The iRiver iHP-120
Jun 11, 2004 at 12:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Leoml88

Head-Fier
Hi. I am thinking about getting this player, because it seems like a great player. I was wondering though, I know you browse by file directories, but can you also browse by artist, genre, album, or song, like the iPod? Although I'm good with windows, and know how to rip mp3s and stuff, I'm meticulous about my library and want it completely organized, where I don't have to find the songs by their filenames. Is this player for me? If you can browse by artist, album, etc., do I need to create separate folders in windows explorer for artists, genre, album, etc. or can I just drag and drop my shared folder and it will automatically organize? Also, I heard when iD3 tags are activated (which I'm assuming would let me browse like an iPod) it takes considerably long to load. Is this true? I have about 900 songs.

Another question: I have been using iTunes (great program) and anyways, when I rip cds, it goes to .m4u format. Can the iRiver read this? If so, does it recognize the iD3 tags? (I hear it doesn't recognize .wma id3 tags. If not, what are some good programs to rip cds to mp3 format?

One other thing about the iRiver- I know it doesn't come with music management software, but does it come with any software that organizes your songs into files in windows explorer based on iD3 tags?

And lastly, should I hold out for the zen touch? It seems pretty cool (although looks way too much like an iPod wannabee)
---

Jun 11, 2004 at 2:28 AM Post #2 of 25
I recommend the iRiver because I love mine. I've not tested the other. You can create a folder containing all your music. You can subdivide it however you like. For eample you can create a folder called albums. There you can list all of your albums and transfer the entire folder onto your iHP 120. The iHP acts as an external hard drive so all you have to do is click the folder you want and drag it to the iHP 120 drive that appears on your computer. Once on the iHP you will see your albums folder. It'll wiil be set up ecatly how you have it on you computer. Simple. I hope this helps.

Later

Jun 11, 2004 at 2:30 AM Post #3 of 25
Here is a little something I wrote a few days ago when I got mine, I hope you find it useful
smily_headphones1.gif

Link

Jun 11, 2004 at 2:47 AM Post #4 of 25
What I'm really wondering is, do you navigate by filename, like you would on a computer, or do you navigate by the actual song, artist, genre, or album, like you would on an iPod?

Also, .m3u playlists by winamp are only one file, not a folder. How does it show up on the iRiver?

Jun 11, 2004 at 3:02 AM Post #5 of 25
The iHP can use either a 'filetree' mode or a 'database' mode, from my understanding, the 'database' mode (what you're asking for) is kinda sluggish and doesn't load very quickly, although this could have been changed.

If this is an issue for you, and you are looking for getting the most power in that respect, you would do yourself a disservice not to look at the Karma.

**Yes I have a Karma so I am naturally somewhat biased, anyway**

The Karma uses an advanced database system that does allow you to browse by artist, album, track, genre, year etc. However, it also supports on the fly playlisting, which means that you can create a playlist on the go, save it and then if you so desire, upload it to your computer etc. The GUI is arguably as good (if not better) than the iPod, just as responsive etc.

Also, the Karma has a unique feature called "Rio DJ" which categorizes what you have listened to, and how often. It then automatically generates playlists such as: (from the manual)
Quote:

Entertain Me!
Select to create a running order composed of the most frequently played tracks. The track running order plays
for a selectable amount of time. Settings include 15 minutes (the default setting), 30 minutes, 1 hour, 2
hours, 3 hours, 4 hours, 8 hours, and Everything.
• Play All
Select to create a running order that sorts all of the tracks on the player into basic categories. Settings include
Album (the default setting), Artist, Genre, and Year. The track running order generated is ordered
alphabetically or chronologically, based on the selected Play All setting.
• Top Tunes
Select to create a running order composed of a set number of the most frequently played tracks. The most
frequently played tracks are played first. Settings include 10 (the default setting), 20, 30, 40, 50, 100, and
• New Music
Select to create a running order composed of the most recently loaded tracks during a set amount of time. The
most recently played tracks are played first. Settings include 1 day (the default setting), 3 days, 1 week, 2
weeks, 1 month, 6 months, and 1 year.
• Memory Lane
Select to create a running order composed of the least frequently played tracks during a set amount of time.
The least recently played tracks are played first. Settings include 1 day (the default setting), 3 days, 1 week,
2 weeks, 1 month, 6 months, and 1 year.
Contents Index
Rio Karma
• Sounds Of...
Select to create a running order composed of tracks from a specific decade. Settings include 1940’s (the
default setting), 1950’s, 1960’s, 1970’s, 1980’s, 1990’s, and the 2000’s.
• Forgotten Gems
Select to create a running order composed of the most popular, but least recently played, tracks during a set
amount of time. The most recently played tracks are played first. Settings include 1 day (the default setting),
3 days, 1 week, 2 weeks, 1 month, 6 months, and 1 year.
• Déjà Vu
Select to create a running order composed of the most popular and most recently played tracks during a set
amount of time. The most frequently played tracks are played first. Settings include 1 day (the default
setting), 3 days, 1 week, 2 weeks, 1 month, 6 months, and 1 year.
• Random Mix
Select to create a running order composed of all tracks, in random order, on the player. The track running
order will play for a set amount of time. Settings include 15 minutes (the default setting), 30 minutes, 1
hour, 2 hours, 3 hours, 4 hours, 8 hours, and Everything.

