The JVC HA-S680 - S400's and S500's big brother is here!
Nov 11, 2015 at 8:42 AM Post #976 of 1,066
How do you like their sound?

Only listened out of the box for a few minutes connected to my new OnePlus X. So far so good, better sound stage than 680s, less bloated bass and so so comfy!

Nov 11, 2015 at 8:51 AM Post #977 of 1,066
Only listened out of the box for a few minutes connected to my new OnePlus X. So far so good, better sound stage than 680s, less bloated bass and so so comfy!

The highs will become really smooth (zero sibilance) with burn in without losing their wonderful clarity at all..

I've listened to a few, considered ''very good'' closed mid-fi headphones, and I find the CAL beats them.

The only headphone I've heard that sounds noticably better than the CAL in all fronts, is the Philips Fidelio L2.

Nov 11, 2015 at 10:12 AM Post #978 of 1,066
The highs will become really smooth (zero sibilance) with burn in without losing their wonderful clarity at all..

I've listened to a few, considered ''very good'' closed mid-fi headphones, and I find the CAL beats them.

The only headphone I've heard that sounds noticably better than the CAL in all fronts, is the Philips Fidelio L2.

Thanks for the feedback mate.

I'm in AWE atm, I plugged them into my pc (which is the reason I bought them) and started playing counterstrike. All I have to say is wow, their positioning cues are so so much better than the S680! I can hear all directions pretty much as well and most of all above and below. It's worth mentioning that I'm still using the Sound blaster X-FI MB3 soft with the scout feature enabled.

Nov 22, 2015 at 8:28 AM Post #980 of 1,066
So, uh... I think I posted here ages ago, when the thread was new. Anyway, I wanted to say that I just ordered a pair and they're on their way! Viva la personal Christmas present.

Congrats!

Personal Christmas presents are the best.

Jan 8, 2016 at 2:46 AM Post #981 of 1,066
a question to owners of both CAL and S680

i'm looking to buy my first over ear phones, previously i used only in-ear sub 30$ phones and my old technics dh1200 for djing, the technics are terrible and i dont dj much these days so im looking for something comfy that i can use for 1 hour or more.

my concern is the build quality of the CAL's and their comfort, how they compare to the S680? can you use them at least 1 hour with getting any pain?

any other sub 50$ phones i should look into?

Jan 8, 2016 at 7:34 AM Post #982 of 1,066

i'm looking to buy my first over ear phones, previously i used only in-ear sub 30$ phones and my old technics dh1200 for djing, the technics are terrible and i dont dj much these days so im looking for something comfy that i can use for 1 hour or more.

my concern is the build quality of the CAL's and their comfort, how they compare to the S680? can you use them at least 1 hour with getting any pain?

They're both very comfortable, but I find the CAL even more comfortable. 

I used the CAL sometimes for 2 hours straight without any comfort issues. But the sound of the CAL is probably one of the best if not the best at that price.

Jan 8, 2016 at 5:54 PM Post #983 of 1,066

Are you into bass?

Panasonic HTF600
Skullcandy Grind (detachable cable, innerfidelity has a review on them)

These are somewhat comparable to S680, and from what I gather, Panasonic are the cheapest and give you the most bang for the buck, Skullcandy has a nice design and bunch of features plus lots of balanced bass, while S680 are unique for their carbon nanotubes and are probably the most comfortable of these.

Jan 8, 2016 at 7:20 PM Post #984 of 1,066

Are you into bass?

Panasonic HTF600
Skullcandy Grind (detachable cable, innerfidelity has a review on them)

These are somewhat comparable to S680, and from what I gather, Panasonic are the cheapest and give you the most bang for the buck, Skullcandy has a nice design and bunch of features plus lots of balanced bass, while S680 are unique for their carbon nanotubes and are probably the most comfortable of these.

I listen mostly to electronic music (house and techno) so yea, bass is important, in any case I've ordered the CAL!, if they won't be comfortable I'll order the S680 since you're saying they should be more comfortable than the panasonic and skullcandy

Thanks

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

Jan 9, 2016 at 3:27 PM Post #985 of 1,066
Notice I said "probably". You certainly shouldn't exclude any of these only because they MAY be slightly less comfortable to wear than the other option.

PS. Looks like Meizu HD50 is another new contender in this price range.

Mar 25, 2016 at 6:58 PM Post #986 of 1,066
Just finished reading all of this thread.

Interesting how the initial 40-50 pages of good reviews are afterwards shadowed by people not that happy with them. Since they are pretty cheap now i'm thinking on taking on dive on them but I have the JVC HA-RX900 (modded ofc) which from descriptions seems to have a similar signature. Also, i do have the Cal! which i think are the only cans that are constantly saying to me : "hey, i'm pretty good huh?". So these make me want to think more if i should get them or not.

Mar 25, 2016 at 7:28 PM Post #987 of 1,066
Just finished reading all of this thread.

Interesting how the initial 40-50 pages of good reviews are afterwards shadowed by people not that happy with them. Since they are pretty cheap now i'm thinking on taking on dive on them but I have the JVC HA-RX900 (modded ofc) which from descriptions seems to have a similar signature. Also, i do have the Cal! which i think are the only cans that are constantly saying to me : "hey, i'm pretty good huh?". So these make me want to think more if i should get them or not.
The cal sounds better, however when I EQ'ed the S680 on windows media player, it sounded a bit better than the cal, but that was only on wmp.

I think the S680 and the S400 have exceptionally good drivers. Hell, when EQ'ed properly, they even sound more realistic than the Philips Fidelio L2 which is 180 dollars

Mar 26, 2016 at 2:17 AM Post #988 of 1,066
I bought the 660's(purple) on amazon. Glad I didn't read the impressions before purchase. With the stock pads the sound was cloudy. Brainwavz hybrid pads really opened the sound up. Best results for me was amping with C&C BH2. SF switch on for more treble and soundstage. LF switch on for low/medium volume listening with some of the best punch I've experienced from a head phone. These pass the Bob Marley - Legend test so they're good enough for me.

Mar 26, 2016 at 5:15 AM Post #989 of 1,066
I bought the 660's(purple) on amazon. Glad I didn't read the impressions before purchase. With the stock pads the sound was cloudy. Brainwavz hybrid pads really opened the sound up. Best results for me was amping with C&C BH2. SF switch on for more treble and soundstage. LF switch on for low/medium volume listening with some of the best punch I've experienced from a head phone. These pass the Bob Marley - Legend test so they're good enough for me.
Ithink the strong point of those carbon nanotube drivers is the realism of the sound.

Jun 4, 2016 at 9:11 PM Post #990 of 1,066
The leather of my earpads is currently disintegrating...

Has someone ever tried to change the ear pads, and if so what model did you buy ? I've been trying to find some JVC replacement earpads but they don't seem to sell any...

Thanks !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back