The JP11801 "Flowers in your hair" party
Jul 28, 2007 at 9:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

NightWoundsTime

A nice hunk of young man
Well we here in Florida are holding a sad event this day. Our good friend JP11801, AKA Johnny Numbers, Num-nuts, or New Guy, is moving to the far side of the world, aka San Francisco. We raided his house today and in the interest of keeping it Head-fi related we're listening to some gear. The South Florida contingent showed up with some goodies like an Eddie Current HD2, Woo 5, Singlepower Extreme, and some fine sources. Much time has been spent on the Slim Devices mega source, and comparations to the Wadia and modded Denon that are also present. Not that I've done any listening. I took a nap and then woke up fresh and ready to hassle the crap out of my good friends here. John will be thoroughly roasted by the time the evening is out, and we promise to adorn him with some flowers in his non-existent hair.

Jul 28, 2007 at 9:27 PM Post #2 of 29
A sad day made even sadder by the absence of stevieo.
icon10.gif

The day started out with some fried ipswich clams and Guinness. Once we were nice and relaxed it was off to jp's place to start the meet. We had some trouble doing some critical listening with Matt's snoring in the background but he woke up and we've been doing an Exemplar Denon/Transporter comparison through the Extreme and WA5 using R10's. The better we were able to volume match between the two sources the better the Transporter got. It's output is significantly less than the Exemplar so it took some time to volume match.

More impressions later.

Here are some pics:

CaliforniaLastDay07038.jpg

CaliforniaLastDay07039.jpg

CaliforniaLastDay07040.jpg

CaliforniaLastDay07041.jpg

CaliforniaLastDay07041-1.jpg

CaliforniaLastDay07042.jpg

CaliforniaLastDay07043.jpg

CaliforniaLastDay07044.jpg

CaliforniaLastDay07050.jpg

CaliforniaLastDay07051.jpg

CaliforniaLastDay07052.jpg

CaliforniaLastDay07054.jpg

Jul 28, 2007 at 9:51 PM Post #3 of 29
I wish I could have been there, but by the time I heard I had already made commitments. John, hope the best for you in your new territory.Going from hurricanes to earthquakes does not seem like a good choice but ...

Awesome gear as always.

Jul 28, 2007 at 10:05 PM Post #4 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wish I could have been there, but by the time I heard I had already made commitments. John, hope the best for you in your new territory.Going from hurricanes to earthquakes does not seem like a good choice but ...

Awesome gear as always.

I was waiting for your call at 3:30.

Jul 29, 2007 at 5:56 AM Post #8 of 29
JP Michael wants to know when you are officially out here... in fact I do too. Btw what city will you be living in?

Jul 29, 2007 at 1:29 PM Post #10 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icarium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
JP Michael wants to know when you are officially out here... in fact I do too. Btw what city will you be living in?

the weekend of august 10th and I'll be in San Leandro

Jul 29, 2007 at 1:39 PM Post #11 of 29
Wow what a great time, thanks to Gene and Matt for driving over from Tampa to send me off Florida style
icon10.gif
Mike and Vickie thanks for coming over you all will be sorely missed by me.

On to the gear!! New to me at the meet was the Woo Audio 300b swiss army knifes of amps. Folks this is a seriously good amp, great k1000 sound and it also sounded great through my speakers. It has a slightly rounded tone to it that served the k1000s well. I easily controled the bottom end of the ps1s and sounded great with speakers as well. It was being handicapped by the stock tubes Woo puts in them, chineese 300bs of so so quality and sovtek 6sn7s. If you have a speaker rig and k1000s this shold be on your list to get a listen to.

I was able to get another listen to the Grado GS1000s and I have to say these are really amp dependent. The last time I heard them they were slightly sibilant and could get harsh up top. Not today they sounded great with nice control and a smooth top end. The mids were still somewhat recessed but not at all how I recalled they sounded.
I should never have listened to the leatherheads as now I want a pair again. They are great with rock, jazz and blues and soooo comfortable to wear. Enough for now I'm off to do some more tranporter listening. What a cool device and nice sounding as well.

Jul 29, 2007 at 1:50 PM Post #12 of 29
The Transporter really held it's own yesterday with the Denon and Wadia, both players I like. I hope to have one home in a couple of weeks to compare to the DV-50. I've been told by someone with good ears that they don't compare but when I hear how close to the Exemplar and 302 it came I have to see for myself. Having all that music at your control from a device that is well above an entry level source is to good to not try.

Vicki's Extreme really sounds nice with the R10s. I can understand why she loves this combination. I didn't try the L3000, just never got to them. After wearing the R10s last night for a few hours, I'm not sure I like the idea of a closed headphone.

As good as the R10s are I think I still prefer the K1000. I'm not saying that the K1000 are technically superior, just that for me, they are all around a more enjoyable experience. I don't know I would pass up the R10 for the right price but I would go searching them out either.

The WA5 is exactly what I was looking for in an amp. It takes care of all my listening needs in a single device. I don't see where either the K1000, headphone out or speaker section have been sacrificed. Everything I heard through it sounds great.

Jul 29, 2007 at 2:17 PM Post #13 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great looking speaker rig!
biggrin.gif

yeah, i wouldn't mind hearing thoughts on the Omegas
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 29, 2007 at 2:51 PM Post #14 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by proglife /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah, i wouldn't mind hearing thoughts on the Omegas
smily_headphones1.gif

The Omegas are great speakers. I have a pair like jp's. They sound great with the WA5, F1, Sig 30 and Clari-T. They dip below 40 hz so there is no shortage on the low end. The mids are exellent and the highs are well anything but grainy or etched. Very well controlled. I've heard the MaxHemps, SuperHemps and Super 3 XRS and each are great choices depending on the size of your room and budget. I heard the Super 3 XRS at the Stereophile Show and at $950 are truly a bargain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back