The Jeans-fi thread
Jul 5, 2010 at 2:34 PM Post #286 of 682
Ok,I ordered a pair of Levis 501 Black STF. I wear 32x32 so I got 34x36. I plan to do an initial hot wash+dryer and then wear them forever until they are tearing apart.

Those will be my second pair of jeans ever. I ditched the first one a few years ago because of my total lack of knowledge regarding Denim.

Jul 5, 2010 at 4:57 PM Post #287 of 682
Wow, I had no idea this thread existed! Right now I'm wearing a pair of raw Dior MII 19cm. I like a tighter fit to wear with white Ts in the spring/summer. I used to be into the raw Japanese stuff, but prices are rising so I've stopped buying it. I've still got a pair of Flathead 1001s and I have a pair of Samurai S5000s that I'm still trying to work in. I also have a pair of vintage Levi's Big E 501s that I got from a vintage shop in Japan....and then of course I have a couple pairs of cheapo Uniqlos.

Jul 5, 2010 at 5:02 PM Post #288 of 682

Quote:
Has anyone been Sugar Cane jeans ?  I'm tempted to get a pair but they are so expensive.  

I bought a pair but sold them right after trying them on. The denim seems to be of good quality, but their fit leaves a lot to be desired....though the SC 2009s look a lot better and the collabo pairs from self edge are always nice.

Jul 6, 2010 at 8:40 PM Post #292 of 682
Head-fi strikes again with another offbeat thread!

Quote:
Has anyone been Sugar Cane jeans ?  I'm tempted to get a pair but they are so expensive.  

HFS, $455 for a pair, what is so damn special about sugar cane fiber?!? You could get a very nice set of headphones for that money!

Quote:
I'm interested in Sugar Cane 1947 because its cut is modeled after Levi's 501. 

Why not just get a lifetime supply of Levi's for the same amount of money ( a dozen pairs at least anyways)? They are pretty much all I wear when I can get away with it. Langston's is a very good online source for the shrink-to-fit 501 BTW.

Jul 6, 2010 at 8:57 PM Post #293 of 682
Oh man, you have no idea. True denim freaks search for "true" 501 jeans (that is, old ones made with original cone denim off an old loom). They're untreated and unwashed, shrink after washing, and are of much higher quality. Now, sugar cane denim does tend to be damn expensive. Levis is having a sale on their current selvedge 501s (they call them the premium chipped rigid/premium resin rinse). From the "hidden" descriptions, it looks like the resin rinse is actually closer to dry (they say it will wear in and fade).

Jul 7, 2010 at 8:21 AM Post #294 of 682

I already have five pairs of 501 and two other types of Levi's.  I wanted something different this time.  May be I should save for a better CD player. 
smile_phones.gif

Jul 7, 2010 at 10:56 PM Post #295 of 682
First "real" pair was a projectile loom Levi 501stfs, which have about a year and 2 washes under their belt

A pair of naked and famous weird guys -- 6 months 1 soak

and my new babies which i picked up a few days ago while im in Tokyo for business

Samurai 21oz S5000VX

cant wait to get them home and soaked :)

Quote:

HFS, $455 for a pair, what is so damn special about sugar cane fiber?!? You could get a very nice set of headphones for that money!

Why not just get a lifetime supply of Levi's for the same amount of money ( a dozen pairs at least anyways)? They are pretty much all I wear when I can get away with it. Langston's is a very good online source for the shrink-to-fit 501 BTW.

sugar canes are modeled after vintage levis, for people who want higher weight selvege in other cuts than the 501XX.  Being made on a shuttle loom and dyed vintage, and that one pair will last you forever.  Sugar Canes are up there with evisu, samurai, and skull IMO.

Jul 8, 2010 at 3:46 AM Post #298 of 682
So I found out H&M sells raw jeans a couple days ago.  Apparently they've been selling them for a long time.  $40 too.

I guess these are a trial pair, but so far I haven't seen anything that would deem them cheap in quality.  The fit is nice for me, but they're a bit too long (They only size in waist, but not length).  Anything I can do about this other than roll up the cuffs?

Jul 8, 2010 at 5:12 AM Post #299 of 682

Quote:
So I found out H&M sells raw jeans a couple days ago.  Apparently they've been selling them for a long time.  $40 too.

I guess these are a trial pair, but so far I haven't seen anything that would deem them cheap in quality.  The fit is nice for me, but they're a bit too long (They only size in waist, but not length).  Anything I can do about this other than roll up the cuffs?

if they are raw/dry and not sanforized, you can give em a nice hot soak for 45 minutes - hour or so and they should shrink a bit, though how much depends on the brand and such i think

Jul 8, 2010 at 6:02 AM Post #300 of 682

Quote:
I'm interested in Sugar Cane 1947 because its cut is modeled after Levi's 501. 

I don't know...I had a pair that were also modeled after the 501s but the waist is so tight that you need to size up and when you size up, the rest of the jeans also get bigger, so they end up much looser and baggier in comparison to Levi's 501s. I'd rather go for something from Samurai with arcs and tabs, but that's just me.

edit: wow...I can't believe I used to throw down $300 on a pair of jeans without much thought, but struggled to justify my headphone/amp purchases. My denim is worth as much as the ed 8s that I want so badly 
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back