The JVC HA-S680 - S400's and S500's big brother is here!
Dec 22, 2013 at 1:56 PM Post #152 of 1,066
what is the issue you are experiencing with these, i only really listen to metal and some rock and will be pairing with a cowon j3  but no amp yet as ive read it dosent need one to drive most headphones.  i only came accoss these having seen a couple of recommendations for use with hard rock metal.  i was originally goingto get akg k451 but opted for these instead

Dec 22, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #153 of 1,066
Maybe compare to the HiFiMan and the AT 900X? (Thank you so much btw)
From that pic they sorta look big enough to encompass my ears, if you've seen the Sony MDR1s, those are a perfect fit. It seems you must be really impressed by the sound of the S680, you have it ranked second out of your headphones!
It's pretty inexpensive too, 80 bucks from Amazon is tempting, is the fact that the cable splits and goes to both cups an issue at your desk? How is it for gaming, and do you have it paired with a soundcard for virtual surround?

Dec 22, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #154 of 1,066
I'd say the biggest culprit I have is Metallica's Kill 'Em All.

Please take my minor complaint with a grain of salt. Like I said, my favorite IEM's are my Phonak 132's which are described by most as a touch lean. You may all be enthralled with the bass on these. And like I said, after 50 hours of burn in and probably equal to that of listening time, it is only slightly too boomy for my takes. That being said, they have been on my head more in the last couple of days than anything else I own.

And yes, the cups are big enough that they fit around my ears.

Dec 22, 2013 at 5:13 PM Post #155 of 1,066
thanks for that, i like bass not too much but i want t know its there.  i like individual instruments & vocals to sound clean and clear and find too much bass can impact this.  Sounds (pun intended) like these really do need a good burn in to get the bst out of them but its very reassuring that people are rating them so well and using them above other headphones they have.  

mine now in customs so a pre christmas delivery i think is out of the question which is a pity would have used those days to burn in

Dec 22, 2013 at 5:36 PM Post #156 of 1,066
thanks for that, i like bass not too much but i want t know its there.  i like individual instruments & vocals to sound clean and clear and find too much bass can impact this.  Sounds (pun intended) like these really do need a good burn in to get the bst out of them but its very reassuring that people are rating them so well and using them above other headphones they have.  

mine now in customs so a pre christmas delivery i think is out of the question which is a pity would have used those days to burn in

Congrats on them arriving in UK.

I'm still waiting on the dammed Parcelforce import charges letter, they really take the piss with it. Surely they could have sent it first class do I had received it on friday but no they take their freaking time.

Hoping it comes tomorrow so I can pay it and arrange delivery for Tuesday if possible, knowing my luck though it would have to be later in the week.

I'd say the biggest culprit I have is Metallica's Kill 'Em All.

Please take my minor complaint with a grain of salt. Like I said, my favorite IEM's are my Phonak 132's which are described by most as a touch lean. You may all be enthralled with the bass on these. And like I said, after 50 hours of burn in and probably equal to that of listening time, it is only slightly too boomy for my takes. That being said, they have been on my head more in the last couple of days than anything else I own.

And yes, the cups are big enough that they fit around my ears.

That's how they get ya :wink:

Dec 22, 2013 at 8:01 PM Post #157 of 1,066
  Maybe compare to the HiFiMan and the AT 900X? (Thank you so much btw)
From that pic they sorta look big enough to encompass my ears, if you've seen the Sony MDR1s, those are a perfect fit. It seems you must be really impressed by the sound of the S680, you have it ranked second out of your headphones!
It's pretty inexpensive too, 80 bucks from Amazon is tempting, is the fact that the cable splits and goes to both cups an issue at your desk? How is it for gaming, and do you have it paired with a soundcard for virtual surround?

AD900X vs S680:

HE400 vs S680:

I think for most people they will be on ear.

The cable is not a problem for me, don't notice it.
I don't game, and don't have any virtual surround equipment.

Dec 23, 2013 at 4:58 AM Post #159 of 1,066
i dont understand why they have to send a letter anyway why not just deliver and advise then of a charge

Yeah it's stupid, they could just as easily call... text or send an email.

Dec 23, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #161 of 1,066
Where would you advise a Canadian buy these 'phones from to avoid those ******** customs fees?

You shouldn't get stung in Canada.

I'd still suggest buying from an eBay seller and requesting either DHL or FedEx. Say no to EMS!

Dec 23, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #162 of 1,066

Where would you advise a Canadian buy these 'phones from to avoid those ******** customs fees?

You shouldn't get stung in Canada.

I'd still suggest buying from an eBay seller and requesting either DHL or FedEx. Say no to EMS!

DHL or Fedex are usually extra cost. Just ask the seller to do SAL instead of EMS.

Dec 23, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #163 of 1,066
DHL or Fedex are usually extra cost. Just ask the seller to do SAL instead of EMS.

Yes, but it's mostly worth it since you'd be paying more for customs charging.

Parcelforce letter still not here Btw, I'm fuming. Sent them a well pissed off email earlier, basically saying their service is dreadful and that I'll never use them again lol

Dec 26, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #165 of 1,066
I got these on Christmas Eve, waaaay earlier than I expected! They sound great, even non-broken in. I really like my S500's, and I think these sound much better. I must have semi-small ears, for me these are over-ears.

They don't "feel" as rugged as the UE6000, mainly because they weigh like 1/10 as much as the UE (those are heavy lol). But they seem to be pretty well made. Definitely worth the $70 to me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back