The JVC HA-S680 - S400's and S500's big brother is here!
Mar 16, 2015 at 5:23 PM Post #935 of 1,066
Mar 16, 2015 at 5:25 PM Post #936 of 1,066
Definitely S400
wink.gif

I believe you mean similiar/worse.

No, to me they're definitely clearer.

Mar 16, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #937 of 1,066
My modded JVC HA-S400 actually sound clearer than the S680. BUT, that's only if you get them on the perfect sweet spot on your ears (and that's VERY hard to do). Otherwise they're inferior to the S680.

BUT, the HA-S400 comfort is just awful. So I wouldn't recommend that headphone if you plan on using them like an hour straight or so. Hell, even after 20 minutes they get really uncomfortable for me.

The S680 is a lot more comfortable. And if you EQ them, you can get a sound that's better than the modded HA-S400, but still not as clear as the CAL!

Mar 17, 2015 at 7:52 AM Post #938 of 1,066
My modded JVC HA-S400 actually sound clearer than the S680. BUT, that's only if you get them on the perfect sweet spot on your ears (and that's VERY hard to do). Otherwise they're inferior to the S680.

Dunno how S400 compares to S680, but I believe you are trying to wear your S400 like over-ear headphones which is WRONG. It will sound brighter, but the low end will completely disappear. If they are like S400 pads wise, then yeah they are quite uncomfortable at first, but when I got used to my S500, it now takes 2+ hours for my ears to start feeling uncomfortable, so it's definitely acceptable.

Mar 19, 2015 at 2:48 AM Post #939 of 1,066
  Hi,

I need a low-cost headphone and S680 is not available in Italy. I can choose between S400 at €20 and S660 at €25. Opinions? Alternatives?

Thank you.

Did you look into the Brainwavz HM3 aka Incipio f38? Heard they were pretty good for budget closed cans.

I couldn't recommend the S680 for most other than bassheads. The sound un-eq'ed reminds me of a movie theater, a HUGE amount of boomy bass and soundstage to go with it, though with the highs still present. The mids are a bit recessed. 

EQ'd, unless you want them to sound shrill, they are still going to sound dark but are great bassy headphones for the price. These are worst at things like modern rock and shine at things like film music. I don't listen to EDM, these are probably excellent for that too. 

Mar 19, 2015 at 6:23 AM Post #940 of 1,066
Did you look into the Brainwavz HM3 aka Incipio f38? Heard they were pretty good for budget closed cans.

I couldn't recommend the S680 for most other than bassheads. The sound un-eq'ed reminds me of a movie theater, a HUGE amount of boomy bass and soundstage to go with it, though with the highs still present. The mids are a bit recessed. 

EQ'd, unless you want them to sound shrill, they are still going to sound dark but are great bassy headphones for the price. These are worst at things like modern rock and shine at things like film music. I don't listen to EDM, these are probably excellent for that too. 

I get your point but I absolutely don't get why people tend to think that mids aren't important for EDM. I'am not talking specifically about S680 now, but I listen to EDM a lot, and believe me, with proper mids it sounds more engaging and so much better. In many tracks there are vocals as well.

Apr 20, 2015 at 2:08 AM Post #941 of 1,066
This is my first post in the Head-fi, though I was visiting this forum frequently for last two years. I thought on giving my opinion on this headphone. This is my first headphone. Previously own IEMs are Shure E2g->Sony Ericsson MH1->Zero Audio Carbo Tenore->TTPod T1E->KZ EDSE/ED8/GR. I am final year college undergraduate, so money wasn't the easiest to earn. I wanted a headphone for studies as iems that I own were less practical for prolong use(Tenore was comfy, but it developed channel imbalance after three months or so).

So I was searching for headphone under $50 with shipping(to Sri Lanka where I live). My requirements were comfort, above average isolation, durability, relatively flat response. In addition I was interested in listening to soundstages and out of head experience. I first considered about Superlux headphones, but I couldn't find any closed back one within my budget. Next thought about Somic headphones, but I couldn't find enough reviews to convince myself to buy. Because whatever that I am gonna buy, I have to use for a year till I passed out. In addition, I couldn't find any local stores to try it before hand. Then thought of buying Takstar Pro 80, still it is impossible to find below $50.

