The iPod Box
Aug 8, 2004 at 9:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

intlplby

500+ Head-Fier
I want to whip-up a little 'complaint' video to the people at Apple.

I have been an iPod owner since the 1st gen ipods.

One of the nicest perks of being an Apple owner is the great feeling of opening the box in which your Apple product came in.

To those who know, it's almost 'magical'

You get this sense of having something really special where every detail of the product from buying it in the store and down to opening it in your own home has been thought through.

The packaging for the iPods was great. The box is innovative and the inside packaging is top notch.

That is until the 4th gen iPod came out. I opened my iPod today and I am disappointed to say the least.

Instead of nicely formed clean white styrofoam that holds everything perfectly it has been replaced with cheap formed cardboard pulp that doesn't hold the contents snuggly. Very cheap looking and feeling. It was a total buzzkill to open the iPod box and see that inside.

I ripped a scene from Animal House and a scene from Varsity Blues which I am going to edit together in Final Cut and send to Apple as a complaint.

I am going to take the scene from Varsity Blues where the QB takes the blonde home and then has her naked in his living room in a whipped creme bikini and flash back and forth between that and a scene of me opening a 3rd gen Apple iPod.

Then I am going to take the scene from Animal House where Otter is making out with the highschool chick and do the same thing and make sure the moment he opens her bra and the stuff toilet paper falls out coincides with opening the new 4th gen iPod box.

now i just need to find a DV cam to borrow so i can whip up a video of me opening both boxes

Aug 8, 2004 at 9:57 PM Post #2 of 39
Don't worry; there are very good pills nowadays.

Aug 8, 2004 at 10:27 PM Post #3 of 39
That was Pinto making out with the toilet paper chick. Otter was with Dean Wormer's wife while all that was going on.

Aug 9, 2004 at 12:22 AM Post #5 of 39
The g4 pod is less $ than the g3 pod, right? You don't expect Apple are making less profit on them do you?

/unless of course the original poster has his tongue largely cheek-bound
wink.gif

Aug 9, 2004 at 6:23 AM Post #9 of 39
I've got the 2G, which had very nice packaging. My thoughts when opening the box were:

1) Gee, this looks pretty.
2) Must've cost Apple a bundle.
3) I wish they saved some money on the packaging and lowered the price.

Apple's too used to being a "Boutique" shop, with emphasis on presentation to justify the higher cost. Yes, their computers have other advantages over looks, but those aren't obvious to the casual buyer (or anyone else that hasn't spent quality time with a Mac). This then translates into lost sales, lower market share, etc.

The only way Apple's Fairplay DRM won't get rolled over by Microsoft's WMP DRM, is if Apple sells a ton of iPods. They're doing ok now, but the competition's getting stronger every day. Apple needs to keep increasing it's iPod sales as much as possible, and one of the best ways to do it, is by lowering prices. That means no more pretty boxes that add little perceived value to the product.

Of course, this doesn't mean the boxes have to look like crap. They still need to protect the product and give a fairly professional presentation.

Aug 9, 2004 at 4:20 PM Post #10 of 39
OMG! The packaging isn't incredibly expensive and nice looking ! OMG!

Seriously, so what. Its still far better than the blister packaging that most mp3 players come in anyways.

Aug 9, 2004 at 4:36 PM Post #11 of 39
The packaging is now made of card, because Apple has a new environment initiative whereby they are reducing the size and environmental impact of their packaging.

You can check out their policies on this page.

Anyhow, does it really bother you that much?

Aug 9, 2004 at 6:57 PM Post #12 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leoml88
OMG! The packaging isn't incredibly expensive and nice looking ! OMG!

Seriously, so what. Its still far better than the blister packaging that most mp3 players come in anyways.

It is a luxury item and therefore should be presented in a decent way. Otherwise they might just as well sell them from a full basket under the counter. I remember when I got a b&o telephone and the packaging was just... well holding the items in brown hard paper. No presentation, no easy access, no oh's and ah's. *pfrrrt*
plainface.gif

I have seen pictures of the 4G packaging, and I am 100% Apple can do better than that while still being friendly on the environment.

And btw, the guy who invented the blisterpack will be first against the wall once the revolution comes.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 9, 2004 at 7:19 PM Post #13 of 39
Boy, things must be bad in Apple-Land if people are complaining about the packaging that their iPod comes in. Wake up and smell the coffee Steve Jobs!

Unfortunately, in a place like here in New York, blister packs are a necessary evil to prevent tampering. There’s too many shady electronic shops that will remove stuff from packages or put old (refurbished) stuff in new boxes and try and pass them off as new items.

eek.gif

Aug 10, 2004 at 12:44 AM Post #15 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by GSTom1
...Unfortunately, in a place like here in New York, blister packs are a necessary evil to prevent tampering. There’s too many shady electronic shops that will remove stuff from packages or put old (refurbished) stuff in new boxes and try and pass them off as new items.

eek.gif

Yeah, had a friend order a digital camera from one of those places. He got one that was literally falling apart
mad.gif

I avoid any non-reputable places from that area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back