The Impossible Upgrade — The Epic search for the impossible by a blindman
Mar 1, 2020 at 9:43 PM Post #16 of 24
I just sold a pair of ATH AD2000s(non-X). They have an aggressive,forward presentation,with excellent mids. They are killer for rock,metal,female vocals and electronica.
Theyre also not super comfortable,with a very tight clamp,so thats something to be aware of. Theyre also very hard to find these days,as they were only released in Japan back in the day.

Other headphones to consider that have a similar sound signature are Grados/Alessandro. Also very mid centric,with a forward aggressive sound. They have more energy in the upper mids than the ATHs,which you seem to like. Sorta easy to drive from a phone,but an amp is suggested. I do find them to be quite uncomfortable though.

Another to consider is one of my favorite headphones of all time,and better than the Grados and ATHs,is the AKG K240 sextetts. These have the best mids of the bunch. Fast,forward,aggressive sound. They come in three variants,EP,MP and LP. EP having the most midbass,and LP having the least. MP is right in the middle,and my favorite.
Theyre also quite inexpensive,maybe around 100-150.00 USD. Buying used is a must as theyve been discontinued for over 40 years. They are very power hungry and require quite a strong amp,being 600 ohms and a 93 sensitivity. The best and least expensive way to drive them will be by using a vintage receiver. the sound is fantastic.
I have a very high-end and expensive set-up,yet I still find my Sextett/receiver combo to be very enjoyable.

I have made video reviews on buying Sextetts and vintage receivers on my Youtube channel(link below). Have a look and if these sound like something you'd want to get into and have further questions feel free to ask.

I'm already subscribed to you channel......!!!!!!!! After this I watched your Sextet review... (you really like them!!!)

I've seen many AD2000 posts of yours..... (many people talk about them, but you HAD one.... what is completely different...)

Have you heard the AD900??? COuld you please compare both??? Many know one OR the other... just a few (around 3 I believe) had both....

The 2K is said to be warmer (????? How's that???? an ATH AD???). Also, their sound signature wouldn't be "that close" to the AD900.....

I find Grados sound a bit shallow and hollow.... (I really can't explain....but I'm not experienced enough with them to have a strong opnion....) but the fact of being ON ears kills any consideration about them...

Mar 1, 2020 at 10:50 PM Post #17 of 24
Hey,thanks for the subscription!
Unfortunately I havent heard the AD900s. They very well may be brighter than the AD2000s,but I do not consider the 2000s to be warm.
LCD-2,HD650,Atticus,all warm. AD2000s not close to those in warmth. Sorry I cant give you a better answer.

Mar 2, 2020 at 3:52 AM Post #19 of 24
I wish you reviewed more "accessible" headphones
I should have some more affordable gear reviews coming up this spring and summer. :)

Mar 4, 2020 at 3:02 PM Post #22 of 24
I've been reading about the Focal Elex...

Anyone can compare the AD2000 to them?

(It seems I'm alone in here...)
1583352115199.png

Mar 5, 2020 at 5:12 AM Post #23 of 24
(It seems I'm alone in here...)

Because no one has a direct answer to your streamlined question. To wit...

I've been reading about the Focal Elex...

Anyone can compare the AD2000 to them?

...I've tried the Utopia vs my HD600 2018 November, same tube amp that shouldn't have trouble with either...and I'm not rushing an upgrade anymore.

I might still get the Elex next year but no rush really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back