you will have two big dots on your head :)
apart from that, I agree on all the staff
as a newbie (and still one) I was digging the recommendations staff, and what made me buy these was the unanimity on the aspects praised here..
(other HPs had all the views were/are on the real numbers line, from deep negative to unrealistically far positive...and that was really confusing)
jazz and treble...one of my most beloved albums Burried Treasures sounds incredible, and Morello's tsymbals are an orchestra delivering nothing but pure joy...

Aug 28, 2012 at 9:11 AM Post #21 of 24
Quote:
that headband...not the best if you are one with thin or almost no hair, after an hour you will have two big dots on your head :)
apart from that, I agree on all the staff
as a newbie (and still one) I was digging the recommendations staff, and what made me buy these was the unanimity on the aspects praised here..
(other HPs had all the views were/are on the real numbers line, from deep negative to unrealistically far positive...and that was really confusing)
jazz and treble...one of my most beloved albums Burried Treasures sounds incredible, and Morello's tsymbals are an orchestra delivering nothing but pure joy...

The 8400's are by no means a universally praised item.

In fact, the very recent thread/poll here on 6 or so comparably priced headphones has them in 4th place,
behind
the ATH M50, Beyer DT 990, and Shure SR 840.

Aug 28, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #22 of 24
Quote:

The 8400's are by no means a universally praised item.

In fact, the very recent thread/poll here on 6 or so comparably priced headphones has them in 4th place,
behind
the ATH M50, Beyer DT 990, and Shure SR 840.

oh ok, to be more exact, I was trying to say that we had say 10 opinions on KRK and all agreed on the neutrality and other staff, whereas we have maybe 100s of opinions on say HD598, and not a small portion of these deviate from each other...so the picture of 598 looked more blurred to me, whereas that on KRK was more or less sharp (but yeah with less colors if you like)...
So my logic need not imply praise of kinda universal caliber..
sorry for the misunderstanding...

Aug 29, 2012 at 4:40 AM Post #23 of 24
Quote:

oh ok, to be more exact, I was trying to say that we had say 10 opinions on KRK and all agreed on the neutrality and other staff, whereas we have maybe 100s of opinions on say HD598, and not a small portion of these deviate from each other...so the picture of 598 looked more blurred to me, whereas that on KRK was more or less sharp (but yeah with less colors if you like)...
So my logic need not imply praise of kinda universal caliber..
sorry for the misunderstanding...

Cool
Thanks for taking the time to clarify that

Oct 20, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #24 of 24
hey! anyone have any idea how these are for mixing/editing/studio work?
also how they compare to the Fischer FA-003's, or AKG K240's... or other budget studio phones for being flat/neutral/detailed for surgical audio work?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back