The JVC HA-S680 - S400's and S500's big brother is here!
Dec 17, 2014 at 12:00 PM Post #856 of 1,066
  I just A/B'ed my HA-S680 and my modded JVC HA-S400. On treble shy songs, the S400 wins with clarity, but the JVC still sounds bigger and more detailed. But with treble heavy songs, the S680 sounds better.

But do you know any mods I can do to bring the highs on the S680 more forward?

highs are pretty well placed as it is, its just that the midbass bass is too much (s500 are not as bad). i do not know of any mods, my s680 are currently stock.
the s400 remain clear throughout, so they play better with a wider range of things. This is from memory as I currently only have the 680.

Dec 17, 2014 at 2:18 PM Post #857 of 1,066
  I just A/B'ed my HA-S680 and my modded JVC HA-S400. On treble shy songs, the S400 wins with clarity, but the JVC still sounds bigger and more detailed. But with treble heavy songs, the S680 sounds better.

But do you know any mods I can do to bring the highs on the S680 more forward?

There's not much room inside the earcups to mod them, but you could try filling them with cotton balls (or fiberglass works better). Due to their modular design there's very little room for messing up the drivers so modding them isn't very stressful if you're a beginner. I think I'll give my S680 more time on my head before I come to the complete conclusion that they're bad sounding, but their treble is problematic in that it is slow and unnatural sounding.

Dec 27, 2014 at 11:03 AM Post #860 of 1,066
I'm going to throw in a contrary opinion here.  I find the JVC HA-S680 to be terrible headphones.  They sound congested & boomy.  The boom is around 125-160Hz which is probably the last place you'd want a frequency boost.  They sounded terrible out of the box, and they still sounded terrible after 200+ hours of "break-in".  I've got some friends who are into headphones and hifi and they were put off by the sound too.  The only positive is that I didn't burn too much money on them.

Dec 27, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #861 of 1,066
So how do these compare to the Don Scorpio Dolphins people used to mention on here?

Dec 28, 2014 at 10:41 AM Post #863 of 1,066
  i havnt gotten the dolphins, though i almost did. Dolphins should have a lot less bass and overall a higher sound quality.

I've read that the bass is actually plentiful in the Dolphins. If these really have a lot more I'll have to try the Dolphins instead.

Jan 16, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #865 of 1,066
So i bought another pair in black and they dont really sound the same, ive done a 60 hour burn in and they sound better than they did but not the same as the red just that little bit less detail and more bass.  Im hoping that this will come with play time cant remember what my red sounded like after burn in but they have improved with play.

Jan 16, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #866 of 1,066
I finally got my red pair and have been burning them in. After about 30+ hrs sounding pretty darn good, if the bass tightens up a bit more i will be very pleased. Thanks for the recommendation. 

Jan 16, 2015 at 3:22 PM Post #867 of 1,066
I finally got my red pair and have been burning them in. After about 30+ hrs sounding pretty darn good, if the bass tightens up a bit more i will be very pleased. Thanks for the recommendation. 

Same ones I've got too, been loving them since I got them about a year ago now.

Jan 22, 2015 at 7:32 PM Post #868 of 1,066
You mean this one?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Victor-JVC-HA-S680-B-Black-color-Outdoor-type-Headphone-Carbon-Nanotube-F-S-/281216875091
They are just called black. I would love to have these in gunmetal.

It's quite confusing but I think there are 2 different versions of "black":

real black:
HA-S680R.jpg

gunmetal "black":

dscn5019.jpg

Don't say that these 2 are the same lol.

Yet I do find it strange that there seems to be no official photos of gunmetal version. Maybe they don't make these anymore, or was it some kind of limited edition?

Jan 23, 2015 at 11:14 AM Post #870 of 1,066
I never could find a direct 1v1 vs the s500's and the s680's PLEASE COMPARE THEM.

From what I know S680 is bassier and more comfy, but boomy at times, and it's slightly controversial HP (reports of one version sounding different to another, mixed opinions, etc...)
Personally I decided to play it safe and went for a S500s (ordered several days ago). I figured if I'll need more bass I will just EQ them, since carbon nanotubes are quite cable in the low end.

PS. This is what EQ settings I'am using paired with FiiO E6 for my XB500s:

CfZKIWX.png

I like bass, but I'am not hardcore basshead, I want to hear the details, not muddiness or overhelming bOoOM bleeding to the mids :D
The settings above work very well, but obviously XB500 is too big for portable use...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back