Then I came across the S400 thread. It seems to have extremely nice price and reviews. But comfort know to be an issue. Solution was to buy Ws55 earpads($34 in ebay), but they are extremely expensive, so total exceed my budget. Then I thought of S500, again comfort is an issue. Again solution would cost($23 HM5 earpads). In the end I pulled the plug with S680, despite recent negative opinions, trusting huge number of positive impressions filled with the thread.

Out of the box, as so many other peoples, I was extremely disappointed. I thought this Carbon Nanotube hype is indeed a hoax. Bass veiled rest of the spectrum(My reference is ZH Carbo Tenore). I tried the eq settings provided few post above. It cleared up a little bit. But still no where near clear, as I expected. So I was disappointed, as the last straw I decided to follow OP's instructions. So I let it burnin for 48 hours straight with given track.

Well, well, now it is as clear as I imagine it gonna sound. It reminds me more of my tenore(one earpiece is dead ATM). Nice sparkle treble. Vocals are really nice(Not in tenore level). Surpising thing is now I feel like it lacks little bit of bass(oppose to overwhelm in OOTB). Soundstages were marvelous. Comfort is good, not great as it began to hurt the ears after around 5 to 6 hour straight used. That's because my ears were little bit larger, hence they are partly on ear for me.

The main reason I wrote this is because, vocal in some songs were lacks something, while other vocals shines even better than tenore. My guess is that certain frequencies in the mids were recessed. Increasing around 2dB in 900Hz (My eq has only 60,260,900,4k,10k bands) improves, but it makes vocal little bit artificial.

So can anyone help me to find the adjust to remove artificial feeling from the audio?
(My source is Moto G with Fauxsound modification)

Apr 20, 2015 at 2:58 PM Post #942 of 1,066
So after seeing a lot of post advocating the CAL i decided to try a pair.  They are very very good i think more detailed and a bigger soundstage than the 680 but dosent have the punch in the bass.  I can see what people say about the bass being a little boomy but i am missing it not sure which will be my normal everyday pair, possiblt adding the Audio Technica ATH M50X into the mix but having lisnted for a few hours with CAL, 680 will be difficult to go back too.

Apr 20, 2015 at 3:03 PM Post #943 of 1,066
  So after seeing a lot of post advocating the CAL i decided to try a pair.  They are very very good i think more detailed and a bigger soundstage than the 680 but dosent have the punch in the bass.  I can see what people say about the bass being a little boomy but i am missing it not sure which will be my normal everyday pair, possiblt adding the Audio Technica ATH M50X into the mix but having lisnted for a few hours with CAL, 680 will be difficult to go back too.

The CAL will smooth out in the highs after burn in, they will not reduce in quantity, but instead improve in quality.

But yeah, the CAL is awesome, and I think they're a lot better than the S680 when both run unEQ'ed

Apr 20, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #944 of 1,066
I'm looking for headphones that are somewhat similar to the S500, but a bit less shrill/treble-peaky, with better mids and better comfort. I like the lower frequencies of it (could be even a bit more sub bass for me). I had the S680, but they were too dark and boomy for me on the other hand. The CAL! were not refined enough in the bass IMO. And the Tenores were too bass-light for me, maybe because i couldn't really get a good fit with any tips.

The Piston 2.0 had the best bass in any headphones i heard, and okay (not great) mid-highs, no annoying peaks. Unfortunately mine broke, so i'm looking for a replacement. Anyone has a suggestion based on this? :)

Apr 20, 2015 at 5:51 PM Post #945 of 1,066
I'm looking for headphones that are somewhat similar to the S500, but a bit less shrill/treble-peaky, with better mids and better comfort. I like the lower frequencies of it (could be even a bit more sub bass for me). I had the S680, but they were too dark and boomy for me on the other hand. The CAL! were not refined enough in the bass IMO. And the Tenores were too bass-light for me, maybe because i couldn't really get a good fit with any tips.

The Piston 2.0 had the best bass in any headphones i heard, and okay (not great) mid-highs, no annoying peaks. Unfortunately mine broke, so i'm looking for a replacement. Anyone has a suggestion based on this?
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't know if it's in your price range, but the Focal Spirit Professional is a great sounding headphone, only the comfort can be a hit or mis..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back