Also, on the playlisting side the Karma will also support .M3U playlists etc

Finally, and most importantly to many is the 5 band parametric EQ and gapless playback. Giving the most flexibility of seamless sound.

Thaddy's link is very informative as well, and at the same time, if you are curious about the Karma I would encourage you to check out Riovolution.com and get some more information. (It is a very active community so please search first as most likely your question has already been asked, if it hasn't ask away and we are a friendly bunch that like to help out)

On the iRiver side, check out www.misticriver.net SweetSpot, one of the Mods is a great guy and they are an equally friendly bunch there as well.

Jun 11, 2004 at 4:16 PM Post #6 of 25
I am an iHP-120 owner and I was a little worried about file navigation when I was looking at buying a DAP too. Unfortunately, though I researched a lot of articles and reviews on the web, I couldn't really play with it in the stores (I went to Best Buy and Circuit City).

However, the Karma, Samsung YEPP (yech!), ipod(s) (of course), phillips HDD100, etc. were all out on display at BestBuy. So after playing with each player in my hand, I liked the Karma the best, though I couldn't stand the thickness of the device. I have good-sized hands and I didn't like the feel of it in my hand. Besides, I wanted a remote with my player anyway.

I bought the iHP the day it came in, since I liked the optical/line in ports, the massive amounts of included accessories, and the legibility of the screen.

If you are truly looking at file navigation efficiency, you must have order. I organized my songs by genre (i.e. ALTERNATIVE, CLASSICAL, etc.) and placed each CD Name in each category. I mainly prefer the file folder navigation, so I just pasted my ripped CD's in the appropriate place. I also use the database, but some ID3 tags (ones I got from other people) are not written correctly so I have some extraneous database entries.

Also, the iriver will not see ogg files in the database, although there are utilities to fix that (just do a search in this forum). Don't worry about the database as much, since you will know where each and every folder is. After all, you're the one putting it all together!

Hope this helps. Have fun in your choice! For the price, it's only $329.99 at Best Buy, and it has a lot more features than some of the other DAP's out there. Just choose one you like and go with it.
lambda.gif

Jun 11, 2004 at 4:52 PM Post #7 of 25
I've owned both the iPod and the iHP along with Creative players (Zen and JB3). The iHP has been disposed of, and I'm left with the NJB3 and the iPod and Mini.

iTunes can rip to MP3 format, and this is what the iHP can read. However, iTunes does not provide integration with the iHP.

The iRiver does not ship with any software apart from the Database tool (absolutely bloody useless IMO) I found the database mode unusable, but the file tree mode quite usable. In this instance, you have to create the file tree yourself. This can be done through iTunes itself and other programs... not a huge deal. The drag and drop functionality would (IMO) suit those with a music library the same size / smaller than the iRiver but once again I found the drag and drop ultimately sub-optimal as my library is currently 120Gb+. Third party software is available to alleviate this problem but none of them are (IMO) as good as iTunes.

Overall, the player was just too 'geek' for me. It gave me unnecessary information, was a reasonably accomplished hardware design with good battery endurance but suffered (IMO, have to keep Sweet Spot happy) from an operating system that placed features before ease of use. It has every feature known to man but implements none of them optimally (IMO). Recording functions leave a lot to be desired as does playback (IMO). It also failed on the fundamental sound quality test (IMO). It is in my view a player for those who need options and tweakability and not for those who place as their priority the aim to listen to music (IMO).

If you need recording facilities with drag and drop upload ability in a compact package or you are a confirmed geek, get the iHP. If you like iTunes and the way it works, get the iPod.

