The Irony of Calling iPod Users "Sheep"
Sep 20, 2005 at 2:19 AM Post #76 of 114
Im trying to get my hands on a 4gb black Ipod Nano . Do i "baaaaaa" now or when i get it?

Sep 20, 2005 at 5:21 AM Post #78 of 114
Am I the only one who finds all this just a wee bit too sophomoric?

I don't associate with a single person who would be impressed by my iPods or anything else I might own. Anyone who continues to struggle with these issues past the age of about fifteen likely has troubles far beyond being outraged by the color of another's DAP.

If anything about one's DAP choice reflects one's character or personality, it must surely be its content, not its brand name.

Sep 20, 2005 at 5:35 AM Post #79 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spad
Am I the only one who finds all this just a wee bit too sophomoric?

I don't associate with a single person who would be impressed by my iPods or anything else I might own. Anyone who continues to struggle with these issues past the age of about fifteen likely has troubles far beyond being outraged by the color of another's DAP.

If anything about one's DAP choice reflects one's character or personality, it must surely be its content, not its brand name.

You're probably right, but taking that view sucks the fun out of an otherwise entertaining thread.
eggosmile.gif

I guess i'm a member of "team just a wee bit too sophomoric"...
cool.gif

Peace,

Graz

Sep 20, 2005 at 5:40 AM Post #80 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicolaij R.
I'm sorry scrypt... but I refuse to believe that we MUST fall into one of these category:
- brainwashed by marketing (and so sheep)
- rebelled to marketing (and so sheep)

If you go back and read his original post, he didn't say "MUST" or "all". He same "Some people buy iPods...", and "others avoid the iPod..."

Peace,

Graz

Sep 20, 2005 at 6:34 AM Post #81 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graz
I guess i'm a member of "team just a wee bit too sophomoric"...
cool.gif

You're certainly entitled to play at recess, but do try to stop pulling Jenny's braids and throwing dirt at the other children.
tongue.gif

Sep 20, 2005 at 7:44 AM Post #82 of 114
Quote:

If you go back and read his original post, he didn't say "MUST" or "all". He same "Some people buy iPods...", and "others avoid the iPod..."

When I said: "I refuse to believe that we MUST fall into one of these category" I intended we as all the people that buy a DAP. The whole composed by all the people that buy a DAP can be devided into:
-the people that buy an iPod
-the people that buy another one
and if you don't fall in the first category, you surely will fall into the second one.
So if you buy a DAP you're are a sheep!!

Sep 20, 2005 at 8:08 AM Post #83 of 114
Life wouldn't be much fun if we just lived for necessity. It's fun to be sold things and to follow sometimes. We can't all be leaders. Doesn't work that way.

There aren't many true non-conformists anyway. Most who claim to be are just kidding themselves.

Sep 20, 2005 at 8:17 AM Post #84 of 114
My view of consumer "sheep" is different than Scrypt's.

When an informed consumer buys an iPod or other DAP, he is being influenced by whatever marketing he has been exposed to, but has more information at his disposal to evaluate the pros and cons of the product.

An uninformed consumer, who I would consider to be "sheep," is just choosing a DAP based on appearance, size, brand image, and marketing-derived factors. The "sheep" knows little or nothing about digital audio formats, battery life, software, sync options, sound quality, etc. and doesn't really care too much about them. They just want a something a certain size and appearance to carry and listen to music with.

As long as the consumer is reasonably well-informed, I would not consider him "sheep," even if he upgrades his DAP based on fashion trends. My view is that since he is well-informed, the information has already been factored into the buying decision.

For all consumerism, there is always going to be some element of being a "sheep." For example, even a well-informed buyer is going to be influenced to some extent by brand image. The "sheep" effect is still there, just to a lesser degree.

Since this is Head-Fi, many members probably don't fall in the category I would consider as "sheep" concerning DAPs. If we were to begin discussing other products such as cleaning detergents, oven-baked pizza brick ovens or scuba gear, many members would probably become "sheep," including myself.

It only requires interest and knowledge about the product to reduce the "sheep" effect and become, what? A "semi-sheep?"
biggrin.gif

Sep 20, 2005 at 11:19 AM Post #85 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicolaij R.
So if you buy a DAP you're are a sheep!!

Pretty much.....
tongue.gif

(All hi-tech toys are a fetish of some sort.)

Sep 20, 2005 at 11:46 AM Post #86 of 114
I first bought a Zen Extra 40GB because it was the cheapest DAP available at the time. I exhanged it for an Ipod because with ALAC I could get 1.5x the music on it and it was smaller. Itunes has been way more stable than Creative Music Manager. Sheep? NAAAAAAH
biggrin.gif

Sep 20, 2005 at 12:57 PM Post #87 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by scrypt
Most of my friends don't shop for clothes at the Gap or Target, but they do gloat about buying rare 80s Nikes, antique cap-toed Oxfords, vintage watches, second-hand Vera Wang dresses or discovering the perfect Saville Row-trained bespoke tailor for forging knock-offs of $3000 swing-friendly suits.

been looking for one of those for ages.. care to share?
wink.gif

Sep 20, 2005 at 4:55 PM Post #88 of 114
I have an iRiver H340 as a replacement for my Rio Karma, which I bought because it acts as a USB host, plays OGG, and will soon support Rockbox firmware. The Rockbox bit was my reasoning for purchasing it over the iAudio X5, as the Rockbox team hasn't started working on that port yet. I also have a Rio Karma, which has far superior features for playing music than any DAP out there. Period. Unfortunately, the Karma's power button broke and I'm currently making it my little side project to repair and modify it, and using the inferior iRiver as my on the go player.

I've bought a few DAPs in my day, and never did the though cross my mind to consider buying an iPod. It just doesn't offer enough audio features for me. It's perfectly fine to me if it's well suited for Joe and Josephine Six-Pack who aren't listening to 10 albums a day, but I hardly think I'm a sheep for wanting some features. I've never seen an advert for either of my players in my life, I found them from doing research.

Sep 20, 2005 at 5:54 PM Post #89 of 114
Can't we all be happy with what we have and get on?

We can try to advise ppl (which is subjective and maybe biased anyway), but there's no need to get stressed if a person won't change their DAP (alleigance). If ppl are happy with their choice, move on. Won't be able to change minds, so no point arguing

Sep 20, 2005 at 7:29 PM Post #90 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaikoten
I've never seen an advert for either of my players in my life, I found them from doing research.

How? In a lab or by reading tons of tech lit, second-handedly? I submit that much of the so-called tech literature in media nowadays is really advert with a guise of rationality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back