The importance of the Dynamic Range Database? Maximum score?
Nov 10, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #31 of 50
  I actually think that I can hear when compression is applied or at least when it is used too much.

I do not think that this Sound Liaison album has any or if so at least very very little compression applied. It is simply 3 musicians who has played together for years and adjust their levels
 to each other...nobody plays too loud...it is that simple.

The theoretical max for the Redbook format is much higher than any of that; for instance this waveform is DR58.

To protect my ears I think I will go for the Sound Liaison approach :)

Nov 10, 2015 at 10:17 PM Post #32 of 50

Worry not. The unit impulses don't deliver enough energy to sound like anything but a small click. Just shows how this measurement, like most others, can be gamed a bit.

Nov 20, 2015 at 7:45 PM Post #35 of 50

I actually think that I can hear when compression is applied or at least when it is used too much.

I do not think that this Sound Liaison album has any or if so at least very very little compression applied. It is simply 3 musicians who has played together for years and adjust their levels
 to each other...nobody plays too loud...it is that simple.

http://www.soundliaison.com/
see Rad Bennett's review;

That seems to make sense. I remember reading somewhere that under ideal conditions, the theoretical maximum for CDs (16 bit) would be DR98. I wonder at what dynamic range the background noise starts becoming intrusive in music.

This is how they do it;
 As they are not ''separated'' by the headphones, the musicians, in order to hear each other are forced to create a natural and musical balance, a balance which is then easily captured by the main stereo pair of microphones. Because of the natural and musical balance the need for compression to control levels is no longer necessary. Since everybody is in the same room, the boxed sound which is so common in many modern recordings is absent and the sound of the room helps ''glue'' the sound of the recording.

Nov 28, 2015 at 6:41 PM Post #38 of 50
So the new Adele album does come with acceptable D.R. but only on LP, where is the 96/24 master download?
Quote:

ArtistAlbumYearDRDR
min
DR
max
CodecSource
Adele25 (96/24 LP Needle Drop) 
i​
11​
09​
12​
losslessVinyl
Adele25 
i​
05​
04​
08​
losslessCD
Adele25 
i​
11​
09​
12​
losslessVinyl
Adele252015
05​
04​
08​
losslessCD
Adele25 (Target Edition) 
i​
06​
04​
08​
losslessCD
Adele25 (Target deluxe edition) 
i​
06​
04​
08​
lossyCD
Adele25 (Mastered for iTunes) 
i​
06​
04​
08​
lossyDownload
Adele252015
05​
04​
08​
losslessDownload

Dec 6, 2015 at 7:27 PM Post #39 of 50
Actually it is crazy considering she has her ''own'' label;
 XL Recordings is a British independent record label which was launched by Nick Halkes, Tim Palmer and Richard Russell with Beggars Banquet Records in 1989 to release its rave and dance music. The label has grown into one of the most commercially successful and influential independent record labels in the world. They operate across a range of genres. British singer Adele is signed to the record label. It is her primary record label, being that it is based in her home country (the United Kingdom), although she is also signed to Columbia records which distributes her music in the United States.

Dec 7, 2015 at 7:37 PM Post #40 of 50
  Actually it is crazy considering she has her ''own'' label;

Well, Loudness still sells best. For Vinyl people use the volume knob correctly so the engineers have more freedom in their mastering. With CD ripped digital files, the average consumer wants the music to be as loud as the rest of his/her music library, so dynamic range compression is unavoidable.
Artists want as many people as possible to like their music and for now, loudness reigns supreme. That might change if the legislation changes (limiting the RMS output and not the peak output for example).

Apr 8, 2016 at 12:22 PM Post #43 of 50
Apr 9, 2016 at 5:54 AM Post #44 of 50

Users who are viewing this thread

Back