The Impossible Dream (cheap, decent, closed)
Oct 17, 2002 at 9:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

GanChan

500+ Head-Fier
I am still seeking that mythical beast, the Cheap (<$40) Closed Headphone That Doesn't Suck. I was hoping the Senn 202 would solve my problem, but it was too boomy and treble-shy for me. I actually didn't hate the Koss R80, but it's priced a little higher than its performance merits.

Thoughts?

Oct 17, 2002 at 10:08 PM Post #2 of 9
Lol I was going to mention koss r-80 if u can find it on sale. :p

Biggie.

Oct 17, 2002 at 11:24 PM Post #4 of 9
Hey Ganchan, I think the sony MDR-CD180s are decent, $20 closed headphones. I have a pair and like them. They take a good 20 hours to burn in. I found mine at Circuit City, I think. To me, the sound really, truly, is decent.
tongue.gif
I enjoy it alot and it's a new sound for me. For what it's worth to you, Consumer Reports rated the CD180s tied for 2nd in their tests, and rated them as significantly better than the TD 80s. They also suggested that headphones rated below the CD180s (which would include the Koss TD 80s) were not suitable for ciritical listening to music.
redface.gif
The CD180s are boomy and there is excess sibilance and a bit of a hollow sound, though -- there's no denying it.
rolleyes.gif

For $60 or a little more, you can get the Sony MDR-V6s -- a SUPER pair of headphones that will give you a lifetime of enjoyment.
biggrin.gif
To my mind, if you don't have these already, this would be the superior purchase.

Oct 17, 2002 at 11:49 PM Post #5 of 9
Well, I already have the V6...but even though it's a very tough build, I prefer to pamper it at home; I want a closed cheap-a-phone that I can throw around and not be too upset if it gets broken, stolen, etc. I'll try the 180.

I think the AKG 55 may also be a good idea, now that I'm seeing for $29 at various online stores. It might sound a little more "legit" than the 180.
smily_headphones1.gif
And I see it gets recommended for classical and vocal music....

Oct 18, 2002 at 12:02 AM Post #6 of 9
I don't think the r80 and td80 are the same phones...

Biggie.

Oct 18, 2002 at 10:20 AM Post #9 of 9
Hi, have you listened to the Beyer DT231's? I picked up a pair of these for 30UKP ($40ish) and found them to be very pleasant. They need a fair bit of power though, not all portables will power them, but I use a little amp I got for a fiver, which does the job well.
Andrew

Users who are viewing this thread

Back