The Jeans-fi thread
Jan 3, 2012 at 3:00 PM Post #632 of 682
Sort of. I got some Hugo Boss chelsea boots and wanted some black jeans to go with them, but they'd go with more casual footwear. The cut is fairly slim though so they err towards formal I guess.

Jan 4, 2012 at 8:57 AM Post #633 of 682
Boots go well with jeans.  I wear Nike Shox with mine.  
biggrin.gif

Jan 6, 2012 at 5:49 AM Post #634 of 682
I used to collect shoes so I have pair of jordans to match almost anything but for jeans I'd say I used to wear Seven until everyone started getting them then I went to rock and republic..

Jan 6, 2012 at 7:56 PM Post #635 of 682
Quote:
I used to collect shoes so I have pair of jordans to match almost anything but for jeans I'd say I used to wear Seven until everyone started getting them then I went to rock and republic..

Do you still have hi-top Jordan's? This should be in the Sneaker-Fi thread.

Jan 21, 2012 at 1:05 PM Post #638 of 682

Quote:
I'm tempted to get a thinner Samurai because of the current hot weather. 

The S5000VX is the only other model from Samurai that I think I'd get; it's still 17 oz. I'm dying to get a pair of Warehouse 660's from BiG for the spring/summer. Wanted to get some Momo's too, but they're still a fair weight at ~16 oz.

Jan 23, 2012 at 8:03 AM Post #639 of 682
Samurai S5000VX is a good choice.  I like mine.  Samurai 15oz Texas Cotton is probably my next purchase.  Pure Blue Japan has lighter jeans if Momotaros are too heavy.  

Jan 25, 2012 at 8:15 PM Post #640 of 682
So I stumbled upon this thread and have a born-again noob question regarding STF 501 jeans.  I say born-again because 501s were the only jeans I used to wear when I was a little tyke, teenager, and youngster.  I don't know when I stopped wearing them, but it's been decades.  I have been wearing Levi 569 Loose Straight jeans for a long time because of my massive quads and short stature, and because I never felt comfortable in the slim/skinny jeans.

Anyway, this thread makes me want to wear 501s again.  I read the thread and other online resources about raw denim, and I'm still unclear about whether or not you are supposed to soak/shrink the jeans before wearing them.  Some sources say that you should buy true to size so that you can wear them for a LONG time before washing them for purposes of fading, creasing, etc.  But, if one follows that scheme, won't they shrink too much even after months of wearing if you begin with your true size?  Or are you supposed to wash them in such a way as to minimize shrinking?  Then I read other sources that say you should buy way oversized and soak/shrink in hot water before wearing so that they get smaller before you begin the fading process.  I understand this - subsequent washes will not cause over shrinking.

Another wrinkle is that I understand that the raw denim itself will stretch out somewhat just during normal wear and tear.  So, does this inherent stretching compensate for the shrinking caused by washing?  Jeez, how complex can this be.

So for all of you raw denim experts, what is the preferred approach?  I guess that 501s are relatively inexpensive so that I can experiment, but still . . .

PS - I can see why some of the Japanese jeans are popular, but still find it odd that they are so expensive and yet the goal is to wear them out and beat them up.  I also find it odd/ironic that "Made in Japan" is preferred in this arena.  That label used to be derogatory.

Jan 25, 2012 at 10:36 PM Post #641 of 682
I buy "one wash" whenever possible so I know they will fit nicely.  For raw denim, I wash mine before wearing.  Some brands stretch more than others.  My jeans are usually one size bigger so there is little or no stretching in the waist.  I put my shirt in hence the one size up.  They are expensive but they will last if you look after them.  The Levi's I bought a few years ago are still as good as new.  I don't beat them up.  

There is nothing wrong with jeans that are made in Japan.  
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 26, 2012 at 7:40 PM Post #642 of 682
 I bought STF 501s by matching the label size with my measured waist size. The fit is a bit loose now after soaking and regular wear; they measure 1 inch wider than the tag says. I'd go down a size or two next time I bought a pair. 

Jan 26, 2012 at 9:09 PM Post #643 of 682

Quote:
 I bought STF 501s by matching the label size with my measured waist size. The fit is a bit loose now after soaking and regular wear; they measure 1 inch wider than the tag says. I'd go down a size or two next time I bought a pair. 

I might buy one pair true to size and wear without washing, and then another pair oversized so that I can wash and shrink them before wearing.  That will let me compare the two techniques over time.

What happened to the inseam length?  Did that shrink up 3-4 inches?

Jan 27, 2012 at 12:17 PM Post #644 of 682
On the patch the jeans are labeled 35 - 35. Now after soaking and maybe a year of wear and tear, the waist measure 18 inches across, so a 36 waist, and from crotch to hem is a bit over 32 inches. I doubt that the consistency  on the 501's is going to be that great, but maybe the measurements can give you a baseline. 

Feb 1, 2012 at 2:37 PM Post #645 of 682
My pair of Levi's had some teeth rip out of the zipper.  They are a loose fit so it wasn't due to sizing :)  Is there a warranty on these?  If not, does anyone know of a resource to get the zipper repaired (i.e. does the local tailor have access to Levi zippers)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back