The KGSS Arrives
May 11, 2005 at 12:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

PATB

1000+ Head-Fier
My headamp KGSS finally arrived today. Here's a front side pic,

IMG_0794.jpg

and a family portrait,

IMG_0797.jpg

My KGSS is taller than a stock Headamp KGSS to accommodate the Black Gates capacitors. The KGSS occupies the entire shelf surface, so I can no longer use the back panel of my Salamander Designs rack as the XLR cables stick out.

As far as looks, from pictures posted here and on the headamp website, I always thought the headmp KGSS does not look as professional and sturdy as the GS-1 or Gilmore Lite. However, in person, the headamp KGSS looks and feels really sturdy and business-like. The etched letterings, the knobs, connectors, etc. are, as GMC puts it, "professional grade." The left and right volume are easy to match because the fron panel markers actually line up with the knob marker for each step of the attenuators. No need to count the steps to match volume. I also don't have a problem finding the right listenable volume even with the step attenuators.

I just plugged the Omega IIs about two hours ago but I can't help giving it a quick listen to check if both the Omega IIs and the KGSS work. It would be a bummer if my Omegas don't work, as I have to return it to EIFL in Japan. Thank goodness they both work.

I inserted Alison Krauss' "Lonely Runs Both Ways" album in the Meridian and pressed play. This album is wonderfully mastered and makes all my gear sound better than they have any right to be. The Meridian G08 is driving both the Rega Couple(RCA)/HR-2/Zu Mobius/HD650 on the unbalanced outputs and the Grover UR (XLR)/KGSS/O2 on the balanced outputs at the same time. A/B comparison is thus as fast as I can position the headphones on my head. As expected, the HD650s and the Omega IIs have two different sonic signatures. Even when the Omegas are not fully charged and broken-in, I can readily tell that the Omegas extract more detail from the album than the HD650 even when the KGSS is set at really low volume. Also, I thought the HD650 midrange is smooth, but the Omega's midrange is even more so. It is addicting. The Omegas also sound "fuller" than the HD650/Zu Mobius. That was actually a surprise to me. I am going to put the HD650 stock cable back for comparison, as I think the Zu makes the HD650s sound a tad thin.

I haven't had the chance to listen to the O2s with faster music, so I am not sure if the HD650s will be gathering dust soon. One thing is for certain, the CD3000 and the HD650 are the two "hi-fi" cans I heard before. Now, I am really curious how the HE90 sounds like.

May 11, 2005 at 12:06 AM Post #2 of 40
congrats on getting your amp. It might be worth you checking out the he60 as most headfiers comment it gives about 90-95% of he90's performance. I couldn't really comment as I have never heard the he90. You know you want to buy it....

May 11, 2005 at 12:09 AM Post #3 of 40
congrats on getting your amp.
biggrin.gif

one of these days I'll get around to putting blackgates in my Blue Hawaii, but then I like the current low-profile look which I feel the large blackgate power capacitors sticking out the back would take away from.

May 11, 2005 at 12:45 AM Post #6 of 40
GoRedwings19 said:
What?!?!? Did you say he should get a he60 or he 90?!?!? I second that....[/QUOTE

You pink menace... give the guys wallet
frown.gif
a chance to recover. There will be some signifigant sound quality gains once the amp, and especially those blackgates, are fully run in. Dont listen to him Pat. Enjoy your amp for a good while before you look for that next headphone.
lambda.gif

May 11, 2005 at 12:52 AM Post #8 of 40
sacd lover said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
What?!?!? Did you say he should get a he60 or he 90?!?!? I second that....[/QUOTE

You pink menace... give the guys wallet
frown.gif
a chance to recover. There will be some signifigant sound quality gains once the amp, and especially those blackgates, are fully run in. Dont listen to him Pat. Enjoy your amp for a good while before you look for that next headphone.
lambda.gif

What Earl? He60 or he90??? I third that....

He paid for the kgss or omega 2's months ago. I got mine just before he bought his. His wallet is at fully operational again.

I suppose I could always send him my he60's then....

PatB>Pm me if you dare....They have already arrived in North America....
wink.gif

May 11, 2005 at 1:04 AM Post #9 of 40
GoRedwings19 said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover

What Earl? He60 or he90??? I third that....

He paid for the kgss or omega 2's months ago. I got mine just before he bought his. His wallet is at fully operational again.

I suppose I could always send him my he60's then....

PatB>Pm me if you dare....

Well with that new information I would go he90. Why go with 90-95%? He should go for the best.

Is that better?
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 11, 2005 at 1:11 AM Post #10 of 40
sacd lover said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19

Well with that new information I would go he90. Why go with 90-95%? He should go for the best.

Is that better?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dude you totally rock
rs1smile.gif

Come On Pat, pull the damn trigger....do it, do it NOW!
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 11, 2005 at 1:34 AM Post #12 of 40
sweet setup man! give the O2 a little while to settle down then sit back and enjoy. it is one smoooth can. can't wait for my O2 to come back from Japan.

May 11, 2005 at 1:35 AM Post #13 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Canman
sweet setup man! give the O2 a little while to settle down then sit back and enjoy. it is one smoooth can. can't wait for my O2 to come back from Japan.

why did you have to send it to Japan?

May 11, 2005 at 1:38 AM Post #14 of 40
Thanks guys.

It has been two months but the wallet has not healed yet. It's not like I have unlimited funds like GRW. However, I am a Sennheiser man at heart , so the HE90 is still calling my name. A balanced amp for the HD650s will not be that bad either
wink.gif
Rumor has it that the HD650s take on a different personality when driven fully balanced. I have to resist as my kids still need food to eat.

Alex, I agree with the black gates. These suckers are tall and will stick out the regular headamp KGSS case. I wouldn't drill holes through the low-profile case just for them.

---Pat

May 11, 2005 at 1:38 AM Post #15 of 40
Congrates on your amp,the blackgates take a long time to break in & are the way to go with the KGSS,The bigger case is also a plus because it runs much cooler then the smaller cased units,I have my Melos & HEV90 stacked on top of the KGSS & it keeps its cool.
Justin builds a quality product,sit back & enjoy, it will get better as it breaks in
orphsmile.gif
orphsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back