The iPod Hi-Fi
May 15, 2006 at 8:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

fishtankfish

100+ Head-Fier
We all know the iPod Hi-Fi is overpriced and under-qualitied (ha), anyway, i kind of like the idea of it, so what systems are the better alternatives?

May 15, 2006 at 8:18 AM Post #2 of 9
i thought one of the BOSE (yes...bose) sounded not bad...but they are very expensive as well. i think it was this:

10071945.jpg

May 15, 2006 at 9:17 AM Post #3 of 9
the bose and the hifi are rubbish. check out the ideck from monitor audio.
froogle_image

its much better, true stereo speakers, actual bass and highs, good clarity and decent imaging (for the price).
blows the competition out of the water imho

May 15, 2006 at 9:26 AM Post #4 of 9
I thought the Bose was fine. It does exactly what it says on the tin and works very well IMO. And yes, I've heard the iDeck too.

I'd say get the Sounddock if you want something unobtrusive and fairly decent sounding, and if you want something which resembles speakers more then perhaps the best option is to buy a Universal dock and a pair of powered monitors. Something like a pair of these for example http://www.genelec.com/products/8030a/8030a.php or if that's outside your budget, perhaps a pair of these http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/DX4-main.html. The bass fall-off that occurs with the Universal dock shouldn't be an issue with low-end speakers.

May 15, 2006 at 3:45 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
I thought the Bose was fine. It does exactly what it says on the tin and works very well IMO. And yes, I've heard the iDeck too.

That's what I thought as well. What do you expect from speakers of that size?
confused.gif

May 15, 2006 at 4:42 PM Post #8 of 9
i didnt base my impression on size, but on price. the bose does vocals very well, but it sounded congested to me. it didnt have the treble extention or clarity that i would expect for something of that price.

May 15, 2006 at 5:12 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnywolfet
i didnt base my impression on size, but on price. the bose does vocals very well, but it sounded congested to me. it didnt have the treble extention or clarity that i would expect for something of that price.

that's to be expected from bose...they accentuate the mids because that's what many people perceive to "sound good"...bose does often "sound good" in the sense of being warm and inviting. but at the cost of accuracy and fidelity of the original source material...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back