The JVC HA-S680 - S400's and S500's big brother is here!
Jan 2, 2014 at 9:04 AM Post #211 of 1,066
so i completed the 48 hour burn in and then left them for another 12 overnight and just gave a quick listen and really like them, the sounds are clear and perhaps a little too clear can hear like a rasping echo on strings and sometime an echo on some vocals this maybe just me not being used too them and like ben said letting my brain burn in. only thing i need now is a case.

Overall extremely pleased, makes me wonder if these are that good what would a 1, 2 or 3 hundred pound set be like.

This post alone should make anyone consider clicking the Buy button.

Jan 2, 2014 at 5:26 PM Post #214 of 1,066
I'm gonna pull the trigger on these tomorrow.

Just one question: has anyone here bought these from Kakaku and received them? I ask because they seem to be cheaper there than anywhere else. Did the person who got stung with charges buy them from there?

Jan 2, 2014 at 8:17 PM Post #215 of 1,066

Just one question: has anyone here bought these from Kakaku and received them? I ask because they seem to be cheaper there than anywhere else. Did the person who got stung with charges buy them from there?

Yep both me and michaelgordon ordered from them and both received fine, mine came within a week from dispatch.

I got stung with customs charge and he didin't, so I guess it's the luck of the draw.

Jan 3, 2014 at 12:25 AM Post #216 of 1,066

Yep both me and michaelgordon ordered from them and both received fine, mine came within a week from dispatch.

I got stung with customs charge and he didin't, so I guess it's the luck of the draw.

Thanks. I guess I'll take a chance with Kakaku.

It looks like the HA-S680 cost only about $40 USD in Japan! With shipping and taxes the price goes up to about $70.

Jan 3, 2014 at 12:43 AM Post #217 of 1,066

It looks like the HA-S680 cost only about $40 USD in Japan! With shipping and taxes the price goes up to about $70.

That sounds about right. They are pretty much same price as the S500 at launch, but they clearly are a direct upgrade.

Btw when I said a week I meant from the time that SmartBuyJapan sends them out. It takes 2-3 working days for them to arrive from Kakaku though.

Jan 3, 2014 at 1:00 AM Post #218 of 1,066

I think I bought in Japan S500 at about 2900 yen and S680 was 4640 yen (but I didn't know then the model, so I bought Beyerdynamics DTX501p instead :)).

So clearly it is upgrade. With transportation costs and taxes, I guess it will lean towards 60-70 dollars. 

Jan 3, 2014 at 4:52 AM Post #219 of 1,066
i just had an extended listening session tonight with the 680's. I have about 50-60 of high volume burn in and 20 hrs of listening. Yes, the boominess is gone. I knew it would go away after owning several JVC nano's. To those that are worried about the bass don't be. These are lush, warm and enveloping. Much better than my S400. I would certainly say in a different league. The only ones that wont like these are the guys and gals that like crisp detailed highs. These are definitely on the warm side. The 3D sound, wide sound stage and warmth is very nice.

These are a keeper.

Jan 3, 2014 at 6:33 AM Post #220 of 1,066
  i just had an extended listening session tonight with the 680's. I have about 50-60 of high volume burn in and 20 hrs of listening. Yes, the boominess is gone. I knew it would go away after owning several JVC nano's. To those that are worried about the bass don't be. These are lush, warm and enveloping. Much better than my S400. I would certainly say in a different league. The only ones that wont like these are the guys and gals that like crisp detailed highs. These are definitely on the warm side. The 3D sound, wide sound stage and warmth is very nice.

These are a keeper.

Definitely a keeper!

I've burned in mine for about 15 hours, the rest has been spent listening. So about 30 hours in total they've been on the go now, the sound is beginning to open up... but the mids are still veiled and bass bit boomy. Will keep you updated!

Jan 3, 2014 at 7:51 AM Post #222 of 1,066

Definitely a keeper!

I've burned in mine for about 15 hours, the rest has been spent listening. So about 30 hours in total they've been on the go now, the sound is beginning to open up... but the mids are still veiled and bass bit boomy. Will keep you updated!

If you'll keep interrupting the burn-in with long listening sessions, it will take a lot longer to flex the driver. Listening to music at non-deafening levels won't do much.

Jan 3, 2014 at 7:54 AM Post #223 of 1,066
  Is the sound signature of these 'phones similar to that of any other 'phone you guys have heard? Or are these rather unique-sounding and incomparable?

It is a combination of HA-S400's balance and HA-S500's fun plus much wider soundstage.
Also reminds HE-400 a litlle bit, but without the spike in treble.

Jan 3, 2014 at 8:19 AM Post #224 of 1,066

If you'll keep interrupting the burn-in with long listening sessions, it will take a lot longer to flex the driver. Listening to music at non-deafening levels won't do much.

I know that dude.

Cant just sit by and not have these on my head.

EDIT: Btw, I love playing Battlefield 4 with these on, I use the surround sound setting in the options and its really engaging with the S680!

Jan 3, 2014 at 9:29 AM Post #225 of 1,066
I had (gave it to brother) HA-S400, but they had several drawbacks - too narrow scene (or maybe not enough clear sound, can't tell even when listening to it right now) and uncomfortable, even with Sennheiser velour pads. Sound was ok, I enjoyed it, but it was nothing special.
After I gave it to brother I bought Audio Technica ATH-SJ55, which are in my opinion superior to JVC as they don't have these irritating drawbacks. SQ is fine, better than S400, but there is something like echo when bass is missing (I listen to electronic dance music, so it's not huge problem).

Now, is it worth to jump over to S680 from ATH-SJ55? My player is Cowon J3, I hate too much bass (when it so strong that sound is becoming "muddy", otherwise I can use EQ), but I enjoy if bass punches when it's supposed to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back