The iPod Box
Aug 12, 2004 at 2:03 PM Post #31 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by HD-5000
I don't get it. Complaints about the packaging of all things. Is this a joke or a legitamite complaint? Is it counterintuitiative and difficult, or just plain ugly? Either way, I don't get it. If it's a joke then I must say its not a very funny one. If it's a complaint then all I can say is that youre too critical about things that shouldn't bother you too much.

I believe this is a legitimate complaint from the thread starter.

I think Apple has not only made the iPod sheik and fashionable, they have made the whole experience of owning and opening the box for the first time the same way. Those who have owned earlier generations of iPods are used to a top notch box and packaging. Imagine their surprise when their Gen 4 arrives and the box quality has decreased. They perceive this as a sign that Apple is getting cheaper in quality with their products. After all, first impressions are everything.

plainface.gif

Aug 12, 2004 at 3:23 PM Post #32 of 39
check out ipodlounge's power user's review of the ipod 4

They also spent quite a bit of time saying the ipod 4 packaging (and actually the ipod 4 itself) is a step down in class from the previous generation. They do say that the new clickwheel is an improvement in functionality though.

regardless of the small downgrade in class, the apple box is still much better than the blister packs that my sony dne900 and rio nitrus came in.

the japanese imported md players I've had in the past came in a cardboard box that is maximized for storage efficiency rather than first impressions. still better than blister packaging, they provide a place to store the accessories when I don't need them.

Aug 12, 2004 at 4:13 PM Post #33 of 39
it's not funny to you because you probably havent opened the box of the first generations and the newest generations

and that "first impressions" post is right on the money... it does give an impression of cheapness and you wonder where else they skimped on things

it is a legitimate complaint and supposed to be humourous

dont you remember the guys who made the truth about the apple battery video

we are APPLE users.... we are supposed to think different...... i don't expect groupthinking pc users to understand

Aug 12, 2004 at 4:24 PM Post #34 of 39
I don't see how making the screen light up blue/purple in the 4G is a step down in class
blink.gif

While I appreciate that nice packaging adds to the "specialness" of the iPod experience, 1) The new packaging is more earth-friendly and 2) The change is slight: styrofoam to cardboard, it wouldn't make a difference to me. And as for the box graphics going from photos to those lame silhouettes, I agree it's a step down, but it's not as though I'm cutting up my iPod box and putting it on my wall. I don't see how the packaging issue is significant and if it helps Apple sell me an iPod at a lower cost, they can wrap it in newspaper and tie it with a rubber band for all I care. For me, I have other iPod issues to complain about (gapless playback, no text scrolling...)

Aug 12, 2004 at 4:29 PM Post #35 of 39
the last i've heard the grado ps 1 comes in a cardboard box, i don't see a river of tears from the owners though

Aug 12, 2004 at 7:57 PM Post #36 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefroastbeef
the last i've heard the grado ps 1 comes in a cardboard box, i don't see a river of tears from the owners though

Well, if they'd be used to it coming in a handmade wooden box with a velvet bed for the product inside you probably would. Therefore the comparison does not really work.

(Personally, I do put my iPod boxes on display on one of my bookshelves)

Heck, Apple users often even produce picture galleries of their "unpacking ceremonies", nobody want's a "and here's the cheap looking grey loose fit cardboard" pic in those...
evil_smiley.gif
I think it should be no problem to produce a snug fit holding from hard paper, and also no problem to have it dyied white without compromising the environmental aspect. Better for nature is great, way to go, but it is well possible to keep it good looking.

Aug 12, 2004 at 8:49 PM Post #37 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by intlplby
...dont you remember the guys who made the truth about the apple battery video...

OK, now that's a funny statement.

I assume you're referring to the guy that put together http://www.ipodsdirtysecret.com/ ?

That whole thing was nothing close to the "Truth". It was just one guy's whining that he didn't get his way. He twisted the facts, among other things, leaving out the fact that 3rd party battery replacements were already available. Just so he could get more attention and portray himself as a victim of "The big bad corporation"... makes me sick
mad.gif

On the other hand, if you do feel the box issue is a big deal, go ahead with your plan. This is a much more legitimate complaint (even though I don't see it as a big deal) than the battery non-issue.

Aug 12, 2004 at 9:55 PM Post #38 of 39
[size=xx-small]I loved the packaging of the 3G iPod. I retained the box and its contents just incase. Who knows maybe I will want to relive the experience over and over again by putting my iPod back inside the wrapping and do it all over again. It would save me a lot of money instead of buying a new one.[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back