Jun 11, 2004 at 6:27 PM Post #8 of 25
I would have to agree if using iTunes use an Ipod. However musicmatch juke box works well for me and my iHP. In a way the iRiver has a classic 80's discman feel. It's built solid and tough and looks kinda funny. I find that amusing concidering this is a new format and all. The iPod has a very soft, warm, and smoothie feel to it like all Apple products. The plus with iHP is the long battery life, recording feature, fm tuner, and remote control. The downside is it odviously won't work as well with iTunes as an Ipod and isn't as user friendly. It's still simple to use. It's an endless debate like apple vs. pc. The recording feature and price put me over the edge for the iHP. It's up to you. I hope I didn't throw you for a loop and make it worse for you.

Later

Jun 12, 2004 at 12:53 PM Post #10 of 25
I had the Iriver and found that after upgrading the firmware (to support ogg vorbis files) the player no longer was able to sort files via id3 tags. Emailed IriverAmerica on this and got reply confirming that the new firmware had this undesired side-effect. Don't know if that's been changed with newer firmware upgrades, as I've since sold the IHP having converted to Ipod/minIpod bliss.

Jun 12, 2004 at 1:20 PM Post #11 of 25
i just found out the iHP has a recording limit of 74 minutes no matter what format or bitrate... what a joke. iRiver half-assed this player in so many areas.

Jun 12, 2004 at 5:38 PM Post #12 of 25
Arguably the added record feature is a bonus. If you want a full blown out recorder buy a 500 series iRiver. Or buy an apple that forces you to pay extra for extra feautures that could have been put in it from the start. So who realy did it half way. 6 in one and half a dozen in the other. It's a pointless argument.

Jun 12, 2004 at 5:53 PM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by austonia
i just found out the iHP has a recording limit of 74 minutes no matter what format or bitrate... what a joke. iRiver half-assed this player in so many areas.

Well then I guess it's a good thing I bought my iRiver to play my music back
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 12, 2004 at 7:45 PM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edvard_Grieg
The iHP can use either a 'filetree' mode or a 'database' mode, from my understanding, the 'database' mode (what you're asking for) is kinda sluggish and doesn't load very quickly, although this could have been changed.

If this is an issue for you, and you are looking for getting the most power in that respect, you would do yourself a disservice not to look at the Karma.

**Yes I have a Karma so I am naturally somewhat biased, anyway**

The Karma uses an advanced database system that does allow you to browse by artist, album, track, genre, year etc. However, it also supports on the fly playlisting, which means that you can create a playlist on the go, save it and then if you so desire, upload it to your computer etc. The GUI is arguably as good (if not better) than the iPod, just as responsive etc.

Also, the Karma has a unique feature called "Rio DJ" which categorizes what you have listened to, and how often. It then automatically generates playlists such as: (from the manual)

Also, on the playlisting side the Karma will also support .M3U playlists etc

Finally, and most importantly to many is the 5 band parametric EQ and gapless playback. Giving the most flexibility of seamless sound.

Thaddy's link is very informative as well, and at the same time, if you are curious about the Karma I would encourage you to check out Riovolution.com and get some more information. (It is a very active community so please search first as most likely your question has already been asked, if it hasn't ask away and we are a friendly bunch that like to help out)

On the iRiver side, check out www.misticriver.net SweetSpot, one of the Mods is a great guy and they are an equally friendly bunch there as well.

The Karma sounds great. I have one (had it since Xmas) and coupled with some KSC50s it's the best sounding audio device in my house.
wink.gif

HOWEVER be warned that you seriously may need your 90 day warranty. Once you pass the 90 days and have a problem, Rio charges $200 for a replacement unit.
rolleyes.gif
My scroll wheel is stuck in (crappy design - it just sank in one day during normal use), my player freezes quite a bit with firmware 1.68, and my volume + button has trouble working.

If those don't bother you (or you buy an extended, no questions asked warranty) then by all means get the Karma.

Jun 14, 2004 at 2:43 AM Post #15 of 25
D2X, It's great that your still happy with your Karma! I do want to make it clear that the extent of problems you've had is not 'typical', I've had mine since last october, and I've yet to have a single hardware problem and I admittedly do 'abuse' devices, snowboarding, 4 foot falls onto ice etc. I just don't want to give the OP the impression that ALL Karmas go bad. There is the possibility it will, and the Karma has seen 'some' more problems than other players, but that doesn't mean that all players will have that problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back