The JVC HA-S680 - S400's and S500's big brother is here!
Feb 8, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #471 of 1,066
I was just playing with these last Sunday before I bought other JVC's.
If I knew they were such a pain to get I woulda grabbed some and shipped some off to ya'll
atsmile.gif

Feb 8, 2014 at 11:40 PM Post #472 of 1,066
  Thanks!!!
So according to you is better than the 500??

Dude, just get 'em already and judge for yourself. If you don't like 'em you'll have no problem selling 'em to someone here. Them being Japanese-exclusive is enough to make them highly collectable and easy to re-sell. Heck, even if they were universally acknowledged as sounding like crap people would still buy 'em simply for being Japanese-exclusive.

Feb 14, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #474 of 1,066
Do these ever open up? I am at around 48 hours on them and they still sound closed off and incredibly dark. I've heard veiled headphones before, and these wouldn't even qualify as veiled. These are closed off from the midrange on up.

I received a pair of $9 philips IEM's on the same day I got my S680 in, and so far I actually prefer the $9 IEM.

Feb 14, 2014 at 7:14 PM Post #475 of 1,066
  Do these ever open up? I am at around 48 hours on them and they still sound closed off and incredibly dark. I've heard veiled headphones before, and these wouldn't even qualify as veiled. These are closed off from the midrange on up.

I received a pair of $9 philips IEM's on the same day I got my S680 in, and so far I actually prefer the $9 IEM.

Did you follow the proper burnin procedure in the first post?

Feb 15, 2014 at 4:45 AM Post #479 of 1,066

Mine stayed dark even after burn-in. Some people seem to be fine with that darkness, but it annoys me as it sounds unrealistic and constantly reminds me that I'm wearing 'phones. I never could get used to the darkness so I decided to EQ them. Fortunately, I can enjoy them EQd but my other portable 'phone in the same price range as the 680, the Creative Aurvana Live!, sounds less dark and more refined than the 680. The 680 are a step up from my Koss Portapros, at least, so they are getting used by me (I used to pair my Portapros with my Clip+ but now I pair the 680 with it). But if it were impossible to EQ them, I'd honestly rather listen to Portapros since I just can't concentrate on music when it sounds so darn dark.

I'm curious: what colour did you choose? I got the white. I'm thinking there's a slight chance the white ones are more dark than the others due to a manufacturing error or something. I doubt it, but you never know . . .

Feb 15, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #480 of 1,066

I'm just using my PC>Receiver>Headphones. That's what I use for burning in headphones. I never turn it off and it doesn't require batteries, so why not use it.

S680 is a little bit dark, but it has a big soundstage compared to other closed phones, thanks to the "dynamic ports".
They do sound their best through any Sabre-based DAC, using PC's sound card as a DAC may not provide enough resolution for S680 to shine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back