The JVC HA-S680 - S400's and S500's big brother is here!
Apr 21, 2014 at 8:46 PM Post #737 of 1,066

My HA-S680s arrived less then an hour ago and my Gemini HSR-1000s are 15 minutes away at my grandfathers house.
My grandfather is turning 105 this year :)
So hopefully I will be able to compare the HSR-1000 & HA-S680 headphones later today.

Any thoughts on the two? And yea, it'd be nice if you can tell us what your grandfather also thinks of these!

Apr 26, 2014 at 10:47 AM Post #738 of 1,066
BenF, thanks to your good work on here, I got myself a pair of these, and they just arrived today!

Just as you suggested, I am going to follow the burn-in procedure which you suggested. I have one concern though. You mentioned a 48hr burn in period. Would there be a difference if I burn in intermittently? Like 1-2 hours each time for a total of 48 hours? Or do the drivers need continuous pounding for at least 5-6 hours at a go? I'm asking this because I'm moving around a lot lately so it would be quite inconvenient to just leave these babies connected to my laptop while I'm away.

Apr 26, 2014 at 1:24 PM Post #739 of 1,066
  BenF, thanks to your good work on here, I got myself a pair of these, and they just arrived today!

Just as you suggested, I am going to follow the burn-in procedure which you suggested. I have one concern though. You mentioned a 48hr burn in period. Would there be a difference if I burn in intermittently? Like 1-2 hours each time for a total of 48 hours? Or do the drivers need continuous pounding for at least 5-6 hours at a go? I'm asking this because I'm moving around a lot lately so it would be quite inconvenient to just leave these babies connected to my laptop while I'm away.

The more continuous burn-in will be, the better.
I just leave them connected to an MP3 player 24/7.

Apr 26, 2014 at 6:54 PM Post #740 of 1,066

Just my two cents. Mine took a REALLY long time to sound good. Quite a bit longer than 48hrs in my case.

So if they don't sound good after 48hrs, keep going.

It may or may not take a long time, but you'll know you're there when you hear it.

Apr 27, 2014 at 12:47 PM Post #741 of 1,066
I would say that in order to get excellent sound of them, at least 150 hours of constant pounding is required and then weeks to get your brain accustomed to the sound signature.

This music sounds superb with these headphones. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDAAA9Ri68c&feature=share

Apr 28, 2014 at 2:43 AM Post #742 of 1,066
What ear pad options are there for the HA-S680s?
Pads that are a little bigger, maybe a little firmer and with a Velour covering would be perfect.

Apr 28, 2014 at 4:17 AM Post #743 of 1,066

Pads that are a little bigger, maybe a little firmer and with a Velour covering would be perfect.

Same question. I just received them today and they are around ears for me, so I must have quiet small ears (I didn't know), but I would not be against a bit more room...

Apr 28, 2014 at 6:36 AM Post #744 of 1,066

The HM5 pads look really good on these, but change sound too much.
The original pads give the best SQ.

Apr 28, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #745 of 1,066
Hi,

I was in a shop today to see the HM5 pads and compare them to the S680's. They look way bigger. Are you sure they fit? Is there a mod to do. I thought I saw someone post about this on this threat but can't find the post (went fast thru all 50 pages... 3 time, probably time to get glasses :).

If this is indeed possible, does someone know how to get the XPT100 angled pads?

Apr 28, 2014 at 1:37 PM Post #746 of 1,066
  Hi,

I was in a shop today to see the HM5 pads and compare them to the S680's. They look way bigger. Are you sure they fit? Is there a mod to do. I thought I saw someone post about this on this threat but can't find the post (went fast thru all 50 pages... 3 time, probably time to get glasses :).

If this is indeed possible, does someone know how to get the XPT100 angled pads?

HM5 pads fit perfectly, no mod required -  but SQ changes too much.

Apr 28, 2014 at 6:29 PM Post #747 of 1,066
When you say the SQ changes too much, can you give me more details please? I got them today and love them to the bit. But coming from the XB500 and the Renkforce CD-340 with Shure 940 pads, comfort is quiet a drop :frowning2: which is really spoiling my experience (not to say my relationship) with them.

Apr 28, 2014 at 6:45 PM Post #748 of 1,066

The HM5 pads look really good on these, but change sound too much.
The original pads give the best SQ.

Thanks for the tip,
but I own the HM5s and do not like the pads that come on them.

Apr 28, 2014 at 6:56 PM Post #749 of 1,066
  When you say the SQ changes too much, can you give me more details please? I got them today and love them to the bit. But coming from the XB500 and the Renkforce CD-340 with Shure 940 pads, comfort is quiet a drop :frowning2: which is really spoiling my experience (not to say my relationship) with them.

Soundstage improves, but bass becomes boomy and the vocals become less natural.
I guess if you don't listen much to vocals-heavy music, the trade-off may be acceptable.

Apr 29, 2014 at 3:25 AM Post #750 of 1,066
Soundstage improves, but bass becomes boomy and the vocals become less natural.
I guess if you don't listen much to vocals-heavy music, the trade-off may be acceptable.

Hmm, unfortunatly I do. However, filling the "bass holes" might actually put everything back in place.

If someone has the S680 and HM5/FA003/XPT100 pads, please try and comment!

Thx for help, highly appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back