The JVC HA-S680 - S400's and S500's big brother is here!
May 4, 2014 at 2:11 AM Post #753 of 1,066
Do the CALs have to be broken for the ear pads to sound good?

I wonder if the ear pads from an intact set of CALs would also sound good? :D

I'm quiet sure they would :wink:

Sound gets less veiled and my ears now agree that the 680s are circumaural :D

I'm amazed how these JVCs have changed with use and burn-in. My pair has ~ 150 hours and I feel they are still improving. Out of the box they were horrid. I was very close to give up on them.

Signaturewise I still prefer the s500s but the 680s has an edge in comfort and size of soundstage.

May 7, 2014 at 8:49 PM Post #755 of 1,066
May 8, 2014 at 9:19 AM Post #758 of 1,066
  Quote:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/678798/hifimediy-sabre-usb-dac-uae23-and-audioquest-dragonfly-brief-comparison

According to them, though, it seems like it isn't powerful enough to drive headphones. Maybe carbon nanotubes are easier to drive?

It has plenty of power, almost drives HE-400 to a good level

May 9, 2014 at 4:53 PM Post #759 of 1,066
Hello to everyone, I'm new to head fi and this is my first post. 
Some time ago i bought the s500 because people here recommanded them. and i liked them, they where my first pair of good headphones.
But several munths later, I came across this thread, and I knew I have to get this (s680), so finally i did, and I couldn't be more happy.
The s680 are everything that was missing in my s500 and more...
Thank you BenF for this thread, you helped me a lot!

May 9, 2014 at 10:48 PM Post #760 of 1,066
  Hello to everyone, I'm new to head fi and this is my first post. 
Some time ago i bought the s500 because people here recommanded them. and i liked them, they where my first pair of good headphones.
But several munths later, I came across this thread, and I knew I have to get this (s680), so finally i did, and I couldn't be more happy.
The s680 are everything that was missing in my s500 and more...
Thank you BenF for this thread, you helped me a lot!

Glad you like them!
Please  post a review here, so more people can find S680: http://www.head-fi.org/products/jvc-ha-s680-over-ear-headphones

May 11, 2014 at 5:14 PM Post #762 of 1,066
I have the HiFiMeDIY Saber DAC and really like it. Don't hear a huge difference over my little cheap ELE DAC though. More of a difference when I compare it to the DAC chip (Wolfson) in my first gen iPod Nano (LOD out) even when playing higher rez files (96/24).

May 19, 2014 at 9:33 AM Post #763 of 1,066

Tenken - I would really be interested in hearing your comparison with the S500's - I also have modded S500's and have been thinking about getting the S680 too.

May 31, 2014 at 7:34 AM Post #764 of 1,066
Hi, I put my HA-S680 B for sale. I have them since a bit more than a month now and I find them too bass heavy for my taste. If interested you can PM me. 

May 31, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #765 of 1,066
I'm ABing two sets of S680's. The red has been burned in with the wave file for 90+ hours, and the black one has zero burn in.

On initial impression, I thought these headphones were VERY veiled, so I burned it in for 80 hours first. I thought the burn-in process actually did help. Especially for the second and third time I put it on. This was probably my brain burn-in in progress.

But as I started ABing them, the red actually isn't that much more unveiled than the black. The mids aren't brought that much more forward, but the impact of the mid-bass did seem to be tighter. But when I mean bit, I mean it's so hard to notice that it took me 3 times back and forth to make sure I wasn't just hearing things. The soundstage is very similar in distance, maybe a bit more separation for the red one, but nothing I would recognize as being an actual difference. The highs cleared up the most, giving it a more realistic presence.

All the same while, I tested with the S400 as well to make sure I wasn't just hearing things. And I can definitely hear the difference between the S680's and the S400. S680's, the vocals are more intimate, the bass extends deeper, and has tighter, more controlled impact. Treble placement alone makes it great.

Only mistake that I made was that I didn't wait for the second S680 to come first, so I could make sure they both sounded just as veiled before I AB'ed them. So it's POSSIBLE that the second set that I did not burn-in had great sound out-of-the-box. Looking at how many of you think they needed burn-in, though, and not sounding great from the box, I am leaning more towards that this burn-in is a bit of a placebo.

Even though I say all this, I am not hating on these headphones. These are clearly a level above the S400's. Even the comfort alone is worth the extra in price, but the increased soundstage, separation, and clarity make it a great bang for the buck. But be aware that for most of you, that the burn-in process is possibly a placebo effect making them sound better than they might be. If that is what works for you, though, then more power to you!

Equipment used: DAC Destroyer, Open Your Ears, Gladkill - Stargazing, 1 Burned-in JVC HA-S680, 1 Unburned JVC HA-S680, 1 JVC HA-S400 for control.

If anyone else has done the same, I would like to know how you think! I'll be burning in the second set right now to see if it's just the red ones that aren't receptive of the burn-in process.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back