The ipod poll
Sep 6, 2007 at 2:52 PM Post #16 of 40
i think i'll get one (classic), i like the storage, batt life, and price tag on that thing
i think once the "touch" maxes out in sales, it'll eventually get a HDD in it, or by then flash will be cheaper. that will be the day

my dream ipod is actually one of those fakes done a couple years ago. its the size and dimensions of a 5th gen, only the whole front size was a touch screen.

Sep 6, 2007 at 3:21 PM Post #17 of 40
I'd like the extra room in the 160 GB model, but I'm not gonna buy until there's a RockBox build that works.

Right now an iMod would be more attractive to me, and I understand a 160GB HDD can be installed during the course of an iMod.

Sep 6, 2007 at 3:31 PM Post #18 of 40
Just did a A/B test with my D2 and Ety yesterday in comparison to the iPod. For having cost so much more, the 5th gen, I believe, iPod just couldn't keep up.

Oh, and the fanbase is extremely annoying.

Sep 6, 2007 at 4:59 PM Post #19 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Schalldämpfer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just did a A/B test with my D2 and Ety yesterday in comparison to the iPod. For having cost so much more, the 5th gen, I believe, iPod just couldn't keep up.

Oh, and the fanbase is extremely annoying.

Not nearly as annoying as the iPod haters, those who hate the iPod simply because it's popular.

On a side note, it's interesting that you felt compelled to add the qualifier "For having cost so much more..."

Any observations on the sq irrespective of cost?

Sep 6, 2007 at 5:46 PM Post #20 of 40
160 GB iPod Classic here it comes.
biggrin.gif

Sep 6, 2007 at 6:34 PM Post #21 of 40
Some, like me, only use the Ipod for listening to music. No pictures, no podcasts, no movies. No nuttin'--just music. Which is why I got the used-off-ebay 40g 4th generation, sent to Vinnie for modding and love it with my Portaphile and Supermacro IV LE. Can understand why everyone loves all the bells and whistles, but do wish Apple would've continued making just a stripped down version in maybe an 80gig model for those of us who just want unrelentingly good music reproduction out of the Ipods

Sep 6, 2007 at 7:46 PM Post #24 of 40
Does RockBox work on the iMods?

Sep 6, 2007 at 8:22 PM Post #25 of 40
The iPod Classic is the first iPod that has ever caught my attention, 160 gbs and 40 hours of battery life is impressive. However there are a few factors before I seriously consider buying one:

1. I need to see some reviews, specifically about the SQ. The iMod is out of my budget so I need the headphone out to sound good. Also must be hiss-less, I don't know why but that hissing sound during silence really gets on my nerves.

2. Is it rockbox-able? Obvious reasons.

3. What are other companies coming out with to compete? I'll probably wait until December/Christmas to see if there is any serious competition (come on Cowon/iAudio!). Who knows maybe there'll be a $200 price drop!
tongue.gif

4. Someone can probably answer this here: Are the controls tactile or touch/smooth?

5. How's the new case? Durable? Cheap feeling?

Sep 6, 2007 at 9:36 PM Post #27 of 40
I think I'll eventually get an iPod classic (between the storage space and battery life I'm pretty much sold), but I'm not too sold on the interface in all honesty. From what I've read, it works wonderfully on the iPhone/iPod touch while it's supposedly sluggish on the nano and classic.

Sep 6, 2007 at 9:57 PM Post #28 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by YamiTenshi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The iPod Classic is the first iPod that has ever caught my attention, 160 gbs and 40 hours of battery life is impressive. However there are a few factors before I seriously consider buying one:

1. I need to see some reviews, specifically about the SQ. The iMod is out of my budget so I need the headphone out to sound good. Also must be hiss-less, I don't know why but that hissing sound during silence really gets on my nerves.

2. Is it rockbox-able? Obvious reasons.

3. What are other companies coming out with to compete? I'll probably wait until December/Christmas to see if there is any serious competition (come on Cowon/iAudio!). Who knows maybe there'll be a $200 price drop!
tongue.gif

4. Someone can probably answer this here: Are the controls tactile or touch/smooth?

5. How's the new case? Durable? Cheap feeling?

I can answer number 2: As of right now there's no mention of a build for the new iPods, and I would definitely not install a build that was not specifically tested.

These have just been announced, it might take a little while before the RockBox guys get their hands on one...

Sep 6, 2007 at 10:40 PM Post #30 of 40
They probably still sound terrible, like almost every other portable device (my X5 included...SO MUCH BACKGROUND NOISE!), of course, I'm talking through the HP out.

I wonder if the classic has a new and/or better DAC...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back